h-sar

Those with extensive experience in ATL

Four of us will be flying Edmonton-Toronto-Atlanta-Fort L on Dec 22. The ATL to FLL leg is on Delta, while the first part is on WestJet. These are two completely different bookings (insane prices even back in Feb when I booked led to this two airline booking, something I don’t like to do). One in the party does not have a Nexus card, the other three do. We have a 2 and 1/2 hr layover in ATL. Will that be enough time to  get bags, deposit them with Delta, go through security (I’m assuming these are all the steps we’d have to go through), and get to the gate? If not, we may have to consider doing a carryon only for the non Nexus person. Does ATL have Nexus entry at security? 

The next Delta flight from ATL after ours isn’t until the next morning, the 23rd, at 7:00 AM. Cruise is on the 23rd.

Hoping those of you with experience in ATL can advise. Thank you.

You will clear US immigration in Toronto  if on Westjet  to ATL   your bags  may be through checked

you can check  the procedure

www.torontopearson.com

I suspect  in ATL  you will need to collect your bags   then  check in with Delta

Maybe ask on the air forum

2 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

You will clear US immigration in Toronto  if on Westjet  to ATL   your bags  may be through checked

you can check  the procedure

www.torontopearson.com

I suspect  in ATL  you will need to collect your bags   then  check in with Delta

Maybe ask on the air forum

Will do! Thank you. Forgot about the air forum.

Have you called Delta to see if the reservations can be linked and the bags checked thru?

Since you’re an Atlanta-bound international passenger arriving at Hartsfield-Jackson, you’ll exit into the international terminal arrivals area after clearing Customs. You won’t be able to get through security to access the people-mover train to the main terminal, but you can take a shuttle to the main terminal, where you can check your baggage for your Delta flight..

the flight to ATL is probably domestic  as you will clear US immigration/Customs in Toronto

check on the ATL website to see what terminal your flight arrive & depart 

It is  the separate  ticket  that is the problem

5 hours ago, paul929207 said:

Have you called Delta to see if the reservations can be linked and the bags checked thru?

As usual, Paul, you're a genius! Did what you suggested and it turns out that, because Westjet is a partner with Delta,  our Westjet flight from Toronto to ATL is actually on Delta and we can have our bags checked in all the way to FLL (as the ATL to FLL ticket is with Delta directly.) They also think it's a strong possibility that we will be coming into and leaving out of the same terminal as both flights are Delta and might then be able to bypass exiting and doing security all over again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

16 hours ago, h-sar said:

Four of us will be flying Edmonton-Toronto-Atlanta-Fort L on Dec 22. The ATL to FLL leg is on Delta, while the first part is on WestJet. These are two completely different bookings (insane prices even back in Feb when I booked led to this two airline booking, something I don’t like to do). One in the party does not have a Nexus card, the other three do. We have a 2 and 1/2 hr layover in ATL. Will that be enough time to  get bags, deposit them with Delta, go through security (I’m assuming these are all the steps we’d have to go through), and get to the gate? If not, we may have to consider doing a carryon only for the non Nexus person. Does ATL have Nexus entry at security? 

The next Delta flight from ATL after ours isn’t until the next morning, the 23rd, at 7:00 AM. Cruise is on the 23rd.

Perhaps the only  problem (keeping fingers crossed, this DOES NOT happen) might be something you can't control and I'm speaking of is bad weather either at your airport OR between there or Atlanta. Hopefully this won't happen for you because we leave on the 21st driving down from south Atlanta to Port Canaveral on a seven day cruise. So, best wishes for ALL either flying too or driving out of Atlanta that week! Have a WONDEFUL cruise out of FLL !

Mac

(P.S I worked at HJ airport for almost thirty years with Delta and weather there can be tricky, to say the least!)                      

Edited by SmoothFlying
misspelled word

1 hour ago, h-sar said:

As usual, Paul, you're a genius! Did what you suggested and it turns out that, because Westjet is a partner with Delta,  our Westjet flight from Toronto to ATL is actually on Delta and we can have our bags checked in all the way to FLL (as the ATL to FLL ticket is with Delta directly.) They also think it's a strong possibility that we will be coming into and leaving out of the same terminal as both flights are Delta and might then be able to bypass exiting and doing security all over again. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Glad to help.

18 hours ago, h-sar said:

Generally you will clear customs and immigration in Toronto. If that is the case and are on time you will have enough time.

3 hours ago, h-sar said:

IN this case 2.5 hours is more than enough time, you will have plenty of time. Don't assume that you will be in the same terminal. I can assure you that you do not clear security between terminals. Delta uses, A, B, C, and D. They are connected by train or you can walk. You will not have to clear security in Atlanta. Check the airport map. Atlanta is very easy to navigate.

Edited by zqvol

There is only one "terminal".  There are seven interconnected concourses, all airside connected and DL uses all of them.  Not just A through D.

All flights from YYZ to the USA are pre-clearance, so there is no immigration or customs at the USA arrival point.