Secrets of the Edge

vtcruising

Now that some of us have sailed on the Edge, I thought I would share some Edge secrets. I'm hoping others will add all the things that I missed!

Elevators:

If it is green around the elevator, it is going up - red, it is going down.

image.thumb.png.53fc57481440a44d7c72adda149bbbc6.png

image.thumb.png.881b2f5130d3778b39622e7469dbb665.png

Here is an important one:

How do you tell if a bathroom is occupied?  I've been used to red and green circles on the doors of X ships. The Edge bathroom doors have a bolt-like thing with the groove going up and down, if open and across, if occupied. Some of us figured this out the hard way....

Open:

image.thumb.png.a860b29b80d56b689248ff9c26338bf6.png

Occupied:

image.thumb.png.5e398cd4559cda9816e1034e597c9c8b.png

Where is the switch for the vanity light (which is very bright)? The mood lighting includes the vanity light for times when you would like softer lighting. It took a while but we found the button (can use app as well to specifically turn off lights).

It is the black button outside the electronics box (at the base).

image.thumb.png.d94e646eeb01b7e03db0198748ac6736.png

The walls in the cabins are mostly magnetic. This is the way you let people know that you don't want to be bothered. It is nice not to have that hanger that constantly falls off!

image.thumb.png.1b6fdc7f10748c32d172d7bdfe5d16e1.png

You may want to review your settings in daylight (and dressed). The first time I hit "morning" and the shades opened up and the lights popped on, it was not a good time! 😉

image.thumb.png.3edf8e92ebf4787fd51916b3480e19bc.png

If you want the cabin at a certain temperature when you return, you may want to turn off the go green (under settings) as it will turn the thermostat up 2 degrees when you leave. It likely also turns off lights after a certain time. Good for the environment, but good to know, if it is on.

Back to the elevators:

If you are going to the gangway in port, check your elevator for the deck number:

image.thumb.png.0937a73736c892c0aa81080a1d76d0a7.png

Do you want to know where the Magic Carpet is? Check your elevator:

image.png.adee8a3b9ef22bf1fa04f3e7c696e9d7.png

Do you want to know the temperature? Time? Day of the cruise? Check your elevator:

image.thumb.png.7042c017564281256c16d38e5b625072.png

How to find your way around the ship? The elevators are tucked inside - you need to make two turns to get to them and it can be confusing to decide which direction to go when you get off. The directions are not marked port and starboard, they are marked odd (port) and even (starboard). When you exit an elevator, look at the aft or forward signs and go in that direction - when you enter the next area look to the left and right to decide which side to enter (odd or even). The range of cabin numbers are nicely laid out so shouldn't be an issue to figure out, but it was confusing for me at first. I miss the ship cross sections that show where things are ion each deck. Each elevator bank does have a list of main venues on each deck so that is helpful. The elevators are very fast and efficient!

image.thumb.png.db5745e12e2073a1b37dbf86de172ccd.png

enhance

image.thumb.png.b53c345b372afe1f3b715233d6b3fbb0.png

image.png.edfcd4c29e2454afa73fc0baf56755de.png

Go say hi to my peeps, The Faceless People near the shops. They are very smooth and lovely to touch. Some of the salespeople have named these three Steve, George and Elizabeth (Steve is the one closest to Cartier)!

image.thumb.png.b7443e7970257bc8dd2789311c744344.png

I'm sure there are so many more secrets.... Hope to hear more....

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

A not-so-secret secret:

1. Skip the Pool Bar. Go to the Sunset Bar instead. Pool Bar is staffed by only two guys and one of them is *r e a l l y* slow and not so nice. 
  2. GO TO EDEN! We stopped by at 8p just to see what was going on. We left at midnight and wanted MORE MORE MORE! It was crazy amazing. Interactive, yes, but not uncomfortable. More like intriguing. My husband is a strong introvert and HE'S the one who wanted to stay!
  3. Get extra drinks and put them in your mini-fridge.
  4. The "Sleep" lights let you get in bed before they slowly dim all the way out. 
  5. My phone (iPhone X) went wonky on the way to and from the Bahamas. Not sure why, but my time was off by 6 hours. I couldn't use my alarm, but used EDGE's wakeup call feature. 
  6. The shower can be tricky (at least in Aqua Class). The top square turnable knob is the type of water stream. The bottom turnable square (with a "stem") is the temperature and on-off knob. Put your thumb on the bottom of the knob and turn it upward, counter clockwise to turn the water on. Then spin that same knob to change the water temp. The upper turnable square will then change where the water comes out. 
  7. Your mirror in the bathroom is heated! No need to ever wipe the steam off your mirror!
  8. I loved using the Celebrity app to open my stateroom and control the lights. 
  9. I wish the app worked as my alcohol card, too. Otherwise, you have to have Sea Pass AND phone with the app. Kind of a bummer. 
  10. You DON'T need to buy wifi to use the app! That's 100% free! But if you want to get online to check email, look at social media, check news outlets, etc., you will have to pay for internet. 
  11. Pizza is in the back of the cafeteria. Don't miss it, it's good!
  12. There is PLENTY of storage in the cabins (Aqua Class). See attached pics. That storage is ALL in the bathroom!

I will likely remember more later, I'll come back to update!

wndSg51FT1uyb5dUCtxIeg.jpg

zvU+wVo5RHqnsLKZbAMhdg.jpg

RYov1yyYRrGIQM3S7TULFA.jpg

Ayv53a9aTnWtB+lcGE3HtA.jpg

l338aGVcRnSYouHOl2qAig.jpg

nitYIN0%SUOLbni5RnimsQ.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Great secrets and tips, Idyluck. I had to laugh about the night we all went to Paris time on our phones (both of our did and I talked to others who had it happen). I went to bed at 11 and later woke up at midnight and couldn't get back to sleep. I tossed and turned for an hour and finally when I saw light under the curtains I checked the time on the TV and it was 7 AM. No wonder I couldn't get back to sleep! 😊

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Great secrets and tips, Idyluck. I had to laugh about the night we all went to Paris time on our phones (both of our did and I talked to others who had it happen). I went to bed at 11 and later woke up at midnight and couldn't get back to sleep. I tossed and turned for an hour and finally when I saw light under the curtains I checked the time on the TV and it was 7 AM. No wonder I couldn't get back to sleep! 😊

That time change was unexpected! Glad to know it wasn't just me! 😉😊

My phone time changed also. It was showing my location as being in France!

my secret: Eden Cafe for lunch. They open at noon and there was a line but it thinned out and they had yummy hot and cold sandwiches and salads.  Free!

wear comfortable shoes when disembarking. It is a long walk to go thru the terminal and depending on your transportation (buses to airport or off- site parking). There were many people stopping to catch their breath. 

Lots of lounges in the shade, away from the pool, but close enough to hit the OV or bars. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, ldyluck said:

My phone (iPhone X) went wonky on the way to and from the Bahamas. Not sure why, but my time was off by 6 hours. I couldn't use my alarm, but used EDGE's wakeup call feature. 

I've had this happen on a couple of cruises.  It's gotten to the point that I turn off "Automatic Date and Time" (may be different on an iPhone) and change the time zone manually as the ship moves.  I think it has something to do with which satellites the internet or cellular is bouncing off.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, OriginalBoat said:

I've had this happen on a couple of cruises.  It's gotten to the point that I turn off "Automatic Date and Time" (may be different on an iPhone) and change the time zone manually as the ship moves.  I think it has something to do with which satellites the internet or cellular is bouncing off.

Interesting!

19 minutes ago, citruscruiser said:

The closet doors in AQ, IV etc can be difficult to open if you have fingertip/strength issues. I was able to turn the magnet on the inside top of the closet door so the magnets don’t attach. I wouldn’t recommend doing it in rough seas!

Thanks! Others on the Dec 1 cruise put some duct tape over the some of the magnets because they had hand strength issues. I don't know if it's because everything is so new and harder to open.

On 12/4/2018 at 9:28 PM, citruscruiser said:

My phone time changed also. It was showing my location as being in France!

my secret: Eden Cafe for lunch. They open at noon and there was a line but it thinned out and they had yummy hot and cold sandwiches and salads.  Free!

wear comfortable shoes when disembarking. It is a long walk to go thru the terminal and depending on your transportation (buses to airport or off- site parking). There were many people stopping to catch their breath. 

Lots of lounges in the shade, away from the pool, but close enough to hit the OV or bars. 

How long a walk.?  We do self disembark and will have to also walk to the parking garage with our luggage and  carryons.   Hope we can still do walk off from EDGE,

2 hours ago, hcat said:

How long a walk.?  We do self disembark and will have to also walk to the parking garage with our luggage and  carryons.   Hope we can still do walk off from EDGE,

We did a walk off for one of our cruises. I didn't think walking through the terminal was too stressful. I was not 100% because of my accident (still achy all over so had some difficulty pulling my 50 lb bag and carry on), but did well until part way to to the taxi stop (about a 5 minute walk from the terminal) and then started to slow down. I would think most would probably do okay getting to the parking garage.

8 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

We did a walk off for one of our cruises. I didn't think walking through the terminal was too stressful. I was not 100% because of my accident (still achy all over so had some difficulty pulling my 50 lb bag and carry on), but did well until part way to to the taxi stop (about a 5 minute walk from the terminal) and then started to slow down. I would think most would probably do okay getting to the parking garage.

This is where Celebrity should have stepped up and helped you out!  As the Queen of the Edge, I envision you riding in a Sedan Chair while a convoy of staff bring your luggage!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is where Celebrity should have stepped up and helped you out!  As the Queen of the Edge, I envision you riding in a Sedan Chair while a convoy of staff bring your luggage!

This made me laugh - but really, it's the least they could have done!!😉

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Soap?  I saw a picture of large bottles of shampoo etc. but didn't notice bars of soap.  [We will be in a suite, so if there was a difference please distinguish!]

The bars of soap are square and don't lather well - they turn mushy. The smell is nice. I don't usually critique the soap, but I miss the Bulgari 🙂 (I think PH, EV and IC receive Bulgari).

8 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Great idea for a thread VT! Is there a heated mirror in the IV bathroom? Thanks for the tip about the “morning “ setting. I’ll be very wary of that one 🤣 

I think it has been said elsewhere, but the Sky Suite curtains continue to open on their own, if you open them a little, so be prepared for full exposure if you start to open them (if you peek, it's okay, but if you pull on them to open them a bit, watch out!). Nice feature, if you are aware! 😊

They close on their own too, if you start to close them.

I liked using the control panel or my app to open and close them - it was fun to sit in bed and control everything!

• Haha 1