Back from The Edge

cruzemaven

48 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

"Eden" was designed for millennials.  Evidently, this clip from Star Trek is what they're always watching on their phones.  Who knew?

Right? Let's take a whole generation of people who don't even want to actually call someone to order a pizza and force them to interact with weird strangers engaged in some kind of annoying performance art. 🙄

Seriously, if Celebrity wanted to make Eden appealing to people my age (late 30s), I could make a list. None of them involve what they're doing now except for all the plants. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, BeeMinor said:

Right? Let's take a whole generation of people who don't even want to actually call someone to order a pizza and force them to interact with weird strangers engaged in some kind of annoying performance art. 🙄

Seriously, if Celebrity wanted to make Eden appealing to people my age (late 30s), I could make a list. None of them involve what they're doing now except for all the plants. 

It’s just another terrible Celebrity idea along with balconies that are not really balconies and sticking a big, ugly  orange contraption on the side of the ship. Celebrity you are not Carnival or a RL mega ship and guess what that’s what people like about Celebrity. Stick to what you are very good at, a classy cruise line offering great service in a sophisticated environment at a decent price. There are plenty of other options for the percentage of cruisers that want something different.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BeeMinor said:

AHAHAHAHA sorry - I laughed so hard that I sprinkled tea from my nose :classic_laugh:

This is totally priceless...

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, yorky said:

It’s just another terrible Celebrity idea along with balconies that are not really balconies and sticking a big, ugly  orange contraption on the side of the ship. 

But the big orange contraption is a nice handle that you can use to put it in the shopping cart that's the Star and Golden Princess.  Shopping bag in shopping cart.

I have a feeling Eden will eventually transform into a different concept.  They will keep it over the next year because people will want to see it but it does not have longevity.  We went the first night after dinner to see what it was all about and ended up canceling our dinner there on night 3.  It was interesting for 30-40 minutes over a drink but that's about it.  The space is beautiful and has so much potential.

2 hours ago, yorky said:

It’s just another terrible Celebrity idea along with balconies that are not really balconies and sticking a big, ugly  orange contraption on the side of the ship. 

I never thought it was going to be great for dining...BUT I am holding out hope (although I doubt I will sail on this ship with the prices and the terrible reviews...IV basically ocean view rooms with a drop down window that you can't have open if it is sprinkling outside) that when the platform is used for tendering that it will make that process 100 times better!!

1 hour ago, ATLgirl15 said:

I have a feeling Eden will eventually transform into a different concept.  They will keep it over the next year because people will want to see it but it does not have longevity.  We went the first night after dinner to see what it was all about and ended up canceling our dinner there on night 3.  It was interesting for 30-40 minutes over a drink but that's about it.  The space is beautiful and has so much potential.

I hope so. They could tweak it to emphasize the nature aspect without completely reinventing the wheel: lose the performance artists, make the Eden dinner menu something more modern that is seasonal or vegetable-forward with optional organic/natural wine pairings, carve out a "quiet corner" for meditation (or reading) and offer a couple of guided sessions through the on-board app, have yoga classes with a view, LOSE THE PERFORMANCE ARTISTS, you get the idea. If the idea is to appeal to a younger demographic, wellness and holistic health is a pretty broad trend and connecting with nature and the sea is a part of that. But I think Virgin is already all over that idea.

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Awesome theater,,,,terrible show

Where do they get this Awful material?

Okay this I might have to see, just to find out how they managed to get a (presumably heavily edited) Kanye West cover and a guy who seems to be dressed as King Joffrey from Game of Thrones into the same show. But "wow what is THIS trainwreck all about????" isn't exactly a compliment.

2 hours ago, hcat said:

Awesome theater,,,,terrible show

Where do they get this Awful material?

Jeez Celebrity, what an earth is going on, you are not going in the right direction here. Again stick with what works and just enhance it in a sensitive way, this is another train wreck i’m afraid.

36 minutes ago, yorky said:

Jeez Celebrity, what an earth is going on, you are not going in the right direction here. Again stick with what works and just enhance it in a sensitive way, this is another train wreck i’m afraid.

Sometimes you have to plan for the future and not just stick with what works.

Sincerely,

Sears Roebuck 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, yorky said:

It’s just another terrible Celebrity idea along with balconies that are not really balconies and sticking a big, ugly  orange contraption on the side of the ship. Celebrity you are not Carnival or a RL mega ship and guess what that’s what people like about Celebrity. Stick to what you are very good at, a classy cruise line offering great service in a sophisticated environment at a decent price. There are plenty of other options for the percentage of cruisers that want something different.

You don't like Celebrity's new version of the Rising Tide Bar.....lol I have to admit....it was MUCH better implemented on the Royal Side.

1 hour ago, BeeMinor said:

Okay this I might have to see, just to find out how they managed to get a (presumably heavily edited) Kanye West cover and a guy who seems to be dressed as King Joffrey from Game of Thrones into the same show. But "wow what is THIS trainwreck all about????" isn't exactly a compliment.

This seems to be what happens when people whose lives have revolved around the stage arts and different forms of dance for many decades are given free hand to create a new and EDGE(Y) performance art extravaganza and do it with THEIR ideas and THEIR visions  not what may be meaningful and appreciated by people not in their artistic circle but more in the real world.  Look at some of the most far out haute couture creations on designer runways, creations that would NEVER even be expected to be worn in real life.

And the same goes for the designers of veranda-less verandas.

Edited by boscobeans
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, boscobeans said:

This seems to be what happens when people whose lives have revolved around the stage arts and different forms of dance for many decades are given free hand to create a new and EDGE(Y) performance art extravaganza and do it with THEIR ideas and THEIR visions  not what may be meaningful and appreciated by people not in their artistic circle but more in the real world.  Look at some of the most far out haute couture creations on designer runways, creations that would NEVER even be expected to be worn in real life.

And the same goes for the designers of veranda-less verandas.

Steve Jobs famously refused to use focus groups because he wanted to give people stuff they hadn't even thought of yet.  But Steve Jobs was a genius – and IMHO no one involved in designing Edge was in Steve Jobs' league.

14 hours ago, richsea said:

Those videos remind me of the Cirq type weird performances with the gauzy curtains that they tried in the forward lounges on M class that went over like a lead balloon.

Maybe they've worked out most of the bugs? Folks laughed at the idea of the telephone, but you keep improving it and persevering. Is this the final product? Maybe - Maybe not. Some day folks won't be able to imagine cruising without these types of characters making unique interactive experiences.

8 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Steve Jobs famously refused to use focus groups because he wanted to give people stuff they hadn't even thought of yet.  But Steve Jobs was a genius – and IMHO no one involved in designing Edge was in Steve Jobs' league.

Celebrity got everyone to all of a sudden say the name Kelly Hoppen... as if she was widely known to all.... How many of us had ever heard that name before Edge was announced?

1 hour ago, Ox Fan Cruiser said:

Celebrity got everyone to all of a sudden say the name Kelly Hoppen... as if she was widely known to all.... How many of us had ever heard that name before Edge was announced?

yes, had heard of her - she'd done some TV work in the UK and was known for doing interior designs for the rich and famous (Beckham's for example) - not sure about how much Public space / entertainment / hotel design work she's done though.

I remember once watching a documentary on Walt Disney where they called him a marketing genius for creating and building a giant shopping center disguised as a theme park. Maybe Celebrity is trying to follow suit building a ship of almost entirely ocean view cabins disguised as "infinite veranda's". 

Edited by bajathree

27 minutes ago, bajathree said:

I remember once watching a documentary on Walt Disney where they called him a marketing genius for creating and building a giant shopping center disguised as a theme park. Maybe Celebrity is trying to follow suit building a ship of almost entirely ocean view cabins disguised as "infinite veranda's". 

From what I've seen of the daily planner, it's also a giant Expo.