Magellan G903 Trans Panama Experience

Hello Cruisers

We have heard back from C&M again (twice more as we try to contact different executives) with no joy. They are still hiding behind the small print that all itineraries are subject to amendment and they have the right to change scheduled ports of call. Be that as it may to treat passengers to such gruelling embarkation (a large number of passengers were elderly & some with walking difficulties) without any compensation awarded we can only  conclude that they do not care a jot about our opinions. Many points raised still not answered & brushed under the carpet. What shameful behaviour. All my husband & I wanted was some onboard credit as a way of any apology, not much to ask as in real terms it would'nt have cost the company much a small % & they might have even gained if passengers spent over their awarded credit. This should have been given to all passengers. 

Everybody needs to be treated fairly & respectfully.....we just feel sad having to complain but think it's necessary to speak up. Although this cruise was reasonably priced we should all expect a decent level of service & customer care. This cruise did not live up to the description on the tin!

As for the ongoing problems with the 1st flight out on the outbound flight keep the faith & keep plugging away.

I wish you all perseverance & sustained energy in your ongoing correspondence. 

8 hours ago, fieldwest said:

Have been reading the terrible treatment you all received on your flights.

Just a thought but could you claim money back from your credit card company under section 75 f the consumer credit act? Also, if paid on debit card there is a charge back system. Lastly it may be possible to claim via the Small Claims Court - not expensive to raise and the other side have to attend your local court to defend. I know that some of this may not apply in your case if resident in Cyprus but may help others.

Good luck

Thank you fieldwest.  It had also occurred to me that Small Claims would be an action that we could (and will) take eventually.  As you state, the representatives of the "big boys" would have to attend at our court (not their court) - that would be something of an inconvenience I am sure.  Also how on earth are they going to defend the indefensible?

It actually surprises me that the existence of this thread alone should be causing them to act in a proper and reasonable manner.  We see many positive C&M threads on this MB - but ultimately there is this massive problem that they refuse to address, sitting at the top of this Board week after week.

Your advise about the credit card payment is being followed.  It looks like we may be "timed out" on that avenue however.

Edited by RompinDonkey

Mmm seems that I have been "timed out" to add an edit to my last post.

Those words "timed out" were used a number of times by the captain of the plane.  Having "dropped down" into Montego Bay for fuel (because the plane didn't have enough fuel to make it to Barbados) - he is stating that if we sit there on the runway waiting for "catering", the crew will be "timed out".

This whole thing is about costing Virgin money.  The passengers that have parted with their money (including some passengers that have parted with a lot more money, for upgrades)  for the flight, are not considered at all.  All that is important is that the crew are not "timed out"  which would involve Virgin sending out a new crew.

I quite often cut things a bit fine fuel wise whilst driving my car.  I really find it shocking that a supposedly reputable airline like Virgin, do exactly the same thing.

I might even suggest that if the plane didn't have enough fuel and "catering", it should never have left San Jose airport.

Edited by RompinDonkey

We also still have the unanswered question about those thousands of people standing outside the airport to watch the plane take off - hundreds of them standing on car roofs to get the best view.

Plane spotters?  Possible but unlikely I would think.  Costa Rica is a fairly poor country.  Thousands of people abandoning their jobs and self employment to see a Virgin 747 take off.?

And then of course Colombia closes their airspace to OUR flight.  Colombia didn't close it's airspace as the captain of our plane told us.  The second flight from this cruise flew through Colombian airspace with no problems.

Edited by RompinDonkey

This whole flight verges on the unbelievable.

When we eventually landed at Gatwick - the captain came across the address system with "Wow what a flight!"  he then goes on to thank his cabin crew for going "above and beyond" the usual call of duty!

Why was that?  There were no meals to serve.  Minimal water.  They had nothing to do?

I think that he really expected a huge round of applause for his cabin crew.  That did not happen.  Stoney  silence  .......

He had obviously forgotten the amount of times in Montego Bay that he stated that the whole situation was unacceptable.  He said that at least seven times.  It is just a pity that now that Virgin find nothing unacceptable about the situation at all.

Cruise Maritime are equally guilty.  Well more than guilty - they were the company that managed to arrange a cruise that involved two airports with inadequate length of runway,  to accommodate the aircraft being used.

Caveat Emptor!

Edited by RompinDonkey
9 hours ago, Cruise Madam said:

Hello Cruisers

We have heard back from C&M again (twice more as we try to contact different executives) with no joy. They are still hiding behind the small print that all itineraries are subject to amendment and they have the right to change scheduled ports of call. Be that as it may to treat passengers to such gruelling embarkation (a large number of passengers were elderly & some with walking difficulties) without any compensation awarded we can only  conclude that they do not care a jot about our opinions. Many points raised still not answered & brushed under the carpet. What shameful behaviour. All my husband & I wanted was some onboard credit as a way of any apology, not much to ask as in real terms it would'nt have cost the company much a small % & they might have even gained if passengers spent over their awarded credit. This should have been given to all passengers. 

Everybody needs to be treated fairly & respectfully.....we just feel sad having to complain but think it's necessary to speak up. Although this cruise was reasonably priced we should all expect a decent level of service & customer care. This cruise did not live up to the description on the tin!

As for the ongoing problems with the 1st flight out on the outbound flight keep the faith & keep plugging away.

I wish you all perseverance & sustained energy in your ongoing correspondence. 

Cruise Madam.

We had joined the cruise in London and were going on through the Panama canal.   We saw some of our new friends that we had made departing the cruise at Cosumel.  They had spent two hours (at least) standing in the sun, no awnings, waiting to board a small ferry (with all of their luggage). This is effectively  Mexico (it is hot).  In fact we had been out on an excursion that morning, and returned to the ship to see our friends in that queue.  For the age of some of those passengers, I would go so far as to say, that this could be a life threatening situation.

Whatever happened to our friends after they left Cosumel I have no idea.  But then we have the exact same situation (but in reverse), as 1,000 or more passengers come in.  Chaos simply does not describe the situation.  I think that  the early flight came in with minimal problems (apart from an unacceptable journey by coach and small ferry). The later flight was delayed, causing more problems. It must have been the early hours of the morning before all incoming passengers had completed their "paperwork" for immigration officials.

Come on guys - this simply shouldn't happen.  I spoke to people that had joined the cruise to see the Mayan ruins.  We saw them as we wern't involved in the Cosumel ***** up..  We met other people that wanted to see Belize - none of us saw that.  Then Nicaragua gets dropped from the cruise.

Cruise Maritime have a lot to do to "get their act together".

Not wishing to build  up people's hopes but -   a reversal of the flight upgrade charge is being considered by the credit card people.  They have asked for more details.

One thing is for sure.  I will never travel again with C&M.   We met so many people saying the same thing whilst on the cruise!  The main theatre always had seats "roped off" because of water leaking through the roof.  Industrial air blowers drying things out.  Outside the lifts, the same thing happening.  The ship leaks.

I will never forget that night in the theatre when the "band" had a free night to play (no dancers or singers).  One of the band in almost unintelligible English, explained that the band could play what they wanted to play.  We waited in our seats in anticipation.   What happened next was two hours of very progressive jazz.   Before we walked out, we must have seen at least fifty others do the same. I consider myself to be a music lover, and have a very broad range of music that I like, and can tolerate, but that was simply "over the top" even for me.  We had quite a meeting on deck ten, at the bar - people simply not understanding why, on the Megellan, he who pays the piper doesn't call call the tune. 

I also experienced the very strong smell of "fuel oil" along the corridor of deck seven, which pervaded our cabin.  I was informed that the reason for this was because "it is a very old ship".   I have to admit that our air conditioning performed faultlessly.  Many other passengers on deck seven were complaining that theirs wasn't working at all.  I try not to think what  the conditions were like on decks four and five ....  we were in the Caribbean Sea after all - it was a trifle warm.  

What on earth was going on in the Captain's Club?  We tended to use other places (the Hampton Bar).  There was a nice atmosphere going on there - a pianist and a violinst, they produced a really nice sound three times a night. 

The Captains Club.  Well I must admit that we did do the Bingo (twice), but other than that barely used the place.  "Mr and Mrs" isn't really our thing.  What on earth was going on with those two singers that performed every night, and never once got close to singing in tune?  We did walk past the Captains Club every night - we didn't have to sit in it to experience it.

It has occurred to me that maybe they are under financial pressure, which might explain their reluctance to offer valid recompense.

Edited by RompinDonkey
  • 3 weeks later...

Well it seems to be taking the credit card people a fair old while to reach their decision.

I don't know what can be taking them so long.  Cruise & Maritime sold a cruise that involved two airports.  Both of those airports had runways too short for the number of passengers/planes involved. Someone hadn't done their homework. Problems (to understate the matter) had to occur, and they did - at both airports (should we be surprised?)  This is a time for Cruise & Maritime to show their class and excellence.  But they don't - because they don't have any of those qualities.  They just blame Virgin Atlantic - who, in turn, blame Cruise & Maritime.

They haven't even provided a reason as to why the first flight was denied access to Colombian airspace.  That would have been quite a simple matter, I would have thought ....

Edited by RompinDonkey
On 4/16/2019 at 2:09 PM, Sailing Biggles said:

Maybe it was because, when the plane flew down it was a positioning flight and would have been registered as such to ATC. Flight no + p. It would have had a different no and no p on the flight out. Just a thought.

You may well have the answer there Biggles ....  the only problem being that I didn't understand it all ....

Can you expand a bit?

What I am suggesting is that someone at Virgin flight planning did not file the correct flight plan and hence it was denied access to certain air space. You cannot just fly all over the world without a clearance. Countries need to know who is coming in/out of their airspace. I think someone messed up at Virgin, and they should admit it or deny it.

On the first flight back on Jan 21st from Costa Rica, I understand that the passengers in the upstairs deck cabin, not to be confused with Upper Class, were given food whereas everyone else on the flights had no food all the way to London Gatwick. Does anyone know if this is correct? I was on the second flight back and we were served food after Barbados.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/22/2019 at 7:53 AM, Sailing Biggles said:

On the first flight back on Jan 21st from Costa Rica, I understand that the passengers in the upstairs deck cabin, not to be confused with Upper Class, were given food whereas everyone else on the flights had no food all the way to London Gatwick. Does anyone know if this is correct? I was on the second flight back and we were served food after Barbados.

I have no idea about "upper class", but there might have been some food that would have been handed out.  A small amount, and when it was gone it was gone.  We were in "Premium Economy" and we didn't have anything other than the cereal bar, and the nuts.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really cannot understand how CMV managed to underestimate the length of a runway TWICE, on a single cruise.

They got it wrong at Cozumel - causing Belize to be deleted from the cruise, and then AGAIN at San Jose.

CMV really are amateurs when it comes to planning a cruise.  They are in no way amateurs when it comes to charging the customers though.

• 4 weeks later...

Well it is looking likely that this whole thing is going to be "brushed under the carpet".

Complete failure from CMV.  No compensation offered.  Virgin airlines blame CMV.

Well if I was looking to book a good cruise - I wouldn't touch CMV with a very long barge pole.  Simply because they cannot do it.  They do not even know runway lengths for the air flight connections.

Do you like hot food on cold plates?  Do you like cold deserts on hot plates?  Do you like warm "chilled water"?

I would bet that you would rush to the restaurant for "pan fried snapper", or " pan fried perch", or pan fried sword fish" - they were available every night.  They may have been "pan fried" - but then they sat under the "lights"  They were not good at all.  The pasta dishes were not good.  We even had "Vegan Chile Con Carne" one night!  Work that one out!

Do you like "Mr and Mrs" as entertainment.  How about a bit of "Knit and Natter".  Yes that should fill the bill for everyone.

With a ship full of sixty and seventy year old people - I'm sure that you would love a "party" that was just  "Rapping" music played at ear splitting volume.  Oh. We did have an interval - it was "David" who interrupted the "party" and thought that it  would be nice that we had a bit of "Zumba" - also at ear splitting levels (and Rapping).

This company has no idea at all at how to entertain people over the age of fifty.

Pontins in the 1980's did a far better job!

Hello Cruisers

I have decided to write this post to draw a line under the C&M Central America & Panama Canal Discovery on the 10/01/19 for 10 nights fiasco cruise.

After numerous communications to C&M regarding many complaints (most left unanswered) the best compensation they could offer us was 15% off an ex-UK no fly cruise of up to 15 nights needed to be booked within a month or so & not to be disclosed to any other party. We asked for a refund as why on earth would we want to travel with C&M again?

A warning to prospective passengers …….. please do not consider C&V because if anything goes wrong forget any compensation of good will, they don't want to know!

On this occasion you get what you pay for, never to be repeated.

3 hours ago, Cruise Madam said:

Hello Cruisers

I have decided to write this post to draw a line under the C&M Central America & Panama Canal Discovery on the 10/01/19 for 10 nights fiasco cruise.

After numerous communications to C&M regarding many complaints (most left unanswered) the best compensation they could offer us was 15% off an ex-UK no fly cruise of up to 15 nights needed to be booked within a month or so & not to be disclosed to any other party. We asked for a refund as why on earth would we want to travel with C&M again?

A warning to prospective passengers …….. please do not consider C&V because if anything goes wrong forget any compensation of good will, they don't want to know!

On this occasion you get what you pay for, never to be repeated.

I couldn't agree more!

When we booked our cruise, we booked to include Belize - did we go to Belize?  No,

When we booked our cruise we booked to include Nicaragua - did we go to Nicaragua?  No.

They gave us an extra day in Cozumel, and an extra day in Costa Rica instead.  C&M just make it all up as they go along.

• 1 month later...

I went on a round the world cruise with CMV and we had the 39 stops as scheduled and regardless of weather conditions they always made it into port or stood off for tenders.  Luck of the game I suspect with this or any other cruise line.  I am sorry, though, for those who missed places they especially wanted to visit.  I would be very disappointed rather than annoyed though.

• 1 month later...
On 8/15/2019 at 3:43 PM, Beltonian said:

I went on a round the world cruise with CMV and we had the 39 stops as scheduled and regardless of weather conditions they always made it into port or stood off for tenders.  Luck of the game I suspect with this or any other cruise line.  I am sorry, though, for those who missed places they especially wanted to visit.  I would be very disappointed rather than annoyed though.

Our problem wasn't weather conditions.  Somebody didn't know the length of the runways!  Quite a different problem I would have thought.

• 2 months later...