EDGE REVIEWS POSTED...not very positive!

hcat

On 12/9/2018 at 2:31 PM, hcat said:

I understood your comment  and agree 100 %....but many  won't get it.

EDGE, while  beautiful in certain areas,  seems to be a jazzed up more expensive ship...more Royal than X..

It's  different style of cruising....  Not the  classic X approach to Modern Luxury with a fresh touch, which is what we hoped for,,,

Jazz and hcat- perhaps you will come back after you have sailed Edge and comment on the perceived  noise and glitz.  I did understand the comment.  I just don't see Edge being in the same category as the activity and noise oriented mega RCCL ships (or Carnival or NCL for that matter).  I expect it to be a quieter and more refined experience.  But not completely dead either.  Celebrity is trying to attract a younger more refined cruiser, so they need to have a balance providing some nightlife and entertainment and excitement.  It is evolving.  I'm sure you can find quiet on Edge or any other Celebrity ship.  If it has evolved beyond our tastes there are a lot of other cruise lines and ships out there.  One will provide a product to our liking I'm sure.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2018 at 11:39 PM, Nymich said:

From what I can see the Edge is a beautiful ship that has many things for many people.  The Cabins are really bad.  The infinite veranda is a glorified porthole and the cabin that has a traditional balcony actually is a porthole!   I saw a video of a sky suite that has a tiny table on the balcony with two useless chairs.  So if you like your balcony to sun or eat breakfast….forget it.  For that manner stay out of your cabin and Edge looks very appealing...….but not for me......not at those crazy prices.   I will wait until prices plunge.....which they will and at least if I do travel on Edge my expectations of the cabin will be realistic.   Thank goodness we live in an age when we can see these things with a little bit of research!

Glad to be heading out on Reflection in a few months for our 5th Celebrity cruise!

I have to say your impression of the Edge is nearly 100% the same as mine!  

6 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Jazz and hcat- perhaps you will come back after you have sailed Edge and comment on the perceived  noise and glitz.  I did understand the comment.  I just don't see Edge being in the same category as the activity and noise oriented mega RCCL ships (or Carnival or NCL for that matter).  I expect it to be a quieter and more refined experience.  But not completely dead either.  Celebrity is trying to attract a younger more refined cruiser, so they need to have a balance providing some nightlife and entertainment and excitement.  It is evolving.  I'm sure you can find quiet on Edge or any other Celebrity ship.  If it has evolved beyond our tastes there are a lot of other cruise lines and ships out there.  One will provide a product to our liking I'm sure.

The problems I have experienced on Celebrity in the recent past fall into two categories:  music that is too loud for the venue, and the endless loops that sounded like a band tuning up but never playing a recognizable song – and as a music lover, I found the latter just as annoying as the too-loud DJs.  ASCAP doesn't charge that much that it's worth ducking the license fee...

On 12/8/2018 at 6:13 AM, vtcruising said:

As with anything new, there are going to be unexpected issues. The thing to watch is how these things are addressed. If they aren't addressed, we will have something to complain about. I saw them trying to address issues over the 3 cruises. An example: we ate in Fine Cut Steakhouse on the 27th and heard the very loud Martini Bar below (luckily we were tucked further inside so it wasn't too loud for us). We ate there again on Dec 1 (yes, it is that good!) and the music was low key until 10:15 as we were finishing up (we had a 9:00 reservation). We sat right by the rail overlooking the Martini Bar and it looked like a lovely place to hang out and enjoy quiet music. They obviously listened to people and changed.

Those of us on the early cruises get to enjoy the adventure and discovery of a new ship, but will likely experience some glitches. Some want it all - the adventure and perfection, so set themselves up for disappointment. Hopefully, the fixable issues will be fixed and the issues inherent in the ship's structure will turn out to be non-issues (such as issues with infinite verandas). I personally would give it 6-12 months to get a better feel of which way this ship will go.

PS: I also am not in the travel industry, media or have any affiliation with Celebrity, but I am more of a glass 3/4 full person. 🙂

Hi Marilyn!

I actually had someone get upset with me about saying this, but it was with half full or half empty...I so agree!  One must do their research, and be ready to improvise if needed, but the element of surprise can be good or not so good, yet one's reaction is the most important...IMHO.  All of us give it meaning based on our individual prior experiences...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 7:32 AM, Turtles06 said:

IMNiles: thank you for taking the time to do a review.  For those of us who haven't sailed on Edge, could you (or anyone else who has been on board) please tell us: 

1) is there a forward-facing exterior deck area, open to everyone  -- the kind of open deck area from which it's great to watch sail-ins and sail-aways, and also just enjoy the ocean (like the areas facing over the bow on Decks 15 and 16 on the S-class ships); and

2) is there an interior, forward-facing lounge (like the Sky Lounge on S-class), open to everyone, and great for watching the ocean (and sail-ins, sail-aways) when the weather is too hot, cold, or wet to be outdoors, or when you just want to sit in a comfortable chair and have that great view of the water

(if yes as to either, where are they?)

Thanks!

Trying this again since my first post seemed to go into the ether.  Based on my recollection, not forward-facing, no.  I did notice the absence of the sky lounge, and I’m not sure what the intended replacement space is.  I’m not aware of any public spaces right at the front of the ship, so if this is important to you then that would certainly impact your decision.  As with many other ships, the gym and spa have views out the front, but unless you’re in the thermal suite that’s not really where you’re going to hang out.

As I recall, the open deck areas are all from the solarium back.  The views out from the pool deck (including from the Solarium) are much improved, and are even better from the magic carpet (when it’s parked on that deck).  I’m particularly fond of the new running track, which actually winds between two decks, offering a much more interesting range of views for those walking/running on the track.  As I noted before, I found the sunset bar to be a little cramped, but the views out from both the inside and outside of the ocean view cafe are hugely improved.  Finally, with the dining rooms moved out of the prime aft space, Eden has a huge multi-deck aft-facing view, as well as outdoor public seating on both sides.  

So a bit of a mixed bag on this score, to be sure.  For me personally, not being someone who likes to be in the sun, I’m perfectly happy, but I know that others will not be.

• Thanks 1

New ships, especially new classes of ships usually don't get great reviews right out of the gate but things will improve for Edge once they get some bugs worked out.  I do think though that they'll never be glowing as too many people will be disappointed in her balconies..or should I say lack of balconies.  Sure wish I could open a window at home and claim I have an additional balcony -  would do wonders for my home value :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, ronbe65 said:

Let me respectfully disagree with "New ships, especially new classes of ships usually don't get great reviews right out of the gate".

Good ships that confirm a really new quality of cruising experience do receive great (at least very good) reviews right away.

Think of Celebrity Solstice, Oasis of the Seas, Nieuw Amsterdam, Norwegian Getaway, Viking Star.

On the opposite side, inaugural seasons of the new glitzy tricks were less that stellar: Quantum of the Seas, Royal Princess,  NCL Epic, MSC Meraviglia.

It can be easily seen in the "Reviews" section.

Happy cruising!

Celebrity Reflection was panned on her first couple of cruises.  And I did say usually.

9 hours ago, TeeRick said:

Of course I will do a cruise review., although Vt  and others have

set the bar very high.

We sail next month in AQ. ( and in a SV in Nov)

I have a  nice list of quiet, mellow spaces, good dining spots and hopefully shows I can relate to and  bands that are not  too noisy. Looking forward to the Rooftop Garden and parts of EDEN and trying out the Club..for someyhing with a new energy. We expect to be in the thermal suites and spa and gym quite a bit on the AQ class cruise.

We disliked Reflection during the Miami DJ  loud music  disruption....also the horrid  bongo  player ; and  did not find anything luxurious or elegant about Oasis. Just a series of malls. 

I get that times and demographics change,  but a younger refined cruiser  would likely be repelled by some of the EDEN  nonsense!

Anyhow..stay tuned..

Edited by hcat

I sailed on the 3 day preview as a paying customer and was very pleased with my experience.  Was everything perfect?  Of course not, but what is?  We loved Edge and will sail again.  We also still love s-class and will sail those too.  Very different experiences but we enjoy variety in our travel.  I hope to post a more detailed review this weekend once I catch up at work.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ATLgirl15 said:

I sailed on the 3 day preview as a paying customer and was very pleased with my experience.  Was everything perfect?  Of course not, but what is?  We loved Edge and will sail again.  We also still love s-class and will sail those too.  Very different experiences but we enjoy variety in our travel.  I hope to post a more detailed review this weekend once I catch up at work.

Thanks for your comments and look forward to your review.

2 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

Let me respectfully disagree with "New ships, especially new classes of ships usually don't get great reviews right out of the gate".

Good ships that confirm a really new quality of cruising experience do receive great (at least very good) reviews right away.

Think of Celebrity Solstice, Oasis of the Seas, Nieuw Amsterdam, Norwegian Getaway, Viking Star.

On the opposite side, inaugural seasons of the new glitzy tricks were less that stellar: Quantum of the Seas, Royal Princess,  NCL Epic, MSC Meraviglia.

Happy cruising!

Quantum early reviews were horrible 

3 hours ago, ronbe65 said:

Happy cruising!

We liked S Class from the outset...although some things were a big change/ adjustment from M Class. Other than Oasis, which we tried and disliked,  none of the others are familiar to us or on our list of ships we would care to try. 

X was always a cut above so we never really needed to stray, once we found our niche.  We did enjoy Cunard and  Royal C ships before the big beasts!

Hopefully X will correct some of the  issues raised in early reviews and all will be good!

16 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

The problems I have experienced on Celebrity in the recent past fall into two categories:  music that is too loud for the venue, and the endless loops that sounded like a band tuning up but never playing a recognizable song – and as a music lover, I found the latter just as annoying as the too-loud DJs.  ASCAP doesn't charge that much that it's worth ducking the license fee...

Yes Jazz I agree with you but I usually find music on the ship somewhere to my own personal taste.  Other paying passengers apparently do like some of the high energy loud music.  I have really no issue with that. I enjoy walking right through the Silent Disco without having to listen to it.  I tend to avoid the venues with DJ's.  But some of the house bands are enjoyable and there are scattered soloists and duets here and there playing quieter music to my liking.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes Jazz I agree with you but I usually find music on the ship somewhere to my own personal taste.  Other paying passengers apparently do like some of the high energy loud music.  I have really no issue with that. I enjoy walking right through the Silent Disco without having to listen to it.  I tend to avoid the venues with DJ's.  But some of the house bands are enjoyable and there are scattered soloists and duets here and there playing quieter music to my liking.  

I have a nephew who flies around to techno concerts... were i think DJs are involve... I really have no idea... just that the music is heavy on a strong beat... loud and lots of special effects... lights smoke... explosions... So given that he is 35... yea this is for the millennials. The challenge is that there seems to be an even more pronounced generation gap than other generations... if you consider technology as well as music tastes. I applaud the company making the effort... the question is the ability to attract new users vs lose rate of existing loyalists.. we will see.  You know Oasis class does a nice job...using the neighborhood concept of separating areas so that... you want a nice quiet romantic dinner... head to Central Park...where a string quartet performs and the dining is a bit more intimate (that has actually declined some recently.. but I digress). You want a summertime beach town feel... head to the Boardwalk... you want solitude... head to Solarium Bistro.... you want to dance... studio B. Okay you want the typical Royal parade (not a fan)... head to the Royal Promenade. I tried Celebrity Sep'17 for first time... have done 4 S class since then... why... the peace and tranquil experience... a bit more elegant... and with the exception of the nightly DJ by the marini bar.. which you can avoid... and head to the ensemble lounge and listen to a duo or something more easy listening.  I will be interested in how the openness of the atrium impacts the ability to separate areas... sounds... energy level.  

Celebrity is definitely trying to appeal to a younger crowd, but as people evolve, their company has to as well or they won’t survive. A lot of people would say “don’t fix something that’s not broken” and I wholeheartedly agree to an extent. Maybe revolutionizing the cabins into IVs was a mistake, but there was no way to know until they tried.  In this day and age everyone is trying to keep with the times because technology seems to be advancing at an alarming pace, and Celebrity wanted to ensure their new class of ships wouldn’t be classified as “the same” and to identify as an innovative cruiseline. I place things like the IV cabins and technology based changes under this category. Concerning entertainment, I agree they should have left well enough alone and just refined new production shows to be really good. I guess they think the Eden concept will appeal to the younger cruiser because again, it’s something different, however as someone who falls into this demographic, I find it over the top and strange. I did not at all like their emphasis on circ du soleil (or however you spell it) and completely avoided it on S class. The mermaid thing in the solarium was odd and my husband and I promptly left after checking it out. This whole Eden entertainment monstrosity falls under the category of simply trying too hard. They’re trying so hard in the entertainment aspect that I believe this interactive entertainment in Eden will too fail. I liken to going to an amusement park in Halloween and they have zombies walking around trying to scare you or freak you out. If I want that (which, I wouldn’t) you better believe I won’t be going on my cruise vacation hoping to find it and would look to find it somewhere more appropriate, like Six Flags. With that said, I think we will avoid Eden whenever there’s so much of this going on, find the areas there that the performers don’t hang out, and make sure to NOT dine there. Not every venue on the S class ships was for us. We found where we liked to hang out and stuck to those spots and I’m sure Edge will be the same. 

Point being, it’s good they’re trying new things. It’s good they’re trying to appeal to a larger demographic. I think they will find though that to keep their loyal cruisers, they will need to find that happy medium on all fronts, especially the changed aspects. This was an experiment, and they’re listening because they KNOW they don’t have it right just yet. Every new class of ships should be different from the last, and if they get enough feedback to implement more changes or go back to some of their old ways, they will. S class went through growing pains, and so will Edge class. It’s a work in progress. 

Side note - those falling into the 34-35 age range category don’t exactly identify with the “millennial” name. We identify as “xennials” - we grew up differently with  different mindsets to classify us as a separate generation. Simple for us to transition to modern day technology, however we didn’t have it growing up. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

Celebrity is definitely trying to appeal to a younger crowd, but as people evolve, their company has to as well or they won’t survive.

"Celebrity is definitely trying to appeal to a younger crowd," with money who actually want to spend it on a cruise and without their kids  . 

I never thought about taking a cruise in my thirties or early forties . Now well into my fifties many of my friends are waiting to cruise when they are much older . My point is can Celebrity convince these youngish consumers to spend serious money on a cruise . Now they may cruise with kids but why will they do it on Celebrity and why on this new family of ships . 

Edited to say that if this strategy doesn't work out as well as they wish, they can always make the smallish modifications to appeal to Celebrity's core clientele .

Edited by richstowe

On 12/9/2018 at 4:26 PM, emileg said:

We have stateroom 9101 booked for an early January cruise. This ocean view cabin is two decks under the center of the bridge. The fare is lower than for any verandah, infinite or otherwise: one step up from "steerage."😉 And guess what? Forward views. As for public areas, the fitness center has forward views. 

Please come back and let us know your thoughts, we are booked in 9100 for the November TA and after reading about the IV staterooms are glad we didn’t go down that road 

Rosy 

55 minutes ago, AidenL said:

So what age group are we speculating Edge is aimed at then? 

And whats eats the average age of general Celebrity cruisers? 

My guess is late 20s, 30s, early 40s. Average Celebrity cruiser probably ranges from 45-80. 

I’ve been cruising them since I was 16 and they were always my line of choice. 18 years later I now fall into the age range of their current target and some of the changes aren’t for me. Just goes to show that they’re not sure what this age group likes. However maybe I’m not considered part of their new targeted demographic, since at age 16 I already preferred their product over the other lines 🤷‍♀️  People we know who have sailed both in our age range might prefer Royal because they say they’re a little bored on Celebrity or that they don’t identify with the current customer on the line and don’t meet many people their age. I think that can be true, but my husband and I just tended to make friends with the crew 😂 I also preferred Celebrity because I liked to relax on board rather than go to clubs and party. If I wanted that I would go to Ibiza. But, still, I don’t see myself wanting that, lol I’d take a Celebrity cruise over that any day.

Do you think it's  an age thing or  are they trying to interest a clientele that likes odd  edgy costumes and freaky, creepy shows,  etc Sort of like a perpetual fantasy fest.

Hope the EDEN  thing fails so we can all enjoy that beaitiful space!

5 hours ago, richstowe said:

"Celebrity is definitely trying to appeal to a younger crowd," with money who actually want to spend it on a cruise and without their kids...

3 hours ago, AidenL said:

So what age group are we speculating Edge is aimed at then?

2 hours ago, CruisingTheWaves said:

My guess is late 20s, 30s, early 40s.

Right – and at these prices, DINKs [double income, no kids]

Celebrity needs to attract a younger crowd for their long-term survival.  Get them cruising and establish brand loyalty if possible.  Somebody has to replace us older folks over time.  We won't be here forever last I checked!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Right – and at these prices, DINKs [double income, no kids]

If they are aiming for the 20-----39 and 40 age group they should have just gone out and visited a few of the most popular Bars, Sports Bars and Clubs in a few Cities for entertainment preferences. 

It amazes me to see a chain like Dave and Buster's become the number 1 most popular place for Millennials to frequent with almost astronomical revenue growth in the past 2 years. 

When they change the Writhing Phantasm-like events in Eden to adult sizes arcade motorcycle rides and reward winning ticket issuing free throw games I will believe they did some research and are truly aimed at this new supposed demographic target, rather than what they have come up with in their own dreams.

7 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Celebrity needs to attract a younger crowd for their long-term survival.  Get them cruising and establish brand loyalty if possible.  Somebody has to replace us older folks over time.  We won't be here forever last I checked!

Any business that has the intention of long-term survival will strive to attract new customers while retaining their current customer base. Celebrity has made it clear that Edge and its follow-on ships are targeted at "affluent" millennials. Celebrity doesn't seem to recognize that Boomers have several more years of cruising ahead of them. (Or perhaps Celebrity understands that Boomers know the difference between a veranda and a veranda-less veranda.)