3 year old in Cozumel

Katemusical

Yay! I'm so excited that we are leaving soon for our RC Independence of the Seas cruise!!!

What did you do with your littles in Cozumel? I think I'm gearing towards Chankanaab; but still can be swayed to something better if there are suggestions.

Also did anyone travel on the Indy with their little ones? How were the kids' clubs?

Indy was the first ship our DS was on when he was 3. He loved it!

We don't love Cozumel, though. It's underwhelming, unless you can go on a catamaran tour to snorkel. Crowded beaches with coarse brownish sand or rocks, very rough water last November, and expensive access to water (it was $17 pp at Ocean Club just to get a chaise).

We are going to cruise in 2 weeks, and will most likely stay on the ship in Cozumel. If not, we might try snorkeling at Money bar, since DS is now 7 and can float.

Other than that, please check out Ports of Call boards for Cozumel for more suggestions:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/131-cozumel/

I hear Mr Sanchos ($$$) and Nachi Cocum (besides Chankanaab) are nice.

Independence was the ship for our son's first two cruises (at 1 and 2) before the refurbishment and he loved it.  Too young to be left at the kids' club at that age though.

We're taking him to Cozumel this month and he chose the Atlantis Submarine tour - we're booked with the cruise line but they price matched the local tour operator

https://www.cancunadventure.net/tours/atlantis-submarine/

Oh we had fun with our 3 year old in Cozumel. We did one of the beach clubs that also had a child water park. None of the ship's excursions worked for us, we just got a day pass independently. Took a cab (took some great pictures of her in the cab with her sunglasses looking like she did this every day) played and swam and snacked and played and swam and then went back to the ship for nap time.

It wasn't a high impact day - we did a stingray snorkeling trip on a different stop that was amazing - but it was a good day. My kid is very active, so a day spent swimming and splashing down a bunch of small water slides is about perfect for her. 

In general 3 is little for ship excursions - we found we basically had to do independent ones and that was a little nerve wracking for us but worked out fine. 

Playa Mia has Buccaneer's Bay and my 2 1/2 year old (at the time, he's 4 now)  played there for what seemed like hours.  it's essentially an ankle (maybe a little deeper) wading pool filled with 10 or so waterslides for the under 5 set.  he couldn't get enough of it.   Not sure when we'll get back to Cozumel, but it if is any time before my daughter turns 5, we'll def go there again.  

We were in Cozumel most recently over Thanksgiving and decided to have a beach day at Chankanaab. While the sea lion shows, crocodile viewing, and playing in the sand were great distractions for our five year old, I’m not sure I’d go back— there isn’t good water access for the little ones, other than a very small, easily crowded cove. Beautiful beach, but I’d probably recommend researching somewhere else. This was our son’s third trip to Cozumel— first time he was 18 months old, and we stayed at the pier area. Second time was when he was four and we just walked around downtown and swam in the ship’s pool. 

Taxis are regulated and easy to get, so no worries there. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/6/2018 at 4:43 PM, pyropoodle said:

Playa Mia has Buccaneer's Bay and my 2 1/2 year old (at the time, he's 4 now)  played there for what seemed like hours.  it's essentially an ankle (maybe a little deeper) wading pool filled with 10 or so waterslides for the under 5 set.  he couldn't get enough of it.   Not sure when we'll get back to Cozumel, but it if is any time before my daughter turns 5, we'll def go there again.  

Hands down playa Mia.  We took a cab and had a blast.  Water park is with a pool and adult slides and there is a small beach too.  We went for morning (you can buy just admission without food/drink) and then we returned to ship for a late lunch.

weve done Chakanaub too.  It’s cute but agree no where to really swim except a basic pool.  And sea lion show strictly in Spanish.

We chose Paradise Beach with our kids 6/3/1.5 at the time (+grandparents and my brother). We find we don't get the best value at more elaborate waterparks or all-inclusive day trips with our group. Paradise Beach was perfect, especially with the range of water structures, a great pool for when the 3 and 1.5 year old got tired of the beach, and a fairly compact area where we could watch the kids play from our loungers.

It was actually a lot more fun than I think any of us expected it to be. 

Ease of access/return to ship, clean washrooms and good value were what we were looking for.

We also love Paradise Beacwith our toddler and are going back in March on our cruise. Great pool and beach access and also very adorable.

We were also at Playa Mia in the past and enjoyed it. It has a few nice slides, a great pool and nice beach.

We simply took a cab from the port.

For Playa Mia, Shoreexcursioneer.com have the best price 

Are any of you using car seats for the taxi rides that you have mentioned?  We are headed to Cozumel in March. I do not want to bring my car seat and I am nervous of using a taxi with out the proper car seat. I have a 3 year old and y’all have made the taxi rides appear easy! What solutions are you using? Mr. Sanchos or Playa Mia sounds nice with a kid but I’m nervous of taxi ride. 

DS started cruising at 3, and we've never actually used a car seat at destinations. Which is quite interesting, since at home he rear faced till 4 and was harnessed till almost 7.

We were in Cozumel in mid-December, and unlike last time, taxis both ways didn't even have seat belts. So, bringing a car seat or even a booster for him would be a moot point. I just held on to him for dear life and hoped for the best.

We are going there in March as well.

To my sheer horror, the Uber we took from POM to FLL didn't have a seat belt in the middle. The driver was using a seat cover that made the seat belt unusable. I was silently cursing him out the entire ride.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

DS started cruising at 3, and we've never actually used a car seat at destinations. Which is quite interesting, since at home he rear faced till 4 and was harnessed till almost 7.

We were in Cozumel in mid-December, and unlike last time, taxis both ways didn't even have seat belts. So, bringing a car seat or even a booster for him would be a moot point. I just held on to him for dear life and hoped for the best.

We are going there in March as well.

To my sheer horror, the Uber we took from POM to FLL didn't have a seat belt in the middle. The driver was using a seat cover that made the seat belt unusable. I was silently cursing him out the entire ride.

Thank you so much for your feedback, Itchy&Scratchy! We are the same way with our car seat at home and have only recently front faced our 3 1/2 year old. She is very petite. Currently, we have the Mayan Ruins and Beach Break excursion booked with NCL. But I truly want to spend the day at Mr. Sanchos. I have read the stories of certain taxis not having seat belts so that also concerned me if I actually did bring the car seat. I think I may have to bend a little in my thinking and suck it up and hold on to her in the taxi as you have done. That is pretty much what I have gathered after researching this throughout the forums. I will just wrap my arms and legs around her and have my husband sit on us to secure us a little better in our seats :) LOL! 

That sounds scary for the POM to FLL drive! I haven't moved her from the middle seat yet and wouldn't want to place her by the door. I would have silently cursed him too. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruiseratheart_09 said:

That sounds scary for the POM to FLL drive! I haven't moved her from the middle seat yet and wouldn't want to place her by the door. I would have silently cursed him too. 

well, I moved my mom to the middle.... without the seat belt. So, DS and I were safely strapped in... However, it's the unbuckled person who would actually do the most damage to the buckled people in case of an accident. But I made the executive decision to put mom there.

Just a note on the middle installation of car seats and boosters: some vehicle do not allow middle installation of the car seats, for example, Nissan Rogue. I have a 2015 Sorento, and while the middle installation is allowed, I cannot achieve a safe and secure install of any seats I've had in the middle, so DS rides outboard in his booster behind the driver.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

well, I moved my mom to the middle.... without the seat belt. So, DS and I were safely strapped in... However, it's the unbuckled person who would actually do the most damage to the buckled people in case of an accident. But I made the executive decision to put mom there.

Just a note on the middle installation of car seats and boosters: some vehicle do not allow middle installation of the car seats, for example, Nissan Rogue. I have a 2015 Sorento, and while the middle installation is allowed, I cannot achieve a safe and secure install of any seats I've had in the middle, so DS rides outboard in his booster behind the driver.

I know I need to get over having her in the middle (first child over here and I’m frightened of everything 🙂)  I understand that vehicles might not have the set up for a middle installation and then parents with multiple kids can’t pick and choose where they install. I only have the one so I definitely forget about those other circumstances! But you are absolutely right because in some cases you cannot help where you have the car seat. 

And I’m glad your mom was ok with your executive decision lol!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, cruiseratheart_09 said:

I know I need to get over having her in the middle (first child over here and I’m frightened of everything 🙂)  I understand that vehicles might not have the set up for a middle installation and then parents with multiple kids can’t pick and choose where they install. I only have the one so I definitely forget about those other circumstances! But you are absolutely right because in some cases you cannot help where you have the car seat. 

And I’m glad your mom was ok with your executive decision lol!

the safest place for your DD is the middle, because it's farther removed from all the contact points. Especially, if she is forward facing in a harnessed seat or a booster. SO, if you can achieve a tight, secure install, and the vehicle allows for a middle installation, just leave her in the middle.

Sorry to digress, I do that in real life as well! :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 7:04 PM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

the safest place for your DD is the middle, because it's farther removed from all the contact points. Especially, if she is forward facing in a harnessed seat or a booster. SO, if you can achieve a tight, secure install, and the vehicle allows for a middle installation, just leave her in the middle.

Sorry to digress, I do that in real life as well! 🙂

Lol! I agree 🙂 and it’s ok that we have derailed the conversation slightly. All good advice from you! Thank you, itchy! 

• Like 1