Secrets of the Edge

vtcruising

13 hours ago, ldyluck said:

We talked to a couple of the performers and got the gist of the storyline. It's the story of Time. 

Kronos is the big guy, the lead male character. He IS time. There is also Helios (sun goddess) and Luna (moon goddess). They are influenced by time and also influence other characters. There are two characters that I'll call "human" and theirs is a love story. Yet another story is about a set of characters who can only be "alive" when the two human characters are split up. Kronos, while he IS time and is the main character, seems powerless to change the events that are unfolding. He is visibly unhappy when the other characters are alive and thrive on the humans' discord. It's a fascinating story. 

Thank you so much for this! We never really saw the whole show, just interacted with a few of the performers, mostly while eating dinner at Eden. We also spoke to Kronos, mostly out of character. He is a NYC-based dancer and is leaving the ship soon.

We also spoke to Zoom (the guy with the bushy hair, he did card tricks in the restaurant) and Coy (who left the ship recently). Not sure what their roles were in the overall story but they were fun to interact with.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/1/2019 at 2:51 AM, vtcruising said:

I still couldn't find their secrets? Did anyone else see anything?

Alexia Sinclair is the artist whose paintings are hanging in Café al Bacio.  Alexia is best known for her intense color photographs portraying historical and allegorical figures. Her elaborate compositions take on the complexities of history painting by depicting a moment in a narrative story. The abundant detail and symbolism in her work are devices that allow her to tell complex stories. 

Alexia posted the following on her Instagram page <

Edited by Worldtvlr
Provided citation.
  • Thanks 2

Thanks  to worldtvlr for these explanations and histories . These  are great stories..I will be printing them out...Absolutely  fascinating!

I   haven't had a chance to go through my EDGE Art Book  from our Jan cruise....One of my planned daily activities  when we return to EDGE is to view all the art again..... It'll be a big project, but hope we will have time on a 9 day itin...

Glad I opened this thread again!

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 4:38 PM, vtcruising said:

On one of their web pages entitled, "FUN FACTS YOU PROBABLY DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT CELEBRITY EDGE," there is a section entitled, "The Art on the Celebrity Edge," Celebrity writes, "In another area of the ship, you’ll see what looks like a design accent on the wall that actually opens up to beams of the ship’s structure when you look through the openings in it. "  Can anyone shed some light on that?  Where specifically on the ship are they referring to, and shat does the design accent look like?

I think that's the corridor  where they have it ooen to rhe steel...but it may be something rlse..Hope Vt can answer this...and provide a link to the FUN FACTS...

I wanted to  re start the Edge art thread by Vt but have been too busy....glad others are interested as well

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Thanks  to worldtvlr for these explanations and histories . These  are great stories..I will be printing them out...Absolutely  fascinating!

I   haven't had a chance to go through my EDGE Art Book  from our Jan cruise....One of my planned daily activities  when we return to EDGE is to view all the art again..... It'll be a big project, but hope we will have time on a 9 day itin...

Where did you get the EDGE Art Book, hcat?

On our EDGE cruise in January....it was in our AQ class cabin, and extras were placed out on the little book exchange wagon on the left as you enter EDEN .  

Some of these souvenier  books  were heavy but I refused to abandon  them,.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, hcat said:

On our EDGE cruise in January....it was in our AQ class cabin, and extras were placed out on the little book exchange wagon on the left as you enter EDEN .  

Some of these souvenier  books  were heavy but I refused to abandon  them,.

Thanks, hcat!  I will be sure to check it out.

2 hours ago, Worldtvlr said:
On 12/4/2018 at 7:38 PM, vtcruising said:

On one of their web pages entitled, "FUN FACTS YOU PROBABLY DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT CELEBRITY EDGE," there is a section entitled, "The Art on the Celebrity Edge," Celebrity writes, "In another area of the ship, you’ll see what looks like a design accent on the wall that actually opens up to beams of the ship’s structure when you look through the openings in it. "  Can anyone shed some light on that?  Where specifically on the ship are they referring to, and shat does the design accent look like?

"Inspired by the thousands of hands that go in to the construction of a ship – such as Jouin’s grandfather, who was a welder in the construction of the S.S. Normandie – Jouin Manku designed the exposed corridor. Complete with authentic welders’ touches, architects’ markings and engineers’ notes, the exposed corridor uncovers the bare hull of the ship leading to and from The Grand Plaza and the main dining rooms. The space transforms depending on the direction a guest is walking, like a life-sized lenticular wall. One way, guests will see the unadorned beauty of the ship’s steel bones, while heading in the other direction guests will see a sleek, modern design that starkly contrasts the alternate view."

“When we were asked to work on The Grand Plaza, one of our biggest inspirations were people in the shipyard who were able to manipulate steel as if it were plastic. Their awe-inspiring craftsmanship inspired us and had us asking ourselves ‘How can we show the bones of the ship?’ Because the bones are so beautiful, you don’t need to put a cover on them.”

The exposed wall is on deck 3, between the 2 MDRs on 3 and Guest Relations. Pictures don't do it justice - it is pretty amazing to view and touch. 🙂

image.thumb.png.ea55ccb1f40aaa1d5ac8b165e1e98542.png

image.thumb.png.4aa41556adfae74d6cd22b8312c716e7.png

7 minutes ago, hcat said:

Thank you for the link back to one of my favorite threads...esp now that we have been on board....

While sailing on the Infinity last week, I sought out the art onboard and realized how unique and amazing the Edge art collection is - I'm really looking forward to see what they do with the Apex!

10 hours ago, hcat said:

Do they sell the book onboard? 

8 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

They didn't when I was onboard. I'll ask my friend, who is onboard now, and see if she has seen it in the Edge shop. We received a gift when on one cruise, which was a collection of prints related to Edge art. Here are some of the individual prints:

image.png.2e3839876527e1766871a9766cae266e.png

image.thumb.png.f2726c22af31c55d0a0ebdc04566a3ca.png

image.thumb.png.2b563b5ca258104d8f06b3aa092ef8fe.png

image.thumb.png.b6284ab7fa516af11d052b4039682f4a.png

image.png.cbaecbfa33d28a050b6c59acd743b0ab.png

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

It was a give away...I'll try to do a little summary of its contents tonight and maybe get a pic of the cover...

I agree with VT about the amazing art..,some of course I did not like but we all have diff taste,  most if it we saw just passing through areas, sitting  in the restaurants  or being on the outside decks, but when we return to EDGE, there will be more time to take it all in...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, vtcruising said:

They didn't when I was onboard. I'll ask my friend, who is onboard now, and see if she has seen it in the Edge shop. We received a gift when on one cruise, which was a collection of prints related to Edge art. Here are some of the individual prints:

image.png.2e3839876527e1766871a9766cae266e.png

image.thumb.png.f2726c22af31c55d0a0ebdc04566a3ca.png

image.thumb.png.2b563b5ca258104d8f06b3aa092ef8fe.png

image.thumb.png.b6284ab7fa516af11d052b4039682f4a.png

image.png.cbaecbfa33d28a050b6c59acd743b0ab.png

Vt...amazing!

I almost forgot about the print packet..We have that too...it was also on the little  bookshare cart in EDEN.  Guess  I really need to fully unpack everything from the cruise and our Florida season.!   Good project for a rainy day like today....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, hcat said:

Vt...amazing!

I almost forgot about the print packet..We have that too...it was also on the little  bookshare cart in EDEN.  Guess  I really need to fully unpack everything from the cruise and our Florida season.!   Good project for a rainy day like today....

Yes, I was just reading the insert. They said that the Celebrity Edge Art Collection took 2 years to curate. The collection has more than 4000 pieces! I wonder if some are for Apex, Opus and Luxe (and Beyond, if they use that name).

It talks about Avalon (Haunted Forrest) - interesting that they call it immersive infinity. I know you aren't a fan, but I still love it. 🙂

Another secret that I had forgotten about is that each elevator has different portraits that are quite interesting. I meant to get pictures of all of them, but alas, I will need to go back...

image.thumb.png.b62855c109a8d90b4a0f7065e97e1d67.png

• Like 1

The  Celebrity EDGE Art Book is published by Peter  Millard and Partners Ltd. Designed by SWD London. Copyright Proteced.

It is a 10 inch by 10 inch book with a black hard paper/cardboard cover front and back.  There are about 70 pages.

Preface highlights  items from the 4,000 piece Collection and where certain art can be found on the ship.  This is followed by 68 glossy  pages of actual artwork..1 per page, color and b&w.   Next is a catalogue of each of the 68 pieces,  name, author  and other facts about the work. Many are the same as those in the print packet, same publisher,  I did not go page by page..

VT.. if you did  not get  the book..if Katie is on board, maybe she can get one, not sure when/ if  you will  return to EDGE???  We do not return til NOV.....but if they have them I will get one for you...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hcat said:

The  Celebrity EDGE Art Book is published by Peter  Millard and Partners Ltd. Designed by SWD London. Copyright Proteced.

It is a 10 inch by 10 inch book with a black hard paper/cardboard cover front and back.  There are about 70 pages.

Preface highlights  items from the 4,000 piece Collection and where certain art can be found on the ship.  This is followed by 68 glossy  pages of actual artwork..1 per page, color and b&w.   Next is a catalogue of each of the 68 pieces,  name, author  and other facts about the work. Many are the same as those in the print packet, same publisher,  I did not go page by page..

VT.. if you did  not get  the book..if Katie is on board, maybe she can get one, not sure when/ if  you will  return to EDGE???  We do not return til NOV.....but if they have them I will get one for you...

I reviewed the book, but did not take it. 🙂