Cruise Critic Community
mukio89

Spring Break Carnival Horizon cruise good idea?

So I am booked on a havana cabana on the Horizon for the week of 03/17. Payment is due Jan 1st and now I am worried spring break may not be the best time to go. Any advice?

We went on one Spring Break cruise and it was too much for me. The parents were totally checked out and the kids ruled the ship. However, the Havana cabin will offer you some protection from that chaos!!!

spring break is a month long nationwide, even our local college and high schools are 2 weeks apart. College students are generally in deep debt do-do, cruising is probably not on the top of their financial list, especially Havana Cabana. Have a great cruise, mostly the kiddos stay to themselves. 

In a Havana cabin, you will be somewhat isolated from the hoi polloi.  No children allowed until after 7P.  And probably too expensive for college students.  You are on the 6-day which is a reasonable cruise time wise for families during spring breaks.

Spring breaks do vary from school district to school district and college to college. 

So unless you plan on spending an inordinate amount of time up on the Lido deck or Serenity deck, the ship will not be any more crowded than it was on any summer sailing.

3 hours ago, mukio89 said:

So I am booked on a havana cabana on the Horizon for the week of 03/17. Payment is due Jan 1st and now I am worried spring break may not be the best time to go. Any advice?

Probably not a good idea, but I am going anyways!!

2 hours ago, Scott D said:

Did that time of year ones. Never again for us.

I don't think I would do that either.  I'm all about saving money.  Summer and Spring Break is very expensive.  I wonder if teachers can take time off during the school year or must they plan their vacations around school? 

6 hours ago, mukio89 said:

I have done many spring break cruises.   I have never been bothered by the amount of kids on board.   They really don't want to hang out with the adults..lol

I also just booked the Horizon for March 23rd for the 8 day.   I do have a 12 year old DD ....she likes to just hang out with me and do what I do.   I also love to hang out on the balcony and do all the activities...like trivia, dance stuff and watch the contests.  

Also...if you have a Havana room booked...you can hang out back there much of the time...there wont be much bothering you there from what I have read.

I would just go and enjoy what you like to do...others will do what they enjoy.

I've done several Spring Break, Christmas and Thanksgiving onboard Carnival.   While all of them were crowded, for the most part it was a ton of families.  Lots of kids yes, but we didn't find that the kids "took over" the ship or cause any major issues.  We didn't find our spring break cruise to be a much, much different demographic than Christmas or Thanksgiving.  It wasn't rowdy on our 7-day Mexico Spring Break cruise. 

I was just on the Horizon Thanksgiving cruise and it was awesome!!  Really loved it.  Have a blast!     

On 12/3/2018 at 2:59 PM, LuckyStar said:

I don't think I would do that either.  I'm all about saving money.  Summer and Spring Break is very expensive.  I wonder if teachers can take time off during the school year or must they plan their vacations around school? 

In my district,  we are contractually prohibited from taking vacations during student contact days or any day directly before or after a break. Of course people lie and call in sick from the beach....or they are honest and get it approved for pay-deduct. 

I am a rule-follower who needs my full check, lol, so I can only travel during breaks....BUT I have no shame in allowing my kids to miss a couple days of school to work around my longer breaks. (They have the same number of schools days off, but more random single days whereas I have longer breaks).

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:09 PM, johnnyi said:

I've done several Spring Break, Christmas and Thanksgiving onboard Carnival.   While all of them were crowded, for the most part it was a ton of families.  Lots of kids yes, but we didn't find that the kids "took over" the ship or cause any major issues.  We didn't find our spring break cruise to be a much, much different demographic than Christmas or Thanksgiving.  It wasn't rowdy on our 7-day Mexico Spring Break cruise. 

I was just on the Horizon Thanksgiving cruise and it was awesome!!  Really loved it.  Have a blast!     

We are doing Horizon for 2019 Thanksgiving 🙂 

We did RC this year, it wasn't too bad (our first and only cruise with them).  People were complaining about the amount of kids but really what do you expect when you book it during that time.