Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Marie50

Men's sportscoat or short sleeved dressy shirts

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Please don’t feed the trolls. They instigate and then sit back and enjoy watching the infighting they instigated.

 

Having said that, and while I would never wear a ball cap while eating, the Currents specifically allows them in the GDR for breakfast and lunch, and in the Terrace for all meals. Go figure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ORV said:

 

Having said that, and while I would never wear a ball cap while eating, the Currents specifically allows them in the GDR for breakfast and lunch, and in the Terrace for all meals. Go figure. 

Despite the fact that they are allowed I hope it doesn’t become a trend. Those that require head covering for religious reasons have other options than baseball caps. In my book baseball caps are acceptable for outdoors dining but not indoors.

JMO - for others YMMV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Paulchili said:

Despite the fact that they are allowed I hope it doesn’t become a trend. Those that require head covering for religious reasons have other options than baseball caps. In my book baseball caps are acceptable for outdoors dining but not indoors.

JMO - for others YMMV.

The problem isn't wearing it while eating, but with a gentleman wearing a hat indoors.

Some people just aint got no couth and Oceania isn't in the business of legislating manners.

Another in a series of those small "lack of respect for others" issues which so thrill the small minded.

I used to get upset about it, now I just revel in my own private schadenfreude.  🤐

Edited by StanandJim

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StanandJim said:

The problem isn't wearing it while eating, but with a gentleman wearing a hat indoors.

Some people just aint got no couth and Oceania isn't in the business of legislating manners.

Another in a series of those small "lack of respect for others" issues which so thrill the small minded.

I used to get upset about it, now I just revel in my own private schadenfreude.  🤐

Ditto 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MarkieMarkNYC said:

I agree.

To the OP, your husband should feel free to wear a baseball cap if he wishes. 

Wearing a baseball cap indoors to any meal is bad decorum enough. There is, however, a hygiene issue as well. Some of these slobs take the hat off and place it right side up on the table (sweatband and all).

Please don't encourage wearing hats to meals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2018 at 5:10 AM, pinotlover said:

Simple example is on our Nautica February cruise a malepassenger was denied entry to Toscana attempting to wear flip flops. Six of We passengers were seated with his wife and waited for his return before ordering. And we waited and waited. About 25 minutes later he returned with regular socks and shoes on. That cruiser knew full well that flip flops weren’t allowed.

 

Presumably the flip flop wearer was a friend, or part of a pre-arranged group?

 

Otherwise, I would have expected the Maitre'D to ask the wife the wife to take a seat, and seat the remaining guests at a smaller table - or with other guests looking to share.

 

I would certainly not be impressed having to wait 25 mins for the recalcitrant guest to arrive!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bandbox;

 

As memory serves me, none of we four couples had ever meet. They opted to seat the lady and allow the group to wait.

 

The wait staff just didn’t calculate how long it would take to go from the top aft of the ship to the lower forward of the ship, change shoes, and return. We were well passed introductions before he returned!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/6/2018 at 3:39 AM, Rob the Cruiser said:

When is a newbie no longer a newbie? Is a repeat newbie allowed to speak to a non-newbie who apparently has only cruised Oceania and therefore has never been a newbie? Is there a repeat-repeat newbie? Is it based number of cruises or duration? Perhaps a dollar threshold? Is there a secret handshake? If I had switched from Regent to Oceania would I be less of a newbie than if I had switched from Celebrity? 

 

 

Behind this slightly flippant remark lies a very serious question.

 
According to Google, the definition of a newbie is "an inexperienced newcomer to a particular activity."
Therefore, the status of newbie is entirely dependent on the definition of an activity.  For example a passenger could be a non-newbie on Oceania, whilst a newbie on the Renaissance class of ships.
 
Which leads to an intriguing observation...  
The usage of the term newbie has varied considerably over the years.  However, there are 2 distinct spikes:
1. In the 1600’s there was a significant increase in the usage of the word.  This coincides with the end of the Renaissance Period
2. From 2000 onwards, there was another significant increase in the usage of the “newbie” - which coincides with the demise of the Renaissance Cruise line.
Clearly this is no coincidence....
 
Also, observant readers of Cruise Critic will be aware that many newbies in the current era fret over what clothing attire is suitable to wear to the Grand Dining Room.
 
However, we can take comfort that newbies in the 1600’s experienced exactly the insecurities.  Looking back at the first cruise to America (onboard the MayFlower), one passenger carried 126 pairs of shoes and 13 pairs of boots in his luggage.
It is not clear if this included flip-flops.  Unfortunately it is not clear from the historical documents whether or not the maitre d' sent the passenger back to his cabin at dinner time to get changed.
 

Newbie.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Baandb said:

 

 

Behind this slightly flippant remark lies a very serious question.

 
According to Google, the definition of a newbie is "an inexperienced newcomer to a particular activity."
Therefore, the status of newbie is entirely dependent on the definition of an activity.  For example a passenger could be a non-newbie on Oceania, whilst a newbie on the Renaissance class of ships.
 
Which leads to an intriguing observation...  
The usage of the term newbie has varied considerably over the years.  However, there are 2 distinct spikes:
1. In the 1600’s there was a significant increase in the usage of the word.  This coincides with the end of the Renaissance Period
2. From 2000 onwards, there was another significant increase in the usage of the “newbie” - which coincides with the demise of the Renaissance Cruise line.
Clearly this is no coincidence....
 
Also, observant readers of Cruise Critic will be aware that many newbies in the current era fret over what clothing attire is suitable to wear to the Grand Dining Room.
 
However, we can take comfort that newbies in the 1600’s experienced exactly the insecurities.  Looking back at the first cruise to America (onboard the MayFlower), one passenger carried 126 pairs of shoes and 13 pairs of boots in his luggage.
It is not clear if this included flip-flops.  Unfortunately it is not clear from the historical documents whether or not the maitre d' sent the passenger back to his cabin at dinner time to get changed.
 

Newbie.png

What they didn't state in that article is that the passenger on the Mayflower was an ancestor of shoe maven CD Peter Roberts. 

 

Funny stuff there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/5/2018 at 9:39 AM, Rob the Cruiser said:

When is a newbie no longer a newbie? Is a repeat newbie allowed to speak to a non-newbie who apparently has only cruised Oceania and therefore has never been a newbie? Is there a repeat-repeat newbie? Is it based number of cruises or duration? Perhaps a dollar threshold? Is there a secret handshake? If I had switched from Regent to Oceania would I be less of a newbie than if I had switched from Celebrity? 

Hope I'm not considered a newbie, First Oceania cruise coming up on Insignia Dec 17. I've been on quite a few other ships.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OldSalt_GC said:

Hope I'm not considered a newbie, First Oceania cruise coming up on Insignia Dec 17. I've been on quite a few other ships.

Maybe  as far as this is your 1st Oceania  cruise 

they do some things differently than other lines

Enjoy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Maybe  as far as this is your 1st Oceania  cruise 

they do some things differently than other lines

Enjoy

Exactly - you are a newbie to Oceania as you are not familiar with their product. That is not meant as a derogatory term - only a descriptive one. You may know many things in general about cruising and specifically about the lines you have cruised on but not necessarily about Oceania's product & policies that are constantly discussed here.

You won't be an Oceania newbie for long - if you like your O cruise and decide to return you'll be a repeat O cruiser :classic_wink:

PS Before I had my first (and only) Crystal cruise I went on their boards and asked many questions about Crystal as a NEWBIE to Crystal (despite our extensive cruising experience). I am sure you know a lot about Windjammer and I know nothing about them - I would be a newbie there.

Edited by Paulchili

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Exactly!  I agree with Lyn and Paul.  Nothing wrong in being a newbie anyway ... we all were once!!

 

Most Oceania passengers are repeaters, that's all.  If you are familiar with other lines, it won't take you long to figure out the differences.  (Say, like the liquor policy!)

 

Welcome to Oceania.

 

Mura

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just my two cents - I think people should do what is most comfortable for them.  My husband wears a suit to the specialty restaurants, which is most comfortable for him.  Wearing a suit for him is like someone else wearing jeans -its no big deal.   And yes I know there are no jeans allowed in the specialty restaurants.  People should dress what makes them feel good and be comfortable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oceania has a very basic easy to abide by dress code. If some find that dress code uncomfortable then they need to find another line. For some, only grunge is comfortable. What makes people “ comfortable “ is not an acceptable dress code on an upscale line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OP:

single most important thing: don't try to self serve in the Terrace Café.

also, don't be offended when almost everyone onboard but you gets an invite to one of the Oceania Club receptions. Once you've got one Oceania cruise done, you'll be in the "Club" and get invited on all future cruises.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got off of the Riviera this morning.  Every night we saw men in shirts with collars.  Short sleeve, golf shirts, long sleeved shirts and some, usually in the specialty restaurants, in jackets.  Heard from many people that you'd be turned away if you aren't wearing a collar. Especially out of place in the specialty restaurants.   When we were dining in Polo the other night a man came in wearing just a round neck t-shirt.  Was very surprised that they seated him.  I meant to ask the waiter but didn't get the chance.  Still wondering.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much fake news. There are many nice shirts without a collar. I rarely wear one and if I did it would be with a jacket. I've seen plenty of men on Oceania in the specialties with a non collared shirt. But they're not a t shirt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say that I've ever seen a gentleman denied access because his shirt didn't have a collar.  Trying to think what DH wears to dinners but I'm sure that most of his shirts don't have collars ... I could be wrong.

 

I've never been sure, though, if the ban on t-shirts is what I could call "undershirts".  I have plenty of well designed t-shirts that I think should pass muster.  I just never pushed the issue.

 

Mura

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have lots of collared polo shirts, and of course long sleeve button down dress shirts.   I am having a difficult time finding short sleeve button down dress shirts, in almost every store I have looked....any suggestion's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If by button down you mean buttons by the neck where the tie comes through then Ralph Lauren Polo (brand, not the style) makes them. Same deal if you mean buttons up as opposed to pulling over your head. 

 

I've got a closet full of them from when I actually worked for a living and had to occasionally dress up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bob brown said:

I have lots of collared polo shirts, and of course long sleeve button down dress shirts.   I am having a difficult time finding short sleeve button down dress shirts, in almost every store I have looked....any suggestion's?

 

Out of season in the east. I suggest LLBean online. If they have a store in your area they might have some in stock at the store. Check the clearence rack.  Last winter their stock at the store here was minimal. 

Edited by Charles4515

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 12:21 PM, Carol From California said:

My husband usually does not pack a sportscoat. Short sleeve collared shirts will be fine.  

We pack a sports coat(or is it blazer?)The Riviera last Jan. was a bit dressy. I'm basing my "opines" on Riviera. Jacques tended to have the most sport coats. I would recommend a few long sleeve dress type shirts if going to Jacques. Other than that short sleeve is fine. I did find jeans "banned" in the rest.(posted notice outside each rest.) at night. Khaki type pants seemed to be the rule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...