Galveston plans third cruise terminal, with Royal Caribbean as operator

pspercy

2 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Maybe he can lure the New York Islanders down there. The New York City metro area has three hockey teams which is one too many.

The New York Rangers stay here. There is already a Texas Rangers team.😃

Hey watch it HBE4. 

How about we agree to send the Devils instead? 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Maybe he can learn the New York Islanders down there. The New York City metro area has three hockey teams which is one too many.

The New York Rangers stay here. Those are ready a Texas Rangers team.😃

Bring them on ! 

Were you the Houston livestock Show and Rodeo fan, 

if so , plan a cruise around it. We will all go with all the other almost 3 million fans. All for youth's education . 

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand, Not a worry in the world, a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!! Zac Brown Band!!

Edited by ssb

5 minutes ago, Yorkvillain said:

Hey watch it HBE4. 

How about we agree to send the Devils instead? 

My brother is an Islander fan so that would piss him off if they moved  😄

But I'm okay sending the Devils down there instead. 

12 minutes ago, ssb said:

Were you the Houston livestock Show and Rodeo fan, 

if so , plan a cruise around it. We will all go with all the other almost 3 million fans. All for youth's education . 

Toes in the water, Ass in the sand, Not a worry in the world, a Cold Beer in my Hand, Life is Good Today!!! Zac Brown Band!!

We almost went two years ago when my daughter first moved to Houston. unfortunately work circumstances prevented that. Maybe this year

Love Zac Brown band. Saw them three times in concert. You quoted one of my favorite songs. 

On December 14, 2018 at 2:05 PM, BecciBoo said:

Yes, been there done that twice, but still a hassle.

Oops forgot to quote Biker....

Greetings Becci Boo,

We will e heading back to Galveston in a few weeks for an LOS B2B. Was reviewing this thread since we are beginning to plan a whole family cruise for all 11 of us which includes 5 grandsons. We are excited to learn of the possibility for an Oasis Class ship as that would suit our large family and grandsons. Hope you and Todd are doing well.

Brad & Debbie

Nice to hear from you Brad.  We are really excited as well.  We will be doing Vision in April for a shortie and then Sept. Symphony with a group.

We will retire from cruising in 2020 as we will be relocating to Mountain Home Arkansas.  May cruise again but will be in extensive building mode for the next 2 years!  eek

On 12/28/2018 at 12:29 PM, Host Clarea said:

I am a fellow poster and a moderator.    I try to be factual, and the fact is that Galveston is a less convenient port for the fly-in cruiser than ports in Florida, Los Angeles, Seattle, and New Orleans.  I would think the cruisers here would appreciate knowing the facts.   I make no reference to the resiliency of Galveston, I am only referring to the logisitics for the fly-in cruiser. 

By the way, the population of Cocoa Beach (which hosts most of the rental agencies near Port Canaveral that take one-way rentals) is less than 12,000, so less than one-fourth the population you quoted for Galveston. 

Good point.  It seems that departing passengers return the cars to the airport. 

It may be FL law that controls drop off fees

On 12/28/2018 at 1:49 PM, Galveston Cruiser said:

HBE4:  Hopefully, you are correct.  We have met with City, Wharves Board and Cruise people for years, but to no avail.  It is in the hands of the rental companies as to where they will invest.

A logistic example is:  500 rentals arrive between 10 am and noon with transport to terminals,  500 get off ships between 8 and 10 am to pick up vehicles.  These vehicles have to be service and inspected which takes hours, if not days.  Do renters sit for hours waiting for cars or find other transportation?  Then there is the transport to and from the terminals as well as dead heading vehicles to and from other locations which can take hours and hundreds of employees.

There is no simple solution that I can see.

We are in the same boat (LOL) when flying one way so we use a car service. as the last time we rented from IAH to Galveston there was the $150 drop off charge.  Less expensive to use a service and, now Uber.

We paid the same for a rental in Rome to drop off in Civitevcchia 4 days later.

If and when you plan another cruise out of Galveston, would love the opportunity to show you around.

Not familiar with Galveston, do ships only sail one day a week?  In PC they regularly leave Thursday through Monday.  This allows cars to be cleaned, serviced, etc. and back on the road.

38 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Not familiar with Galveston, do ships only sail one day a week?  In PC they regularly leave Thursday through Monday.  This allows cars to be cleaned, serviced, etc. and back on the road.

Ships arrive and depart 3-4 days a week.

PC and the surrounding area is not the same as Galveston.  There is not the infrastructure to support a large investment nor is there the work force on the island to relocate vehicles.  Enterprise is a franchise on the island.  Other rental agencies do not have the desire to be here due to economics. Hobby airport is 40 miles and IAH is 70 miles.  

Hertz has a drop off and pick up in Texas City, but one must have a reservation as they do not keep any vehicles at the location nor did Hertz return to the island after Hurricane Ike in 2008 as it was not economically or logistically feasible.

The island does flood - another reason not to be here.  The Lone Star Flight Museum suffered horrendous damage after Ike and the car dealerships, and Enterprise, lost cars with Ike and Harvey.

Economics - supply and demand is what makes a business successful.  Car rental on the island is not financially successful for the investment required. As someone who worked for Hertz (many years ago) I have a good knowledge of the logistics and economics. It just isn't feasible here.

As has been discussed, the majority drive to the port. So be it.  Each place has its uniqueness  We can't move the island and airports have an aversion to a flood zone.

39 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Seems to me that Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach are more alike than different.  Not sure what this infrastructure you mention is all about.

Economically, Galveston is not a wealthy City; more known for poverty though changing.  Once leaving the island going north, it is 15-20 miles to the first bedroom community.  East on Bolivar, there is nothing but beach houses, not well populated, and west there is nothing to Freeport.  Again very sparsely populated. 

Yes, it would be nice to have rental car agencies on the island, but they have not been successful. Employment issues and the high cost of insurance have stymied commercial growth.

Thank you for your interest in learning about Galveston.

Edited by Galveston Cruiser

• 3 weeks later...

Disney Galveston 

20 year agreement - 10 year + 5&5 options 

Royal and Carnival will still have priority departure contractual rights for use of terminal 2 , but Disney will work within the agreements. 

When terminal # 3 is completed 2021 Disney will minimally double # of ships . 

Disney Cruise Line is expected to nearly double its Galveston cruises over the first five years of a new agreement with the Port of Galveston.

The Port of Galveston said  Thursday that it has finalized a new agreement with Disney Cruise Line, extending its existing relationship and outlining plans for Disney to continue sharing a cruise terminal. It can bring ships equal to or larger than the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder class of vessel. Disney has orders on the books for three new cruise ships.

This announcement comes one month after Royal Caribbean announced it is investing close to $100 million to build a new cruise terminal at the Port of Galveston. This will be the port's third cruise terminal.

More on Galveston's expansion: Royal Caribbean to build nearly $100M cruise terminal in Galveston

Royal Caribbean currently shares Cruise Terminal 2 with Carnival Cruise Line and Disney Cruise Line. Terminal 1 is only used by Carnival.

The Mickey Mouse vacation has been a seasonal visitor to Galveston since September 2012, calling on the Gulf Coast during its colder months. It will remain a seasonal visitor under the new agreement, a Port of Galveston spokeswoman confirmed.

"We are thrilled to be able to continue to give Texas and the southwest region of the United States the opportunity to experience Disney cruise vacations from their own backyard," Port of Galveston CEO and Port Director Rodger Rees said in a statement. "We are proud to be one of the few selected homeports for Disney Cruise Line."

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off my first cruise with RCC (3 cruise overall Disney and Carnival) and I loved it... It was on the Harmony of the seas and I absolutely loved the shipped.. Now I don't want to do a smaller ship or another cruise line.

So I was doing my research for the next trip.   I see that RCC has just signed the MOU to build a new terminal at Galveston that is expected to open in Fall 2021.

I am looking for insights from people who follow RCC ... One news article said that RCC said the new terminal would allow them to bring in their largest

(i.e Oasis class) ships...   But I have not found any where when they expect to break ground .. so here are my questions

1.  Does RCC usually meet the announced dates for opening terminals?

2. How likely is it that RCC would immediately bring in an Oasis class ship.   Currently the largest they have is a freedom class ship... which I am not interested in..

I would think they would jump in with an Oasis class quickly ... We want to go on a cruise out of Galvenston in Jan 2022...

3. How long in advance do you think they will start listing voyages for the new terminal?  Will it be the usually 2 years?

I am talking to my extended family about doing a large reunion and everyone likes the idea ... but the question is when we can start getting some details together and making reservations...

Thanks all..

28 minutes ago, bcsmith100 said:

I just got off my first cruise with RCC (3 cruise overall Disney and Carnival) and I loved it... It was on the Harmony of the seas and I absolutely loved the shipped.. Now I don't want to do a smaller ship or another cruise line.

So I was doing my research for the next trip.   I see that RCC has just signed the MOU to build a new terminal at Galveston that is expected to open in Fall 2021.

I am looking for insights from people who follow RCC ... One news article said that RCC said the new terminal would allow them to bring in their largest

(i.e Oasis class) ships...   But I have not found any where when they expect to break ground .. so here are my questions

1.  Does RCC usually meet the announced dates for opening terminals?

2. How likely is it that RCC would immediately bring in an Oasis class ship.   Currently the largest they have is a freedom class ship... which I am not interested in..

I would think they would jump in with an Oasis class quickly ... We want to go on a cruise out of Galvenston in Jan 2022...

3. How long in advance do you think they will start listing voyages for the new terminal?  Will it be the usually 2 years?

I am talking to my extended family about doing a large reunion and everyone likes the idea ... but the question is when we can start getting some details together and making reservations...

Thanks all..

Jan 2022 cruises will most likely be released in December of this year.  I guess we will see then when they have an Pasis class ship scheduled.

Wow, so glad to see this.  If an Oasis ship comes to Texas in 2021, we will be on it.  Agree I wish we could get a different itinerary but the ship itself will be an attraction for people like us who don't like to leave Texas for cruises.  We are cruising on the Vista this year and that will be the biggest ship we've been on.  We loved our Liberty cruise so this is exciting news for us.

8 minutes ago, Beachiekeen said:

Wow, so glad to see this.  If an Oasis ship comes to Texas in 2021, we will be on it.  Agree I wish we could get a different itinerary but the ship itself will be an attraction for people like us who don't like to leave Texas for cruises.  We are cruising on the Vista this year and that will be the biggest ship we've been on.  We loved our Liberty cruise so this is exciting news for us.

Liberty of the Seas is larger than Carnival Vista.

• Like 2