Medallion Events on Board

Elsa Shores

There is usually a person or two wearing their medallions on a formal night. It's typically people with the higher level medallions. One gentleman who was a solo traveler told us that it's a good conversation starter. I suppose he's right, because we talked to him about it. 

WE were on the Koningsdam Oct. 18 to Nov. 8 and were invited and attended two Mariners Luncheons.  We wore proudly our 100 day medallion.  We are 4 star Mariners and unfortunately will never make it to the 300 day medallion, but we will keep trying.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, boards said:

WE were on the Koningsdam Oct. 18 to Nov. 8 and were invited and attended two Mariners Luncheons.  We wore proudly our 100 day medallion.  We are 4 star Mariners and unfortunately will never make it to the 300 day medallion, but we will keep trying.

I thought I would never get the 300 day medallion, particularly as a single, but I will receive it in February 6 years after receiving my 100 day medallion.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, richwmn said:

I thought I would never get the 300 day medallion, particularly as a single, but I will receive it in February 6 years after receiving my 100 day medallion.

Thank you for the encouragement, as I said we will keep trying.

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

There is usually a person or two wearing their medallions on a formal night. It's typically people with the higher level medallions. One gentleman who was a solo traveler told us that it's a good conversation starter. I suppose he's right, because we talked to him about it. 

There was a time when we saw people wear their medals on formal nights but not any more -- not even on our 21 day cruise.

On that 21 day cruise we had 4 President Club members who never wore any medals even to the awards ceremony.

I may be wrong but some people may feel the same way about medallions as they do about lanyards. 

9 hours ago, Boatdrill said:

Since the medallion doesn't mean much to you, may be you could give it back to HAL, and they can give it to someone else ? 

Oh no. That’s not happening. I don’t think HAL cares enough about getting them back!

12 minutes ago, ithaca gal said:

I may be wrong but some people may feel the same way about medallions as they do about lanyards. 

Oh no. That’s not happening. I don’t think HAL cares enough about getting them back!

HAL management is mad enough about not getting library books back, that they eliminated the ship libraries. 

Per recent NS report from Orlando himself. So you never know where they will want to save money next - recycled medallions should not be overlooked.

HAL Mariner pin going for nearly $15 on ebay:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holland-America-Cruise-Ship-Mariner-Society-25-Gold-Tone-Blue-Enamel-Pin/153179305804?hash=item23aa32b74c:g:tGkAAOSwU1hbmpC3:rk:15:pf:0

Edited by OlsSalt

Last month on the Koningsdam we were presented with silver medallions for over 300 days sailing on Hal. I stated to the Captain “Thanks for reminding us that we are on track to meeting our SKI goals.” Captain said “What are SKI goals?” I replied “ Spending Kids Inheritance.”  The Captain enjoyed that reply!😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

HAL management is mad enough about not getting library books back, that they eliminated the ship libraries. 

Per recent NS report from Orlando himself. So you never know where they will want to save money next - recycled medallions should not be overlooked.

HAL Mariner pin going for nearly $15 on ebay:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holland-America-Cruise-Ship-Mariner-Society-25-Gold-Tone-Blue-Enamel-Pin/153179305804?hash=item23aa32b74c:g:tGkAAOSwU1hbmpC3:rk:15:pf:0

Oh!  I just meant that we will not give them back. Heaven knows what we paid for them. I’d be happy to see the medallion program scrapped. I’d be willing to bet that most people would agree it’s meaningless and a waste of money. Not ALL would agree but my money is on the majority. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ithaca gal said:

Oh!  I just meant that we will not give them back. Heaven knows what we paid for them. I’d be happy to see the medallion program scrapped. I’d be willing to bet that most people would agree it’s meaningless and a waste of money. Not ALL would agree but my money is on the majority. 

I would say considering the size of the crowd attending the Medallion ceremonies, often having them in two events due to the expected numbers attending, they continue to be well received and enjoyed. Nothing forces anyone to attend. Just those who do like the event as well as cheering on those who do make it to the upper levels. They are fun, and pretty harmless.

Edited by OlsSalt

Oh it’s definitely harmless but the medallions are possibly a waste of money. Have the luncheon, make a fuss, but eliminate the medallions. Many attend for the free champagne!  Lol. And the tiles, of course. Keep the tiles, eliminate the heavy neckwear!

I’d like to see a “true survey” of who cares about getting a medallion. I’ve talked to some who throw them in a drawer at home and I’m sure there are lots like them. Personally, I’d rather get OBC that I can use!

13 minutes ago, ithaca gal said:

Oh it’s definitely harmless but the medallions are possibly a waste of money. Have the luncheon, make a fuss, but eliminate the medallions. Many attend for the free champagne!  Lol. And the tiles, of course. Keep the tiles, eliminate the heavy neckwear!

I’d like to see a “true survey” of who cares about getting a medallion. I’ve talked to some who throw them in a drawer at home and I’m sure there are lots like them. Personally, I’d rather get OBC that I can use!

Do you the same way about Oscars - those who win this useless chunk of metal should just toss them? We had such a good InDepth lecture on the the Maasdam Kontiki Explorer about the symbolic value of objects - what else could explain the moai of Easter Island. Yes, we can and do imbue inanimate objects with emotional content. As have they done for eons across the globe. It is not your thing, Okay, got it.

Edited by OlsSalt

Now that’s a bit of a stretch there .... medallions versus Oscars!  lol 

And one can be bought but the other can only be earned!  

The medallion program doesn’t “bother” me ..... I merely said I’m willing to bet that the majority of people don’t care about having that medallion and even fewer want to wear them after the presentation day.  If HAL needs a cost cutting measure, have at it!  

• Like 1

I think its the most brilliant marking ploy ever invented.  For very little cost, HAL incents people to sail with them to achieve the next medallion level.. Several on this thread have said it inspired them to cruise more or more with HAL.  All for the cost off some sparkling wine, a inexpensive medallion and lunch (you were getting a free lunch anyway).  Brilliant!!!    

9 hours ago, ithaca gal said:

Now that’s a bit of a stretch there .... medallions versus Oscars!  lol 

And one can be bought but the other can only be earned!  

The medallion program doesn’t “bother” me ..... I merely said I’m willing to bet that the majority of people don’t care about having that medallion and even fewer want to wear them after the presentation day.  If HAL needs a cost cutting measure, have at it!  

I have to confess...  I am not a junk collector so we threw ours in our cabin garbage can the same day we received it!  

The Canadians!😎

DH brings our Coppers along on every cruise in case we get an invite to the medallion ceremony ... but that has only happened once in the 8 years since we got them.  That time was on a Prinsendam cruise where it was held in the main showroom because there were so many people getting them, or eligible to attend. About 2/3 of the passengers were there I'd say.  We might wear them to a Mariner's lunch if we had silver or higher.

2wr0oco.jpg

Those people who really don't like the medallions, and those who think HAL could save some money by not presenting them, should be honest about it when they are due to receive one (or another one). They chould simply tell the Front Desk that they don't want to be recognized, and not have the medallion given to them at all. No need to take it off only to toss it in the trash, or in a drawer back home. Such waste.

They can go to the reception, and/or the lunch (if they want), just skip the medallion part.
Win-win.

• Like 1

Of course I wear my 100 days medallion to the Mariners reception.  It is the most expensive piece of jewelry I own.  It is attractive.  I received it on my first solo cruise after my DH died and my Voyage of the Spammed cruise partners made what could have been a very sad occasion a happy and memorable one.  That cruise helped me to be comfortable with continuing to cruise without DH and I'm closing in on my 300th day medal.  I hope I am never too blase' to celebrate the good things in life.  Yes, I also attend the luncheon because I often get to sit with well-traveled people who have interesting stories to tell about their adventures.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, taxmantoo said:

If the medallions are as useless and as cheap as a lot of people are saying, that would probably net you an OBC of $0.37.  Just saying ... :classic_rolleyes:

Is that in U.S. or Canadian dollars 😉 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Those people who really don't like the medallions, and those who think HAL could save some money by not presenting them, should be honest about it when they are due to receive one (or another one). They chould simply tell the Front Desk that they don't want to be recognized, and not have the medallion given to them at all. No need to take it off only to toss it in the trash, or in a drawer back home. Such waste.

They can go to the reception, and/or the lunch (if they want), just skip the medallion part.
Win-win.

Totally agree.  It is a totally harmless ceremony that a lot of people enjoy.  We do have medallions, we do enjoy seeing how happy some people are when they get theirs and we do attend the ceremonies when invited.  We do however skip the lunch and head straight to the Pinnacle Grill.  :classic_smile:  

Based on what I have read and seen, I cannot imagine HAL saving more that fifty cents by having someone decline a medallion.

Really, they are hardly the stuff of precious metals....notwithstanding the increase in the world price of copper.  Fortunately the world price of tin is fairly stable.

Mind you, with the threatened tariffs on imported goods from China, they may in fact increase in value.  Every so slightly.  I do agree with the OP...I think they would make nice Christmas tree ornaments.

Edited by iancal

47 minutes ago, the2ofus said:

Of course I wear my 100 days medallion to the Mariners reception.  It is the most expensive piece of jewelry I own.  It is attractive.  I received it on my first solo cruise after my DH died and my Voyage of the Spammed cruise partners made what could have been a very sad occasion a happy and memorable one. 

That was a fun surprise. Glad it's a good memory for you.

Wish all of us could be there again when you get the 300-day silver medallion.

• Thanks 1