Credit card charge

pugdad1

37 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Now, I am even more confused.  Does a hold show up on your CC as a pending charge?  Or something else?

Thanks

Yes...a hold will be a pending charge. If you are using a cc with $2000 available, and they put a $200 each day for a 7 day cruise, there will be seven $200 pending charges. This will eat up $1400 of your $2000 available credit leaving you with $600 available. If your final bill is more than $600, it will be declined as there is not that much credit remaining. They already have approved authorization codes for the 7 $200 holds. They should simply submit the bill using the authorization codes they have already obtained.

They aren't cheating anyone, because the hold should be released. But any unaware traveler, or someone that didn't bring all of their cards, could be in a tough predicament. 

24 minutes ago, txflood33 said:

Yes...a hold will be a pending charge. If you are using a cc with $2000 available, and they put a $200 each day for a 7 day cruise, there will be seven $200 pending charges. This will eat up $1400 of your $2000 available credit leaving you with $600 available. If your final bill is more than $600, it will be declined as there is not that much credit remaining. They already have approved authorization codes for the 7 $200 holds. They should simply submit the bill using the authorization codes they have already obtained.

They aren't cheating anyone, because the hold should be released. But any unaware traveler, or someone that didn't bring all of their cards, could be in a tough predicament. 

Thank you for taking the time to explain the process for me.  I was just curious as I am fortunate enough to have a very high limit and no outstanding balances, therefore I have never had this issue.  Of course I see pending charges frequently and some of them never become real charges.

18 hours ago, gotcha3 said:

If the cruise is paid in advance (90 days out?) why are they putting a daily hold on any card?

They do it once you board. It covers your on board service charges, unless you prepay them, plus it covers any purchases you make.

On previous cruises, they processed the purchases every few days, but those were longer cruises.  On a 7 night or shorter cruise, they generally don’t reconcile until the end.  

The problem occurs when you don’t have sufficient available credit if there are a number of small holds.  The charges don’t line up, so a large debit doesn’t work.

Best answer is to use a card with a high available credit, or to go down the night before and pay the account in cash or with a different card.