Sun Princess internet and drinks packages

TotoroCruising

(Reposted in this section)

Hi, we're off to NZ from Sydney in Jan 2019. 

I've been trying desperately to find out information about internet connectivity and drinks packages, but to no avail. I called them and all they could tell me about the drinks was that you had to buy the package once on board.

As for the internet - wifi was available on the P & O explorer for a flat rate. IT wasn't great wifi, but good enough to use messaging services in order to keep contact with our pet sitter etc. I have heard vague rumours about paying for minutes, but seriously that sounds so incredibly archaic! Not to mention expensive!

Also, is it possible to buy a data sim for use in NZ? Thought it might be cheaper than international roaming.

TIA

4 minutes ago, TotoroCruising said:

(Reposted in this section)

Hi, we're off to NZ from Sydney in Jan 2019. 

I've been trying desperately to find out information about internet connectivity and drinks packages, but to no avail. I called them and all they could tell me about the drinks was that you had to buy the package once on board.

As for the internet - wifi was available on the P & O explorer for a flat rate. IT wasn't great wifi, but good enough to use messaging services in order to keep contact with our pet sitter etc. I have heard vague rumours about paying for minutes, but seriously that sounds so incredibly archaic! Not to mention expensive!

Also, is it possible to buy a data sim for use in NZ? Thought it might be cheaper than international roaming.

TIA

Beverage packages are only available for purchase aboard cruises based out of Australia and New Zealand. 

Curently, Premier Beverage Package is $89AUS per day, must be bought for entire sailing. Soda and More package is $7AUS per day. Coffee package is $36AUS for 15 specialty coffees and teas and Unlimited fresh brewed coffees from grounds (as long as 1 specialty coffee remains available in package.)

Interest on Sun, I believe, has already moved to the PrincessConnect plans, ie the unlimited plans. Social - social media sites, Surf for most  Internet and social media sites and Premium for streaming, etc.  I don't think Sun has been upgraded to MedallionNet,  the super fast Internet, so the Premier package is essentially unless - it's not fast enough onboard to stream.  

You can buy by the day (24 hour period) or for length of the cruise...

Good luck. Enjoy.

49 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

Beverage packages are only available for purchase aboard cruises based out of Australia and New Zealand. 

Curently, Premier Beverage Package is $89AUS per day, must be bought for entire sailing. Soda and More package is $7AUS per day. Coffee package is $36AUS for 15 specialty coffees and teas and Unlimited fresh brewed coffees from grounds (as long as 1 specialty coffee remains available in package.)

Interest on Sun, I believe, has already moved to the PrincessConnect plans, ie the unlimited plans. Social - social media sites, Surf for most  Internet and social media sites and Premium for streaming, etc.  I don't think Sun has been upgraded to MedallionNet,  the super fast Internet, so the Premier package is essentially unless - it's not fast enough onboard to stream.  

You can buy by the day (24 hour period) or for length of the cruise...

Good luck. Enjoy.

Thanks so much for your reply. 

I've looked at my cruise personaliser and the only internet package listing says 

In-Cabin Calling To Shore

In-Cabin Calling To Shore 10 minutes AU$66.83
10 minutes

Nothing else offered as an option. I'm still very confused.

8 hours ago, TotoroCruising said:

Thanks so much for your reply. 

I've looked at my cruise personaliser and the only internet package listing says 

In-Cabin Calling To Shore

In-Cabin Calling To Shore 10 minutes AU$66.83
10 minutes

Nothing else offered as an option. I'm still very confused.

It means they have not figured out yet what Internet options will be available when you sail.

Sooner or later, you will find the Internet pricing where you looked.

The cruise planners do not show it but the Sun Princess now has the Unlimited Internet plans. I cruise on the Sun Princess in July and October of this year.  The internet was OK (Cruising SE Asia), they offered 3 levels and the price for the top level was $20 per day on the July cruise  & $12 per day on the October Cruise (USD).  The internet package never showed in the cruise planner for July but it was in October, did not show until a month before the cruise.

I'm back on the Sun in March and my cruise planner shows no internet packages.

They have three different levels of Internet Service offered on the Sun Princess. The free minutes offered as part of Captains Circle  are using the lowest level of service and therefore much slower. I have always taken the top plan and found the speed to be very good.