Men's sportscoat or short sleeved dressy shirts

Marie50

I have a related, for some, question.

How you you personally rate the overall dining experience in Oceania’s Specialties Restaurants? We’re talking food, service, and ambiance. We can pick the Polo Grill as an example.

(a) Equivalent to a Michelin starred restaurant;

(b) equivalent to a Morton’s or Fleming’s;

(c) Equivalent to a Longhorn or K- Bob Steak House style restaurant;

(d) Much like the commodity sit downs like TGIF, Ruby Tuesday, or An Outback Steak House;

(e) Maybe somewhere between ( b) and ( c) above.

While perfecting realizing that some would show up in grunge at the French Laundry or a Michelin 3 Star, I believe most people dress for an establishment correspondent to their overall respect and/ or vision of that establishment. Therefore, if one’s answer to the above is “ (d)”, then they would feel totally justified dressing for the PG as they would for TGIF, and so forth. Others, that believe the answer is (b) , May have an entirely different take on the issue.

It will be interesting to get the comparable views views on this issue.

30 minutes ago, sammiedawg said:

This rings true, we’ve sat with a few newbie O cruisers wearing sport coats.  Seasoned O cruisers are less likely to wear them.   I see maybe a quarter of the men in sport coats in the specialties.  It is perfectly fine to wear nice shirts, nice polo shirts.  

I have never seen a tux on O.  I have seen a couple Scottish kilts. I’ve seen a handful of men in suits and ties and they looked over dressed.  

Women do not wear prom dresses. 

We liked Oceania immediately because of the country club casual dress.  We’ve ruled out trying a few cruise lines that have  the old fashioned, “ you must dress up”  rule. 

Several years  ago  there were  a small group  maybe friends

they had Tuxes  & ball gowns   but they were all together 

If it had been one  couple  they may have felt overdressed  😉

16 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I am sure there is  a point to your  post   but  who really cares

If you do not like the way others  dress   then make a complaint to them or management  for allowing such people to cruise  on the ship  let alone dine  with less than your requirements in dining attire

You are really getting tiresome  with your  attitude towards  others

done!!

1 hour ago, sammiedawg said:

This rings true, we’ve sat with a few newbie O cruisers wearing sport coats.  Seasoned O cruisers are less likely to wear them.   I see maybe a quarter of the men in sport coats in the specialties.  It is perfectly fine to wear nice shirts, nice polo shirts.  

I have never seen a tux on O.  I have seen a couple Scottish kilts. I’ve seen a handful of men in suits and ties and they looked over dressed.  

Women do not wear prom dresses. 

We liked Oceania immediately because of the country club casual dress.  We’ve ruled out trying a few cruise lines that have  the old fashioned, “ you must dress up”  rule. 

Agree with you (& Lyn) - this reflects the changing clientele on Oceania. Many cruisers come from mass market lines where both, more formal and less formal dress code, are the rule. Hence, it is understandable that they would dress on their first Oceania cruise the way they are used to on other lines. Oceania regulars (and repeat “newbies”) are more likely to dress more casually (yet nicely).

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Agree with you (& Lyn) - this reflects the changing clientele on Oceania. Many cruisers come from mass market lines where both, more formal and less formal dress code, are the rule. Hence, it is understandable that they would dress on their first Oceania cruise the way they are used to on other lines. Oceania regulars (and repeat “newbies”) are more likely to dress more casually (yet nicely).

Perhaps you haven't been on a mass market line in recent years. Even on those that still have a 'formal night" (and some don't and haven't for years), many passengers don't wear a jacket. The formal night dress code isn't enforced on many lines, despite what the "dress code" may say. If anything I think that mass market line passengers new to cruising Oceania may mistakenly think that as a more upscale product Oceania will be "dressier" than the mass market lines.

Edited by njhorseman

24 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

If anything I think that mass market line passengers new to cruising Oceania may mistakenly think that as a more upscale product Oceania will be "dressier" than the mass market lines.

That is certainly possible. What about those that “under-dress” with flip-flops and shorts/jeans to MDR? What are they thinking?

BTW - I was on Princess last year and saw a lot more suits/jackets on formal nights than I ever see on Oceania. That said, I agree that most cruise lines have relaxed their strict dress codes over the years.

Edited by Paulchili

4 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I have a related, for some, question.

How you you personally rate the overall dining experience in Oceania’s Specialties Restaurants? We’re talking food, service, and ambiance. We can pick the Polo Grill as an example.

(a) Equivalent to a Michelin starred restaurant;

(b) equivalent to a Morton’s or Fleming’s;

(c) Equivalent to a Longhorn or K- Bob Steak House style restaurant;

(d) Much like the commodity sit downs like TGIF, Ruby Tuesday, or An Outback Steak House;

(e) Maybe somewhere between ( b) and ( c) above.

While perfecting realizing that some would show up in grunge at the French Laundry or a Michelin 3 Star, I believe most people dress for an establishment correspondent to their overall respect and/ or vision of that establishment. Therefore, if one’s answer to the above is “ (d)”, then they would feel totally justified dressing for the PG as they would for TGIF, and so forth. Others, that believe the answer is (b) , May have an entirely different take on the issue.

I would say E, but closer to C most of time in food quality, while ambience is closer to B. 

I see your point, but I'm not necessarily going to dress any different because of it. I wear a sport coat occasionally on Oceania, and usually always bring one, but I wear it when I want to, not when other people think I should. 

I might wear dress pants & TB shirt to a specialty, or I might wear my Jacket. It's all acceptable to me. 

That is certainly possible. What about those that “under-dress” with flip-flops and shorts/jeans to MDR? What are they thinking?

BTW - I was on Princess last year and saw a lot more suits/jackets on formal nights than I ever see on Oceania. That said, I agree that most cruise lines have relaxed their strict dress codes over the years.

The under  dressers are probably wearing the same things they do on NCL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival and assuming that fits the Oceania resort/country club casual code.

I would hope you saw more suits and jackets on Princess formal nights than you ever see on Oceania because Princess actually does have formal nights and a substantial percentage of cruisers will follow that code...but...in the "good old days" everyone followed the code because if they didn't they would be turned away from the dining room, whereas now the cruise lines often don't enforce the dress code. I suspect you also saw a substantial number of cruisers who didn't follow the formal night code, whereas you never saw that years ago.

21 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

The under  dressers are probably wearing the same things they do on NCL, Royal Caribbean and Carnival and assuming that fits the Oceania resort/country club casual code.

Isn’t that exactly what I said in post #29?

Those that wear jackets on O are probably the ones that wore jackets on the formal nights on mass market lines and those that underdress are the ones that underdressed on those lines (and not just on formal nights).

I only mentioned my Princess cruise because you thought I hadn’t been on a mass market line recently - I was and while some passengers don’t obey the dress code most of them still wear jackets/suits on those nights.

Edited by Paulchili

ORV;

I agree wholeheartedly with both your assessments. I added (e) at the last because that where I believe they lie, a tweener.

I most often wear a sports jacket to the Specialties, but my TBs something appears also depending upon mood and location.

2 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Isn’t that exactly what I said in post #29?

Those that wear jackets on O are probably the ones that wore jackets the formal nights on mass market lines and those that underdress are the ones that underdressed on those lines (and not just on formal nights).

No...I don't think that's exactly what you said in #29, because your last sentence was "Oceania regulars (and repeat “newbies”) are more likely to dress more casually (yet nicely).", which to me says that the "newbies" are dressing more formally...which could mean either they're used to dressing for formal night on the mass market line so they're doing the same on Oceania, or equally it could mean they weren't dressing up on the mass market line and think the more upscale Oceania warrants fancier dress.

Anyway, I think we're just chasing our tails here and I don't think we can conclude that it's really one or the other...there's probably some validity to both sides of the argument.

By “repeat newbies” I meant those that are on their second (or later) O cruise - i.e. when they were true newbies they dressed more formally but as “repeat newbies”  (no longer true newbies) they have observed that they can “dress more casually” on Oceania.

Perhaps it was a poor choice of words but I hope that this makes things a little clearer - or maybe not 🙂

Edited by Paulchili

By “repeat newbies” I meant those that are on their second (or later) O cruise - i.e. when they were true newbies they dressed more formally but as “repeat newbies”  (no longer true newbies) they have observed that they can “dress more casually” on Oceania.

Perhaps it was a poor choice of words but I hope that this makes things a little clearer - or maybe not 🙂

No worries 😉 we’re newbies for our TA on O but not it cruising ! As with HAL dress codes have changed over the years. For us 

we travel with cruising and extended land vacations. We will go to our condo in  Nice on  la Angles Promenade for a month and always travel along the coast. The last thing my DH would do is bring a sport coat with our luggage. So we dress upscale casual with a nice Tommy Bahama camp shirt linen pants nice sport dress shoes. I wear Tommy Bahama dress and flats!! Works well for us. We do see wonderful people on our cruises wearing special dresses and even jackets to their dinners! 

Were just not into that!! We were attracted to O due to our ending of our  cruise on HAL from our home San Diego to FLL doing the Panama Canal. We wanted to continue on doing a TA to The Med which they were not doing BUT O WAS 3 days later from Miami to Rome👍👍👍

O offers so much more even with us being 4 Star Mariners with many perks!

no turning back. Looking forward to Oceania.

Denise😊

When is a newbie no longer a newbie? Is a repeat newbie allowed to speak to a non-newbie who apparently has only cruised Oceania and therefore has never been a newbie? Is there a repeat-repeat newbie? Is it based number of cruises or duration? Perhaps a dollar threshold? Is there a secret handshake? If I had switched from Regent to Oceania would I be less of a newbie than if I had switched from Celebrity? 

30 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

When is a newbie no longer a newbie? Is a repeat newbie allowed to speak to a non-newbie who apparently has only cruised Oceania and therefore has never been a newbie? Is there a repeat-repeat newbie? Is it based number of cruises or duration? Perhaps a dollar threshold? Is there a secret handshake? If I had switched from Regent to Oceania would I be less of a newbie than if I had switched from Celebrity? 

I don't see why newbie needs to be seen as a pejorative.

New clients are essential to ANY business.

Okay....I am going on O for the first time in January for a full world cruise.   I have done my “due diligence “, and read these comments from O regulars, as well as the guidelines posted on O’s website, and think that I completely “get” what would be considered “appropriate “.

That said, I plan on taking along a blazer jacket, even though I may never feel the need to wear it on the entire six month long cruise.   But I will feel more comfortable knowing that I have it with me in case I ever do...JMHO 🙂

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, bob brown said:

Okay....I am going on O for the first time in January for a full world cruise.   I have done my “due diligence “, and read these comments from O regulars, as well as the guidelines posted on O’s website, and think that I completely “get” what would be considered “appropriate “.

That said, I plan on taking along a blazer jacket, even though I may never feel the need to wear it on the entire six month long cruise.   But I will feel more comfortable knowing that I have it with me in case I ever do...JMHO 🙂

Good for you! WOW what a fantastic cruise and ship you’ll be on. Have a wonderful time! Smooth Sailings and Bon Voyage 

Denise😊

• Thanks 1

On 12/3/2018 at 6:25 PM, LHT28 said:

some people  are  so judgemental  of others on how they dress  what wine they drink  what excursions they take

the list goes on

DH  no longer takes  a blazer   it is  a personal choice

I agree.

To the OP, your husband should feel free to wear a baseball cap if he wishes. 

4 minutes ago, neepawa said:

Please do not encourage anyone to wear a baseball cap indoors, especially in any dining area.

Cheers,

Don

Please don’t feed the trolls. They instigate and then sit back and enjoy watching the infighting they instigated.

• Like 1