Water Rides—Use at Your Risk

Chicago Voyager

I recently went on a NCL Bliss Eastern Caribbean Cruise departing Miami on November 24, 2018.  Just as the ship was leaving St. Thomas, I was seated at the pool deck closest to the exit of the rapid water tube when an emergency was called over the loudspeaker.  

Crew members gradually assembled at the water tube, where an injured young woman was trapped inside.  She suffered a head wound that required 12 stitches, as well as cranial swelling.  Surprisingly, the ship continued to move away from the island as she was being evaluated on board.

The young woman was somehow trapped in the tube.  Crew members did not verify she had exited before sending two heavier males, both of whom collided with her.  About 20 minutes later, the woman emerged with her head wrapped in towels and profuse bleeding.

I spoke with the first male a couple of days later.  He reported he told a crew member that he had “hit something” while flying through the tube, and was shocked to learn that a second passenger was allowed to proceed.  The first passenger sustained bruising to his arms and legs and felt bad for the woman he had struck.

The second male also sought treatment.  He reported that crew members presented him with “legal forms” to sign and asked him to take a blood alcohol test, even though it was four hours after the accident and, more importantly, he did not feel responsible for the woman’s injury.  He had the feeling that NCL was looking to assign blame while protecting its own legal interests.

When the ship docked at Nassau some three days later, the woman who sustained the head wound was sent away by ambulance, with sirens wailing, to a local medical provider. 

After the cruise, I opened up my passenger contract and studied the fine print related to carrier liability.  As a legal layperson, I got the sense that passengers use all ship facilities, including water rides, at their own risk, without recourse or any expected standard of urgent care for bodily injury.

I never spoke with the female, but the reports of the two males were thought-provoking and made me feel reluctant to participate in these types of activities.

Edited by Chicago Voyager
Correct typo
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, ziggyuk said:

I don't think the OP said they went around her.

He reported he told a crew member that he had “hit something” while flying through the tube, and was shocked to learn that a second passenger was allowed to proceed

This indicates he hit the woman and kept on going

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

He reported he told a crew member that he had “hit something” while flying through the tube, and was shocked to learn that a second passenger was allowed to proceed

This indicates he hit the woman and kept on going

Does not mean he passed that women though, he hit her.

Edited by ziggyuk

Wow, just wow.

usually, those sort of legal disclaimers are meant to protect a company against injuries sustained in an event the company has taken all proper precautions and can prove fault on behalf of the injured person.

Typically companies don’t put out disclaimers saying “if, by cause of our negligence, you are injured, you waive your rights...”, so in these cases, if people can prove NCL was negligent in the operation of the water slide (for example by sending more people down the slide without making sure they made it out the other side) then for sure the company can be sued and may be found liable

in reading the reports of this though, I am so thankful to hear that,

although she was severely injured, she was still alive with she got off, it could have been much worse. 

I have anxiety having read this report, even though I never use waterslides.😳

Edited by marktwothousand

Marktwothousand, thank you for your perspective.  I would encourage fellow cruisers to study the fine print governing liability claims and get sound legal guidance.

Following this incident, crew members wearing protective garments performed a cleaning of the tube.  The ride was then closed for the remainder of the cruise.  I wonder what changes will occur before it reopens.

As a first-time NCL passenger, I was quite happy with other aspects of my vacation.  The only reason I share this story is as a point of caution to passengers of any cruise line.  Weigh the risks.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chicago Voyager said:

I recently went on a NCL Bliss Eastern Caribbean Cruise departing Miami on November 24, 2018.  Just as the ship was leaving St. Thomas, I was seated at the pool deck closest to the exit of the rapid water tube when an emergency was called over the loudspeaker.  

Crew members gradually assembled at the water tube, where an injured young woman was trapped inside.  She suffered a head wound that required 12 stitches, as well as cranial swelling.  Surprisingly, the ship continued to move away from the island as she was being evaluated on board.

The young woman was somehow trapped in the tube.  Crew members did not verify she had exited before sending two heavier males, both of whom collided with her.  About 20 minutes later, the woman emerged with her head wrapped in towels and profuse bleeding.

I spoke with the first male a couple of days later.  He reported he told a crew member that he had “hit something” while flying through the tube, and was shocked to learn that a second passenger was allowed to proceed.  The first passenger sustained bruising to his arms and legs and felt bad for the woman he had struck.

The second male also sought treatment.  He reported that crew members presented him with “legal forms” to sign and asked him to take a blood alcohol test, even though it was four hours after the accident and, more importantly, he did not feel responsible for the woman’s injury.  He had the feeling that NCL was looking to assign blame while protecting its own legal interests.

When the ship docked at Nassau some three days later, the woman who sustained the head wound was sent away by ambulance, with sirens wailing, to a local medical provider. 

After the cruise, I opened up my passenger contract and studied the fine print related to carrier liability.  As a legal layperson, I got the sense that passengers use all ship facilities, including water rides, at their own risk, without recourse or any expected standard of urgent care for bodily injury.

I never spoke with the female, but the reports of the two males were thought-provoking and made me feel reluctant to participate in these types of activities.

1) It would actually be unusual to have a head wound that required 12 stitches and not have some swelling.

2) Not surprising at all, in fact it was prudent.  Had medical personnel deemed it appropriate to delay, the captain would have done so.

3) Of course they do.

Quite a melodramatic and hyped posts here. 

@Cruise Master 55: How is it melodramatic?

Isn’t it reasonable to assume the ship is going to operate the slide in such a manner that would reasonably expected to be safe and sound? I’m sure you agree sending someone down the tube when there’s already someone stuck there would generally be considered unsafe, right?

My post was not intended to be “melodramatic.”   To my knowledge, cruise ships are not equipped with MRIs or other specialized equipment to evaluate head trauma.  I cannot see the benefit of waiting three days for an evaluation.

Clearly there is an operational flaw that makes the water tube unsafe.

Frankly, I was considering going through the tube until one of my friends informed me of past problems.  I’m glad I decided to enjoy other available activities. 

• Like 5

I am a lifeguard and swimming instructor in Canada. 

Cruise lines are slowly staffing their pools with lifeguards, however it is very expensive. Even in Canada certain pools are not required to have a lifeguard as long as signage is clear and certain other elements are considered (hotel pools, pools within apt buildings, etc).

Slides have a completely different set of rules in that lifeguards are not needed, only slide attendants. Based on training (or lack thereof), international rules and regulations, and condition of the slide, I'm not surprised an accident such as this occurs.

It is very sad and disturbing when anyone gets hurt, but water slides are dangerous, more so when rules are not followed.

(In this case there should have been a system to confirm visually that the first rider has FULLY EXITED THE SLIDE before letting the next rider in)

• Like 3

We had a similar problem at one of the rides in Atlantis. The hubby is 6'6" and was going down a tube ride, when his legs got stuck in some netting, but his tube kept on going. They saw the tube pop out, sent the next rider, never bothering to make sure the rider came out with the tube. There should have been a warning that it wasn't safe for taller riders, and it likely would have carried such a warning in the US, but you're in a foreign country with more lax rules. Cruise ships are the same - they're mainly flagged in the Bahamas, so same lax rules. 

Gave him a nasty sprained ankle, and some scratches on his back. Atlantis basically refused to even try to help, just tried to rush us off of their property as soon as possible. Wouldn't even give him a bag of ice. Real downer on that vacation. Proceed at your own risk for all slides. 😕

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chicago Voyager said:

My post was not intended to be “melodramatic.”   To my knowledge, cruise ships are not equipped with MRIs or other specialized equipment to evaluate head trauma.  I cannot see the benefit of waiting three days for an evaluation.

Clearly there is an operational flaw that makes the water tube unsafe.

Frankly, I was considering going through the tube until one of my friends informed me of past problems.  I’m glad I decided to enjoy other available activities. 

I don't think it was "melodramatic" at all and I appreciate your post. I am going on the Escape in 47 days and I was thinking about trying the slides. Now I think I will avoid. Thank you for posting 🙂

• Like 4

These slides have this issue on ships and on land, that’s why there is the 100 minimum, but people still get stuck. There should always be someone at the bottom making sure the slide is clear. I’m an Action Park survivor, where people got injured every day and several died, I’m surprised they don’t have basic safety rules enforced.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chicago Voyager said:

Marktwothousand, thank you for your perspective.  I would encourage fellow cruisers to study the fine print governing liability claims and get sound legal guidance.

Following this incident, crew members wearing protective garments performed a cleaning of the tube.  The ride was then closed for the remainder of the cruise.  I wonder what changes will occur before it reopens.

As a first-time NCL passenger, I was quite happy with other aspects of my vacation.  The only reason I share this story is as a point of caution to passengers of any cruise line.  Weigh the risks.

Which tube was this exactly?

Edited by rtkenmore

I am going on the Bliss next month and planned to ride this slide.  I still will but I will carefully watch the few people that go before me and ensure I see them exit the slide before I go.  Also if they asked me to sign some legal forms after an injury and to take a blood alcohol test I would refuse to do that.  

I do not think this post was in any way melodramatic and I'm thankful to the OP for posting this. I would think a head injury should have been more thoroughly checked, but I'm in no way medically trained.

The drop slide is not something I would do myself, but my husband did the one on the Escape. It was after he did the slide that we were told by another passenger about the door they use for people who get stuck. I guess it's good that they have pre-planned an escape route for someone getting stuck, but that's good enough reason for me to stay off of it.

• Like 2