Worried About Kidney Stones

Chicopee

Hi...  Nervous nellie here...

My spouse was recently diagnosed with kidney stones and is undergoing treatment.  However, we know it may happen again.  Has anyone had an attack while on board and how was it handled?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I have had kidney stones for over 30 years. I have 3 right now, which are generally not threatening. It has never affected cruising.

Kidney stones don't develop quickly. If your spouse has had a recent xray, (like in the last few months prior to a cruise)they will know if any are present after treatment. So if none are currently present, you won't grow any in a short enough time to impact cruising.

I would expect a cruise ship would be able to give pain meds, and meds like Flomax to possibly help a stone pass. Beyond that, I wouldn't expect a ship to be able to do much.

• Like 1

Not on a cruise ship, but I have had kidney stones. Most painful thing I've ever experienced, they have my absolute sympathy.

Best advice would be to ensure they make the requested lifestyle changes to reduce the chances of another stone on the cruise, drink plenty of water while on the cruise, and definitely make sure you have adequate insurance coverage. 

Regarding handling them on the cruise, my guess is that since kidney stones are rarely life threatening, the on board doctor would treat for pain until the next port, at which point you'd have to decide if they wanted to get off to seek treatment, or stay on board in pain until you reach home port.

4 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Have your doctor prescribe pain medication.

Its difficult to get prescriptions for "good" pain medication on a just-in-case basis any more. The ship will have a supply, but you'll need to pay the ship up front for any medical services and file with your health insurer (and travel insurance, if you have any).

Having experienced stones, I understand your concern.  Your doctor can provide advice reflecting your individual situation.  Mine urges plenty of water, citrus juices, reducing sodium intake, and limiting animal protein. The fact is that stones, while unbelievably painful, represent just one of many medical conditions you might experience on a cruise - and likely not the most dangerous.

You should be speaking to your doctor about this, not on a cruise website....and yes, I had a kidney stone removed surgically from my bladder.  All cases are different.  Please talk to the doctor about your particular circumstances.  I wish you the very best of luck.

• Like 1

When working on an NCL ship, I dehydrated myself in the engine room, and developed a stone.  First and only one in my life.  Went to medical, they gave me two liters of saline to rehydrate, and pain meds, and the "tea strainer".  Passed the bugger in a couple of days, was sent to the hospital for follow up and analysis of stone.  Had a recent sonogram, no stones currently.  The ship will be able to handle it if your spouse has a stone, unless they are unable to pass it due to size.  But they will send you to the hospital as soon as possible for more extensive treatment.

• Like 2

My husband had a kidney stone on one of our cruises. They gave him a full day a iv's and the next day he was good. He had to skip one of the excursions but we were refunded our money for it. Definitely get insurance!!!! He was lucky to have passed it.

1 hour ago, Smurf2017 said:

Perhaps it's different your side of the pond, but in the UK insurance rarely covers pre-existing conditions. You should check before relying on insurance to cover your costs. 

In the US, pre-existing conditions are typically covered (on those policies that will cover pre-existing conditions) when the policy is purchased within 10-14 days of the initial trip payment. There are a few policies that will cover pre-existing conditions when purchased earlier than 24 hours after final payment.

If the waiver isn't available, the look-back period varies among policies. I've seen look back periods on the order of 60 days and look back periods on the order of 6-12 months. If your condition hasn't required medical attention within the look back period (including adjustment of medical prescriptions) you're not considered to have a pre-existing condition.

All of this will be laid out in the plan description, which is available to read before purchasing. I always do my best to understand the policy terms and limitations before buying.

Having the waiver greatly reduces the number of questions that have to be answered about the condition, in the event that anything occurs and a claim is made.

10 hours ago, Chicopee said:

Hi...  Nervous nellie here...

My spouse was recently diagnosed with kidney stones and is undergoing treatment.  However, we know it may happen again.  Has anyone had an attack while on board and how was it handled?

Thanks in advance for any info.

What is the treatment?  When is your cruise?

Edited by davekathy

9 hours ago, Smurf2017 said:

Perhaps it's different your side of the pond, but in the UK insurance rarely covers pre-existing conditions. You should check before relying on insurance to cover your costs. 

Let me qualify that. here in the UK you should always tell your insurer about any pre existing medical conditions. They may agree to provide cover for them at an extra charge or give you cover but not for that specific medical issue. I have pre existing conditions that are covered for only a few pounds a year addition to the premium.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, davecttr said:

Let me qualify that. here in the UK you should always tell your insurer about any pre existing medical conditions. They may agree to provide cover for them at an extra charge or give you cover but not for that specific medical issue. I have pre existing conditions that are covered for only a few pounds a year addition to the premium.

I was trying to generalise Dave in order to get the point across to the OP not to rely on insurance unless it specifically covers that condition. I totally agree with what you say and cannot stress highly enough to any Brits how important it is not to hide any pre-existing conditions. In the event of a claim, the insurance companies will look for any excuse not to pay. Before they will authorise a clinic or hospital to give treatment, they first contact the GP for a copy of the medical record. Any discrepancy between that and what had been declared at the time the policy was taken out is enough to decline a claim. 

5 hours ago, Smurf2017 said:

I was trying to generalise Dave in order to get the point across to the OP not to rely on insurance unless it specifically covers that condition. I totally agree with what you say and cannot stress highly enough to any Brits how important it is not to hide any pre-existing conditions. In the event of a claim, the insurance companies will look for any excuse not to pay. Before they will authorise a clinic or hospital to give treatment, they first contact the GP for a copy of the medical record. Any discrepancy between that and what had been declared at the time the policy was taken out is enough to decline a claim. 

Indeed, the insurance companies can be nasty in their attempts to refuse a claim. I remember the story from years ago about a man who had taken out mortgage insurance and had to claim after developing a unexpected heart condition. The insurance company rejected the claim because he had not told them about his fathers hereditary kidney condition. He had not told them because he did not know about the condition and his father had never told him and was actually dead!. the story was eventually aired on the local BBC TV news programme, after which the insurance company changed their mind and paid the claim.

8 hours ago, davecttr said:

Indeed, the insurance companies can be nasty in their attempts to refuse a claim. I remember the story from years ago about a man who had taken out mortgage insurance and had to claim after developing a unexpected heart condition. The insurance company rejected the claim because he had not told them about his fathers hereditary kidney condition. He had not told them because he did not know about the condition and his father had never told him and was actually dead!. the story was eventually aired on the local BBC TV news programme, after which the insurance company changed their mind and paid the claim.

Wow! And thanks for that. Who would ever think that we should notify hereditary conditions. Now I have to rethink my declarations. 

Be prepared is the best advice. I had about seven stones in a row about 7 years ago and decided that I'd had enough of this painful situation. Being a RN, I began to do serious research and noted out what I felt was important and what was not.

First, what kind of kidney stones was I faced with: calcium stones, the most common - yea!

Was I drinking too much soda and/or ice tea: probably. Stopped soda completely.

Was too much chocolate a problem: No

Did I drink enough water throughout the day: No

Then I did some real research however, this doesn't mean it will help anyone else. I started taking a daily dose of Potassium Citrate and Folic Acid and also increased my clear fluid intake. No further stones for six years, UNTIL last January while on The Viking Sea. Got that initial "feeling" in the left kidney area. Starting drinking water by the liters and I always carry Renavive (see their website) and Vicodin (requires Rx). Took some Renavive and after about 20 minutes was pain free. Urinated the little devil out 5 days later, with no difficulty and was back at home.

• 2 weeks later...

I had a stone shift on a recent cruise (they only hurt when they are in motion, banging against the walls of that fragile tube).  Spent the day in bed with a heating pad, Advil and plenty of liquids.

The room steward, there to tidy up at about 2pm, was surprised to find me in bed, and offered a quick service.  He replaced towels, took dishes, quick-cleaned the bathroom... and then offered to tidy the bed.  Was lovely to have the pillows fluffed, sheets smoothed... he practically tucked me back in. 

AND, he offered to bring me broth or juice.  "just call me".   Dude earned his tip, for sure!