Can I get off ship without passport

bkushner

Hiiiiiii, my fiance and I are planning on going to Cozumel on a cruise in January and it's leaving from Miami and coming back to Miami (closed-loop) so my cruise line does not require a Passport. So, we're taking our certified Birth Certificate and Driver's License with us to board.

My question: Do we need a passport to leave the ship to go onto the island (Cozumel) or do they just check a photo ID? I don't want to cruise to Cozumel if we can't explore the island! I realize we're able to cruise but what's the point if you can't get off the ship? We haven't purchased the tickets for this cruise yet wanted to find out for sure, first.

4 minutes ago, bkushner said:

Hiiiiiii, my fiance and I are planning on going to Cozumel on a cruise in January and it's leaving from Miami and coming back to Miami (closed-loop) so my cruise line does not require a Passport. So, we're taking our certified Birth Certificate and Driver's License with us to board.

My question: Do we need a passport to leave the ship to go onto the island (Cozumel) or do they just check a photo ID? I don't want to cruise to Cozumel if we can't explore the island! I realize we're able to cruise but what's the point if you can't get off the ship? We haven't purchased the tickets for this cruise yet wanted to find out for sure, first.

All you ned to get back on the ship is your sea pass card and a photo ID.  No passport needed for any US  closed loop cruise to anywhere. Assuming you are both US citizens..i

45 minutes ago, taglovestocruise said:

All you ned to get back on the ship is your sea pass card and a photo ID.  No passport needed for any US  closed loop cruise to anywhere. Assuming you are both US citizens..i

Overgeneralization here.

Remember that some cruise lines require that ALL passengers have a passport (and often surrender it to the purser) at embarkation for ALL itineraries (I.e., "closed loop" is irrelevant).

That said, there's also the misconception posed by the OP that not getting off the ship somehow absolves folks of having a passport in a country that requires visitors to have them. Whether you're on or off the ship, you're still in the country AND must comply with the country's laws. And, if one or more ports on your itinerary (or the cruise line itself) require a passport, you will be denied boarding at embarkation without one. 

3 hours ago, bkushner said:

You do not need a passport to go ashore in Cozumel. Sometimes they check an ID as you come back verifying that it matches your ship card. Uually all you need is a ship card, but your cruise line will tell you to take DL or other photo ID ashore.

10 hours ago, zqvol said:

You do not need a passport to go ashore in Cozumel. Sometimes they check an ID as you come back verifying that it matches your ship card. Uually all you need is a ship card, but your cruise line will tell you to take DL or other photo ID ashore.

Agree.  As others have said, most cruise lines only require a valid government issued picture ID and a birth certificate  -or-  a Passport for US citizens traveling on a US based closed loop itinerary. Check with your cruise line to confirm their policy.  If a Passport is used it is only needed for initial boarding, and not in each port of call.

With each port of call, the cruise line will tell you whether or not you will need a picture ID along with your ship card to return to the ship from that port of call.  If they tell you that you need one, take it.  BTW we have always taken our picture ID (drivers license) with us in Cozumel.  

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Your driver's license and raised seal birth certificate (to get on the ship) is all you need for a closed loop cruise.  We just take our ship's ID card and driver's license for Cozumel.

Hopefully neither of you will have any reason to get home on short notice where you might need a passport for flying.

11 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Your driver's license and raised seal birth certificate (to get on the ship) is all you need for a closed loop cruise. 

Carnival will accept a clean, clear photocopy of your BC

There may be some cruise lines that require a passport of all US citizens even for a closed loop cruise, but I can tell you it isn’t Princess, Carnival, Royal Caribbean or HAL. 

I have a feeling the OP intends to cruise on one of the above mainstream lines. 

7 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Your driver's license and raised seal birth certificate (to get on the ship) is all you need for a closed loop cruise. 

Many counties/states have never issued raised seal birth certificates.

12 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

Your driver's license and raised seal birth certificate (to get on the ship) is all you need for a closed loop cruise.  We just take our ship's ID card and driver's license for Cozumel.

Hopefully neither of you will have any reason to get home on short notice where you might need a passport for flying.

What does that have to do with going ashore at a port of call. BTW, birht certificates do NOT have to ever have a raised seal.

11 hours ago, jagsfan said:

And several posters have said a copy is acceptable. Time was it had to be an official copy from the Bureau of Vital Statistics or whatever department handles birth certificates in a particular state. 

The DHS regulations have always allowed a copy of a birth certificate but I don't know what was required before that. It should be noted that it is best to bring the original issued by the government agency that issues them, but it should be remembered that a copy will do in a pinch. Some people like to leave their birth certificate in their carryon and use the copy to prevent undue wear and tear on the original.

17 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

The DHS regulations have always allowed a copy of a birth certificate but I don't know what was required before that. It should be noted that it is best to bring the original issued by the government agency that issues them, but it should be remembered that a copy will do in a pinch. Some people like to leave their birth certificate in their carryon and use the copy to prevent undue wear and tear on the original.

Before 9/11, and for sure in the 1980’s, an official copy of a birth certificate and not a Xerox copy, was required. 

It’s funny that security is so tight now, but people can make their own birth certificate copies to leave and enter the US by sea. 

7 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Before 9/11, and for sure in the 1980’s, an official copy of a birth certificate and not a Xerox copy, was required. 

It’s funny that security is so tight now, but people can make their own birth certificate copies to leave and enter the US by sea. 

When you stop and think about why it's not so funny. First, DHS determined that a US citizen on a closed loop cruise presents a low risk to the national security (after all, who is going to sneak into the country in order to do harm only to sneak back out of the country in order to sneak back in 7 days later). Second, while the ship is at sea CBP is vetting every passenger through a multitude of databases and verifying everything, including birth certificates if necessary. They don't have time to do that at a land port of entry, which is why it's only allowed for those under 16. 

On 12/4/2018 at 5:09 PM, taglovestocruise said:

Cuba

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 8:19 PM, zqvol said:

Per above EXACTLY! In Cozumel just take your ship card and a government issued photo ID.  

No problem!

Enjoy! :classic_cool: