Keri's Cruisin'

FLL and Miami Pre and Post Cruise Questions

Help needed.  Flying in to FLL day before our cruise from POM.  Flying out of FLL 1 day after our cruise returns. I need help w the following: 

1. Cheapest way to get 4 people w luggage from FLL airport to a hotel on South Beach? (staying here the night before the cruise)

2. Suggestions of places to stay on South Beach for under $200/night.

3. Cheapest way to get 4 people w luggage from POM to hotel in FLL? 

4. Suggestions of places to stay near the beach in FLL for under $200/night.

Thanks in advance!

Keri

Given that hotel prices vary with the season (high season - winter - is very expensive; low season - summer - is inexpensive; shoulder seasons - spring and fall - are in between), it would help if you gave us your travel dates to provide recommendations for questions 2 and 4.  Also, are you looking for a room for 4 or two rooms?  Many South Beach hotels - especially the older ones - have smaller rooms than most travelers are used to.

Boy this posts sets off quite a few alarm bells. Declaring you are "staying [on South Beach] the night before the cruise" and then revealing you have done no research as to hotels yet--especially as your budget is wholly unrealistic outside the mid-summer doldrums. 

As hinted above very, very few properties on SoBe have rooms that hold more than two persons. Likely only ones you will find are at the luxury hotels near the Convention Center which run $500+ per night during the season (again, we really really need dates to answer your questions). So plan on two rooms.

Also, what are your ages and interests? Are persons no. 3 and 4 your kids? Because the Ocean Drive area is, to put it quite mildly, not very family-friendly. Nor desirable if you are unable to sleep with lots and lots of background noise coming through the window. There are boutique hotels in restored Art Deco buildings a block or two in from the ocean that may work, or larger properties (but again with WW2-vintage small rooms) between 15th and 21st streets on the ocean. But not for $200 during the season.

Ft Lauderdale has more variety as the beach area contains mostly national chains rather than what one finds in a neighborhood such as South Beach where all the hotels are listed properties that cannot be modernized. But again if during peak season you will drop a lot closer to $300 per night (though rooms for four are plentiful).

For post cruise you may just want to rent a car that you can return at FLL the next day, so long as your hotel does not charge for parking. Unfortunately at Miami Beach hotels even for registered guests parking fees run an arm, a leg, and your first born child--so you should look into a shared shuttle service or just bite the bullet for an Uber XL; one or the other should be in the $60-70 range for four persons.

10 hours ago, Keri's Cruisin' said:

Help needed.  Flying in to FLL day before our cruise from POM.  Flying out of FLL 1 day after our cruise returns. I need help w the following: 

1. Cheapest way to get 4 people w luggage from FLL airport to a hotel on South Beach? (staying here the night before the cruise)

2. Suggestions of places to stay on South Beach for under $200/night.

3. Cheapest way to get 4 people w luggage from POM to hotel in FLL? 

4. Suggestions of places to stay near the beach in FLL for under $200/night.

Thanks in advance!

Keri

UberXL from FLL to your Miami Beach hotel will run about $70-75+ depending upon location.  Same option and fare will get you from POM to your FLL area hotel.  www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area hotel and tourist info.

I agree with the above - dates and more info will help the suggestions to be closer to your target.  If SB hotels do not work for your dates/budget/group size I would check out hotel in downtown Miami - Hampton Inn Mary Brickell, Doubletree, Intercontinental, and several Marriott options.

1. Uber. Depending on how much luggage you may need an UberXL. If so you are looking at $75.00 or so. 

2. No idea, because we don't know when you are staying. Unless it is in the summer June-August that price range will be hard and will be more 2.5-3 star properties in South Beach. Usually with smaller rooms. I suggest taking a look at staying in Brickell or Downtown Miami and taking a quick Uber to South Beach. 

3. Same answer as question 1. 

4. I don't know the area well. Depends if you want to stay by the beach or by the airport. By the airport will have cheaper rates but without a rental car you'll need to uber around to attractions. 

Sorry, I left out my dates.  We will be arriving to FLL on Sunday May 19th and our cruise returns on Friday May 20th and we fly out on Saturday May 21st from FLL.  

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I should mention this is 4 adults.  So would it be cheaper to take a regular UBER for 2 and take 2 cars?  

1 hour ago, Keri's Cruisin' said:

Sorry, I left out my dates.  We will be arriving to FLL on Sunday May 19th and our cruise returns on Friday May 20th and we fly out on Saturday May 21st from FLL.  

Thanks for all the suggestions.  I should mention this is 4 adults.  So would it be cheaper to take a regular UBER for 2 and take 2 cars?  

Hotel prices in May will be more reasonable than in Jan & Feb.  Fare for two UberX cars will be almost identical to the fare for one UberXL -- unless there is a long wait for an XL I would not split up.

Thanks for the replies.  I did book my hotel for FLL today.  Friday May 24-25th which I just realized is Memorial Day Weekend so a lot of properties were already booked...

I booked the Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale East.  Room w 2 Queen beds/balcony.  Free cancellation.  For $93.00/night. 

Booked through SNAPTravel which I highly recommend. Have used them before.  Lowest rates I've ever found.  

Hotel is about 1.5 miles walk to Lauderdale by the Sea and 14 miles to airport. Will work just fine for us for the day our cruise returns.  Free breakfast, Free shuttle to anywhere within a 3 mile radius of hotel if we don't want to walk to the beach....

Still looking at Miami for precruise night May 19th-20th.  We will UBER back and forth I guess unless SAS is cheaper.  Have used them before and they were great.  

So the search continues for something in Miami precruise. Any suggestions welcome! 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Keri's Cruisin' said:

Thanks for the replies.  I did book my hotel for FLL today.  Friday May 24-25th which I just realized is Memorial Day Weekend so a lot of properties were already booked...

I booked the Courtyard by Marriott Fort Lauderdale East.  Room w 2 Queen beds/balcony.  Free cancellation.  For $93.00/night. 

Booked through SNAPTravel which I highly recommend. Have used them before.  Lowest rates I've ever found.  

Hotel is about 1.5 miles walk to Lauderdale by the Sea and 14 miles to airport. Will work just fine for us for the day our cruise returns.  Free breakfast, Free shuttle to anywhere within a 3 mile radius of hotel if we don't want to walk to the beach....

Still looking at Miami for precruise night May 19th-20th.  We will UBER back and forth I guess unless SAS is cheaper.  Have used them before and they were great.  

So the search continues for something in Miami precruise. Any suggestions welcome! 

Thanks!

Just FYI ... we can't name travel agencies here on CC.  Most of us wish we could ... but it's the policy. 

You can recommend and talk about your tour company and tour guides, etc.  

GREAT price for Marriott.  I like Marriott brand. 

1 hour ago, CruiseGal999 said:

Just FYI ... we can't name travel agencies here on CC.  Most of us wish we could ... but it's the policy.  

There is no policy against discussing specific reseller/consolidator websites for booking hotels, flights, rental cars et al. In fact there are even stickies about them on the corresponding boards. Only prohibition is naming who you booked your cruise with.

But back to the OP: how were you planning on getting from PortMiami to LBTS, and then from there to FLL the next day? Hopefully by renting a car as shared shuttles do not make such a long run and Uber XL estimates are $90 and $40 respectively. Though Memorial Day weekend will likely see high rates for rental cars not picked and dropped at the same location.

And I must add the warning: when you disembark the ship on Friday do not even think about heading toward Miami Beach. It is an absolute zoo that weekend. Most beach residents leave town for Memorial Day. Just head straight for the Broward county line.

4 minutes ago, fishywood said:

There is no policy against discussing specific reseller/consolidator websites for booking hotels, flights, rental cars et al. In fact there are even stickies about them on the corresponding boards. Only prohibition is naming who you booked your cruise with.

But back to the OP: how were you planning on getting from PortMiami to LBTS, and then from there to FLL the next day? Hopefully by renting a car as shared shuttles do not make such a long run and Uber XL estimates are $90 and $40 respectively. Though Memorial Day weekend will likely see high rates for rental cars not picked and dropped at the same location.

And I must add the warning: when you disembark the ship on Friday do not even think about heading toward Miami Beach. It is an absolute zoo that weekend. Most beach residents leave town for Memorial Day. Just head straight for the Broward county line.

Booked through SNAPTravel

Company name is SNAP Travel ... says it in the name.  Probably a good idea to NOT say it, recommend/promote it here on CC.  

I'm pretty sure it isn't limited to a Travel Agent/Agency that you booked your cruise with.  Since CC IS a travel agency ... they don't want discussions about any other travel agencies on here.  That is my understanding from what I've read and have seen many people post. 

Edited by CruiseGal999

deleted. shouldn't be wasting my time debating a self-appointed board policeman making up their own version of the guidelines.

Edited by fishywood

45 minutes ago, fishywood said:

deleted. shouldn't be wasting my time debating a self-appointed board policeman making up their own version of the guidelines.

But you have ... repeatedly.   😆

Gosh so sorry about mentioning the online site I used to book my hotel! Didn’t mean to upset anyone. I didn’t know you couldn’t do that. Came here to get advice...won’t do that again. :classic_sad: