Seaside Fantastica Balcony - First Cruise from Miami Dec. 22

rvfloyd

We are new to cruising & booked the christmas seaside cruise dep. Miami on Dec. 22 on a last minute whim.   

I am finding it very difficult to understand what is and what is not included with the drink packages.  For instance, is gelato/ice cream included? Non alcoholic special coffee (cappuccino, latte)?    Are the drink packages worth it?  For instance I do like a glass or 2 of prosecco once in a while, whereas my husband drinks a bit more.   I do love my gelato/ice cream & especially capuccinos.

Also our booking says we get 12 drink vouchers but does not say whether that is per person or per cabin.  I called the MSC canadian number but the girl did not know the answers to these questions.

We have also been looking at the vast array of spa packages, mind boggling to say the least, but wondering how one would fit all these treatments in if we are only at sea for 2 days and presumably in port and exploring the other 4 days.   If anyone has any experience with these things, I would appreciate a word of advice or two.

From what I understand it is better to book all these extra 'packages' before you go on your cruise as it is more expensive once you board.

Thanks to all!

Okay, you should be booked under the "Drinks On Us' package which took the place of the 12 Fantastica vouchers on Caribbean sailings from Miami.  I've attached a comparison chart showing what was included in that package.  The package ended on Dec 1st so MSC just took all information about it off their website, not very helpful.  If you have a MSC website account all you will now see are the Easy, Premium and Premium Plus packages.  If you planned on upgrading to a more inclusive package you better get on the phone with MSC now as the possibility to upgrade to the less expensive old packages is supposed to be ending very soon if not already passed.

2018 Drink Package Comparison Guide with Drinks On Us (Version2).pdf

Wow. Thank you for this.  Must say this is the most confusing vacation I have ever booked.  I called  MSC but they knew nothing about me being able to choose anything other than an upgrade to the current package I am getting - ie: 12 beverage vouchers.  She also did not know whether we EACH got 12 vouchers, or if it was for the cabin.  She also did not know if the Easy Drink package included the gelato.  I do want my specialty coffee and my gelato!

You can get some very confused people at the MSC call center, it might be worth trying again.  You should have the Drinks On Us package.  I really don't think you will be getting the Fantastica vouchers, but if for some reason that is how you were booked it would be 12 per person, kids get a non-alcoholic version.  They were basically good for the same beverage choices as the Classic plan.  The time frame to be grandfathered to upgrade to the old Classic and Deluxe plans may have expired.  None of the new/current drink packages include gelato.

Edited by Até

I think I now understand, did you book the Winter Sale or Save & Sail promotion?  If so you will get the 12 vouchers per person.  Unfortunately they have no upgrade value and your only upgrade option would be pay full price and have to upgrade to one of the new packages.

Edited by Até

Yes booked the winter sale.  I am ok with 12 alcoholic beverages a week, wouldn't drink that much at home but wish I could get my gelato and coffee.  Oh well - perhaps I can use my vouchers for those things!   

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Many people liked the vouchers more than the Drinks On Us because they were good for better quality drinks, pretty much the same choices as the Classic package.  They have a value of about $6 to $8 each so would be a waste if used for most coffees.  If you go back to the comparison chart I first posted you will see at the bottom Classic included some extra snack items.  There have been mixed results regarding getting a gelato, usually it's denied.  In fact many people were denied things like milk shakes, which are specifically listed as a Classic benefit.  Unfortunately you are often at the mercy of the attending bar staff.  Go to the Cruise Critic meet & mingle and ask the Hotel Manager or Food & Beverage Manager what beverages/snacks they are currently including with the vouchers,  it may work to your advantage.

Here's a photo of one of our left over vouchers from our last Divina cruise. I agree with Ate, use the vouchers to their best value, alcoholic drinks. For cheaper items give yourself some onboard credit. Look at the various menus here on CC to estimate a budget.

20181124_174025.jpg

My spouse and I drink a fair bit while on a cruise.  When I last had vouchers I was able to purchase an extra book of 18, now no longer available.  So in total we had 42, or 3 drinks per person per day.  I just purchased beer and mineral water outright as they were usually under the value of a voucher, and saved the vouchers for the more expensive drinks.  This probably has changed for beers under the new bar menu pricing structure, but should still be true for things like special coffee and bottled water.

8 hours ago, rvfloyd said:

Thank you very much, this is helpful.   I guess you did not buy an extra beverage package - only used the vouchers & that was enough?   

Yes, last year you could buy extra vouchers which were perfect for us. They used to have vouchers for everything,  coffees, bottles of wine at dinner etc. It was a brilliant system that let you tailor your drinks budget to your actual vacation drinking habits.

MSC offered several different booking rates/packages so you may or may not.  Look at your booking documents for a rate description.  It could say Drinks On Us, Winter Sale, Save & Sail or Escape Sale promotions.   Therefore it could have any or no drink package perks, but since you say "upgraded" it implies you had something to start from.  What was this upgrade cost per day?

I rechecked our paperwork and it does not say anything except "each person will get 12 drink vouchers".   There is no rate description.  We booked around the 1st of November.  I also called MSC who told me they no longer offer purchase of extra drink vouchers on board HOWEVER the ship may still offer them.   LOL - not really a definitive answer.  

1 hour ago, rvfloyd said:

LOL - not really a definitive answer.  

I know you can't purchase additional vouchers online an longer.  It might be possible they hide a few books on the ship, but most staff/bars you will meet at boarding are usually more intent on you purchasing a new package.  Because there is no possible upgrade from Fantastica vouchers and purchasing a new package would nullify the vouchers you already have you can try going to Guest Services, plead that case and inquire if they have any of the voucher books for sale.  The old price was $89 for 18 vouchers, that will probably be different than current prices on board plus 15% gratuity.  If you are wanting items like beer and special coffees it might be better to ration the vouchers for the more expensive drinks and just pay for the cheaper drinks, so check out the bar prices first.

23 hours ago, rvfloyd said:

I rechecked our paperwork and it does not say anything except "each person will get 12 drink vouchers".   There is no rate description.  We booked around the 1st of November.  I also called MSC who told me they no longer offer purchase of extra drink vouchers on board HOWEVER the ship may still offer them.   LOL - not really a definitive answer.  

I would be extremely sceptical of this, "more for less" vouchers were eliminated November 2017. Also the 12 fantastica vouchers weren't going to be available for sailings after March 2019 on bookings made after August 2018.