Careful booking cruise before Dry Dock

Carol28

We just got off the Koningsdam and now she is heading for Dry dock.  Please be forewarned. There is a pre-dock preparation that happens the week before dry dock. Unfortunately, the noise was right outside our cabin for an 11 day cruise.  Yes, we complained. And, it did not stop.  We were compensated and we have no complaints about that, but the noise did ruin our quiet time in our room. We stay in our cabin in the afternoon.  The noise could be from 7:15 am sometimes until 5:00 pm, though they did say it could go until 7:00 pm. 

And, I understand the week after the dry dock, they are finishing up.

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam in VC 6114 last December before that drydock. The only disruption was the last night they started tearing out the stairwell and elevator lobby carpeting. The workers had music playing until I asked them to stop. They finished quickly. The crew moving the suitcases were actually louder.

3 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

What cabin were you in?  (Just wondering where the work was going on and what they were prepping for.)

We were in 7120.  Another couple we met had problems with their cabin air-conditioning. 

I booked Carnival Miracle for a cruise just before a drydock.  Did not know that when I did, but my experience was perfectly fine.  I did a Behind the Fun Tour on the ship and witnessed some of the "below passenger decks" preparation that goes on.  Very interesting, particularly if one has done such a tour during a "normal" cruise.  The only "problem" that the wine cellars were emptied of my preferred wine that was part of my wine package.  It was resolved by my Wine Steward with serving a much better quality of wine than what was part of my package!

• Like 1

Over the years ... we've been on two sailings immediately before dry dock.

Mostly, they began work at night in areas not used by passengers.  

Did smell paint & varnish in some places but nothing major.  

Edited by OCruisers

40 minutes ago, BJzink said:

I remember when the Statendam was preparing to be sold several years ago - saw several similar complaints about the workmen getting too  eager to do the prep for the sale.  

Sorry, I disagree with your comment.  I was aboard for the Statendam's final HAL sailing from Seattle to Singapore.  It was a HAL cruise in the best of HAL's traditions.  Nothing was amiss.  Mike Mahn was our Hotel Director.  Our departure from Seattle was memorable.  Captain Norman was an able navigator that kept us in the best of seas that he could during a time when King Neptune was upset.    Service, cuisine, entertainment (which included several sessions of informative programs provided by Bridge and Engine Room Officers/Cadets that I have never witnessed on any other cruise), the ship's up-keep was better than what I have observed on the Amsterdam at times.  

That cruise on the Statendam remains one of my most cherished travel memories!

Be not afraid of a pre or post cruise of a ship's drydock.  If all is not well, consider your experience as a "travel adventure".  And, is this not why many of us continue to travel?  

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of the disturbance, @Carol28.  Glad to hear HAL stepped up with some agreeable compensation for you.

Here’s hoping all goes well in drydock for K’dam.  We’re anxiousoy awaiting stepping aboard immediately following, her Mon 10-Dec-2018 cruise.

We pass on pre and post drydock cruises.  There is so much choice out there- so many  other great cruise lines and great ships out there that we do not even have to consider  this.  Same for ships that have large groups on them.  Easy to avoid, the challenge is often getting the data prior to booking.

We have enough travel adventures in our life arising for things beyond our control.   Timing a cruise on a specific ship is something that we can control.

On 12/2/2018 at 7:38 PM, OCruisers said:

Over the years ... we've been on two sailings immediately before dry dock.

Mostly, they began work at night in areas not used by passengers.  

Did smell paint & varnish in some places but nothing major.  

I've done that as well. It's good to know the "in port availability" (the correct term, as "dry dock" is a very specific and expensive procedure that has nothing to do with refurbishing or modifying topside spaces) times, as it can be unpleasant both before and after.  The converse of that is often the pre-overhaul cruise is discounted. It's important to know up front, and if possible, know what work will be done and make your cabin selection accordingly. 

1 hour ago, MauiWowie57 said:

I've done that as well. It's good to know the "in port availability" (the correct term, as "dry dock" is a very specific and expensive procedure that has nothing to do with refurbishing or modifying topside spaces) times, as it can be unpleasant both before and after.  The converse of that is often the pre-overhaul cruise is discounted. It's important to know up front, and if possible, know what work will be done and make your cabin selection accordingly. 

Thank you for the information. I will be calling my travel agent about  this when she returns from her vacation.