Cruise Critic Community
djvincent

Miami parking

If you want your car to be where you left it I would park at the cruise terminal.  Yes, it is more expensive but the piece of mind is so worth it.  Miami is the only port where I would use their parking.  In addition to being a whole lot safer it is very easy to use with plenty of signage to direct you.

Posters on the  Florida Departures Board will most likely recommend sucking it up and paying for parking at the port, unless the hotel you stay at has a park and cruise option.   Others say park at the long term parking at MIA and Uber/Lyft?taxi to and from port.  Of the 2 parking services I know of downtown, SafeCruiseParkiing (which also operating in FLL) gets the better reviews, with most complaints being about slow shuttle service. The parking is in an uncovered lot but secured, and if you get there early enough you park your own vehicle. Premier Parking has a garage.  However, you leave the keys with them.  Sometimes they just place the keys on top of one of your rear wheels although they are supposed to put them in a valet box.  Again, shuttle service can be slow.

I hate driving in Miami even more than I hate parking there and I am going to drive down the day before the cruise and spend the night within an hour of the port anyway, so I am going to park at Park ‘N Fly at FLL and use Jiffy Jeff Transportation to get from FLL to the port.  It will cost less overall than parking at the port (in part due to cheaper Marriotts in the Fort Lauderdale area and an Amex statement credit for parking at Park ‘N Fly), but arriving relaxed instead of frazzled will be the best benefit.

I agree with Cushing, I would park at one of the garages at the terminal. We always drive to ports in Florida. except for Tampa where we use Uber.  We always park in a garage at the terminal.  That way I know my car is safe, it is covered from the elements, and I know it will be an easy walk to the car when our cruise is over. To me the cost of parking at the terminal (Miami was $22 last time we sailed out of there) is well worth it. The bottom line is you have to decide whether it is worth it to you. I know a lot of people who always park at off site locations, which usually saves them 50% or so from the garage parking rate at the terminal. 

I also hate paying $22 a day and swore that I would never pay that much just to park my car. But I don't trust anyone else in Miami to use so I just suck it up and pay up.

Has anyone tried the Earlington Heights lot@ $4.50?  It has 24 hour security and Uber is +/-  $5 to POM.  We have used Premier, (now $9.50), but shuttles are hit/miss.  Twelve days @ $22 is just too much at the Port.

On 12/7/2018 at 8:05 PM, neptuno said:

Has anyone tried the Earlington Heights lot@ $4.50?  It has 24 hour security and Uber is +/-  $5 to POM.  We have used Premier, (now $9.50), but shuttles are hit/miss.  Twelve days @ $22 is just too much at the Port.

I remembered a thread from years ago on just that topic and did a search:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2174913-getting-to-port-miami-by-public-transportation/?tab=comments#comment-46512782

Locals then definitely advised the OP to park at the port.

If you park offsite from the Port of Miami, it isn't IF your car gets damaged, stolen, etc but when.

Yes, people that park in Miami once a year or once every couple of years will tell you they've done it lots of times with no problems they are probably telling the truth.

Those of us that live here would never park off site.

We live about 3 hours north of the port and while doing 14 nights b2b last year we just did two one way rentals from MIA.  Free shuttle to/from the rental center and much cheaper than port parking.  I’d at least look into the rates.

Just returned from 12 day parking at Earlington Heights Metro for $4.50pd , very easy, Uber or Lyft to and from the Port, $8-10 for two people each way.  Uber pick up at the Port was much faster than any van we have ever used.  Vehicle was parked in a covered garage with 24 hour (armed) sheriff guard at the office at the entrance.  I would do this again for any cruise over three nights as the Port is up to $22pd.

26 minutes ago, neptuno said:

Just returned from 12 day parking at Earlington Heights Metro for $4.50pd , very easy, Uber or Lyft to and from the Port, $8-10 for two people each way.  Uber pick up at the Port was much faster than any van we have ever used.  Vehicle was parked in a covered garage with 24 hour (armed) sheriff guard at the office at the entrance.  I would do this again for any cruise over three nights as the Port is up to $22pd.

Glad it worked out for you - thanks for the feedback.

On 12/8/2018 at 10:54 PM, BlueHerons said:

If you park offsite from the Port of Miami, it isn't IF your car gets damaged, stolen, etc but when.

Yes, people that park in Miami once a year or once every couple of years will tell you they've done it lots of times with no problems they are probably telling the truth.

I mean it depends. I parked my two cars in a public parking garage in Downtown Miami for 4.5 years. Never had an issue, not once. Its all about the operator. People make it seem like every car is stolen or broken into every year. I have been living/working/or in Downtown Miami on a weekly/daily basis for 12-years now. Have parked in garages, on the street, in Bayside etc.. Never once have I ever had an issue. 

IMO it is more with the shady operators, bad shuttle service, and the savings not be great. The port is just so easy too. 

If you anyone wants to park off property, they need to research a lot, and I agree some lots are asking for trouble. But it is not 1998 anymore. The area has changed a lot, and your chances are still pretty low to have an issue with the car and theft. Now issues with bad operators, damaging cars, horrible service, shuttles that don't show up or take hours. Yes, that is common. 

On 12/8/2018 at 9:06 PM, neptuno said:

Bump-  Any one used Earlington Heights for long term parking?

It is not exactly in the best area that is for sure. Much worse crime area than say Downtown Miami. But if it has good security like it seems, then it should be fine. 

Edited by Flymia

On 12/8/2018 at 10:54 PM, BlueHerons said:

Blue Heron gives the best advice of all....and yet no one takes it seriously..

Well, with all due respect, we always park off-site for more than a three day cruise.  We just don't bring our best vehicle.