Need an advice

Arthur2010

Hi. I asked for some advice about crossing the Atlantic and some people thought I was messing around.  Please believe me I am not a lowlife person to play with peoples feelings. I had very bad depression and decided to go to Europe, visit my family.  But once I decided to go this unfunded fear came to me so I decided to ask in the forum and got all kinds of insults and disrespect from some people. There were lot of nice guys who gave me good advices . I thank them. All I wanted was help and advice.

I am going to book July 30 2020 crossing with Cunard Lines Queen Mary 2. I know in fact that cruise ships are very safe specially Queen Mary 2 . I look forward to that. But sometimes out of nowhere this fear attacks me . What if something goes wrong in the middle of the ocean. I know its 000.1 chance for that but when anxiety comes I fell so helpless . All I need is some support from people who traveled a lot and know things about oceans and ships. Thank you.

You will be fine. We have crossed the Atlantic 5 times without any problems. The ships are built to be able to handle the crossing without trouble. In addition, weather forecasting is much better now than in days gone by. The Captain will change the course if there is bad weather on the intended path.  

I've been on the ocean a long time including 24 years serving in different capacities with the USCG.  You're in good hands on the QM2, or any cruise ship crossing the Atlantic for that matter.  At any given time, another ship is somewhere in sight, even if just a speck on the horizon.  Furthermore, a cruise liner like the QM2 is designed to move fast and easily handle heavy seas while remaining stable.  I'm sure nothing will totally put your mind at ease but I assure you that you're going on probably the safest ship at sea.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Arthur2010 said:

Hi. I asked for some advice about crossing the Atlantic and some people thought I was messing around.  Please believe me I am not a lowlife person to play with peoples feelings. I had very bad depression and decided to go to Europe, visit my family.  But once I decided to go this unfunded fear came to me so I decided to ask in the forum and got all kinds of insults and disrespect from some people. There were lot of nice guys who gave me good advices . I thank them. All I wanted was help and advice.

I am going to book July 30 2020 crossing with Cunard Lines Queen Mary 2. I know in fact that cruise ships are very safe specially Queen Mary 2 . I look forward to that. But sometimes out of nowhere this fear attacks me . What if something goes wrong in the middle of the ocean. I know its 000.1 chance for that but when anxiety comes I fell so helpless . All I need is some support from people who traveled a lot and know things about oceans and ships. Thank you.

People who have never suffered severe anxiety cannot understand your situation. It is easy for me to say not to be concerned, but that may not be enough. Make sure you take your meds as prescribed.  There is no need to be concerned. The ship will be safe, and from a personal standpoint there are physicians and nurses on board that can take care of any health issues that may arise, including your anxiety.

• Like 1

Heidi 13 I thank you for your advices.  I didn't mean you and others who were nice. But some guys did and then someone erased those comments and blocked the topic. Anyways it's not important. Important thing is that I feel OK now. Hopefully will be later.

Haidi 13 if you decide to come to LA before summer 2020 let me know . I will invite you to my house for BBQ. I have a big family, nice house on Hollywood Hills with nice view. I feel good to talk to someone knowledgeable like you. It really helps me. Like I mentioned before I know a little about oceans and never knew anyone who worked at seas in my life. 

Thank you.

On 12/9/2018 at 8:54 AM, cb at sea said:

Bad stuff can happen anywhere.  You are safer on a ship than on the USA interstate systems!  You are more likely to be struck by lightening than being on a sinking ship!

Haha. But I agree with this. Just keep calm and look forward on the enjoyment part. :)

On every cruise sailing, shortly before departure will be the muster drill, which is a program providing required emergency instructions for every person aboard the ship.  Nothing is more important than safety.  The cruise lines take this so seriously. This is one reason why smoking areas are so restricted nowadays on cruise ships.  You will notice some people seem to think the muster drill is a nuisance, but I always think, my family will be the first ones on that lifeboat, while those folks are trying to remember where to go and what to do.

You are directed to the gathering point for your group and then the instructions are described.  Pay close attention to this!  The fact that they have a carefully designed protocol may reassure you some.  There is a life jacket for you in your room and there are enough lifeboats for everyone.  In addition to the lifeboats hanging around the ship, there may be many more inflatables in big drums on deck.

Of course this is not an appropriate place to get medical advice, so you might also look into counseling or seeing a physician for treatment of your anxiety.  Mental health is no joke and I am sorry if others treated you as though it is.

Unfortunately the nature of social media is that some people feel they can respond in a way that would be unacceptable in real life, rather than simply walking away from conversations where they don't have anything nice to say.

6 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

There is a life jacket for you in your room and there are enough lifeboats for everyone.  In addition to the lifeboats hanging around the ship, there may be many more inflatables in big drums on deck

Great information, but here are a couple of clarifications.

While ships traditionally have a lifejacket in the cabin for each passenger, this is not always the case. Changes to SOLAS have required additional Lifejackets at Evacuation Stations, so some ships now have all the lifejackets at the Assembly/Evacuation Stations. All Viking ships use this system.

SOLAS requires passenger vessels on International Voyages to have at least 125% lifesaving capacity for the maximum compliment of pax & crew. However, only 75% of the maximum compliment (or 37.5% each side) must be lifeboats, with the remainder canopied & inflatable liferafts. This normally provides sufficient lifeboats for the passengers, with the crew using liferafts.

Lifeboat sizes used to be a max of 150, but now are about 370. For liferafts, 25 person davit launched rafts are still in use, but most newer ships use Marine Evacuation Systems from RFD or Viking, which use 100+ person rafts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1