Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
scdreamer

Insignia live - - Miami Cuba Miami

Recommended Posts

On 12/10/2018 at 7:17 AM, scdreamer said:

Agree about the lecturer ... he seems to know very little about Cuba other than the old cars in Havana. He spent a lot of time talking about some special hot sauce he found in Costa Rica and brought home. No information at all about the first two ports of call. Very lame.

 

Dinner in the GDR was a “fail” again tonight. Ordered the fish soup and it was so bad I asked for lemon wedges to try to improve it, but in the end had to refuse it. Smelled and tasted like old rotten fish.

 

Did you ask to speak to the Maitre'D  or  the Chef?

Why put up with  that

 

DH  mentioned  about the scones   & we  had a meeting with the Exec Chef

who told us  yes they had changed the recipe ... :classic_huh:

Why change something that was perfectly fine

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Did you ask to speak to the Maitre'D  or  the Chef?

Why put up with  that

 

DH  mentioned  about the scones   & we  had a meeting with the Exec Chef

who told us  yes they had changed the recipe ... :classic_huh:

Why change something that was perfectly fine

 

Why?   Perhaps cut an ingredient to save money?   That may be expected on NCL, but certainly not Oceania...:classic_unsure:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bob brown said:

Why?   Perhaps cut an ingredient to save money?   That may be expected on NCL, but certainly not Oceania...:classic_unsure:

exactly my point

People expect  quality food on Oceania  &  they changed  something in the  scone recipe  ...  not what we the pax  were used to with O

 

Mind you sometimes a change is for the better ..the cookies  were much better than in the past :classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

exactly my point

People expect  quality food on Oceania  &  they changed  something in the  scone recipe  ...  not what we the pax  were used to with O

 

Mind you sometimes a change is for the better ..the cookies  were much better than in the past :classic_smile:

Good...I'll take a good ole chocolate chip cookie, over a scone any day...:classic_wink::classic_smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

 

Mind you sometimes a change is for the better ..the cookies  were much better than in the past :classic_smile:

As long as we are talking about cookies - I would never put the food on Princess being anywhere near the food on Oceania - not even in the same universe - but the Princess cookies beat Oceania’s cookies by a country mile (esp. the chocolate chips)  :classic_biggrin:

It is really surprising, especially  in view of all the other Oceania baked goods being so superb (baguettes, croissants, etc, etc) - go figure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

I would never put the food on Princess being anywhere near the food on Oceania - not even in the same universe - but the Princess cookies beat Oceania’s cookies by a country mile (esp. the chocolate chips)  :classic_biggrin:

 

 

Princess pizza is the best too...better than Oceania. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Princess pizza is the best.  People stand in line to get it.  Fresh pies come out every few minutes.

 

Oceania has Cuban expert Sandy Cares contracted through 2020.  She is phenomenal.  Her presentations were outstanding and really prepared us for the four days we recently spent in Cuban ports.  Too bad she was not on the OPs trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Did you ask to speak to the Maitre'D  or  the Chef?

Why put up with  that

 

DH  mentioned  about the scones   & we  had a meeting with the Exec Chef

who told us  yes they had changed the recipe ... :classic_huh:

Why change something that was perfectly fine

 

 

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Did you ask to speak to the Maitre'D  or  the Chef?

Why put up with  that

 

DH  mentioned  about the scones   & we  had a meeting with the Exec Chef

who told us  yes they had changed the recipe ... :classic_huh:

Why change something that was perfectly fine

 

 

18 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Did you ask to speak to the Maitre'D  or  the Chef?

Why put up with  that

 

DH  mentioned  about the scones   & we  had a meeting with the Exec Chef

who told us  yes they had changed the recipe ... :classic_huh:

Why change something that was perfectly fine

 

We noticed the same thing about the scones. They were one reason we went to tea. Didn't like them at all. Will try again in March then perhaps talk to chef.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, DOJO466 said:

We noticed the same thing about the scones. They were one reason we went to tea. Didn't like them at all. Will try again in March then perhaps talk to chef.

They  were  not  very good   but  improved slightly after  speaking with the  Chef that was last Dec

This  summer they just OK 

they should bring back the old  recipe 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sammiedawg said:

Princess pizza is the best.  People stand in line to get it.  Fresh pies come out every few minutes.

 

Oceania has Cuban expert Sandy Cares contracted through 2020.  She is phenomenal.  Her presentations were outstanding and really prepared us for the four days we recently spent in Cuban ports.  Too bad she was not on the OPs trip. 

 

OP here ... we were on an Amazon and Caribbean cruise two years ago with Sandy as our lecturer, and, yes, she was phenomenal. The lecturer on this cruise is so far out of his depth it is unbelievable. He appears to have had no interest or background in any of the ports we are visiting. His main idea of Cuba is the old cars. He likes to waste a lot of time on talking about foods from other countries we are NOT visiting. 

 

Update on the service on the ship: Appears to be getting much better. It seems that the cruise started with a whole new crew who had not worked as a team before, and there was a lot of confusion. Most of the wait staff and cabin crew were clearly trying their best under the new and undeveloped supervision of higher ups. Things are going more smoothly now. 

 

I think what was frustrating for passengers was the the lack of concern by the reception staff. When we reported our phone not working for the third time, or the washing machine not functioning properly, there was an attitude of “so what.” Same when we observed others reporting lack of air conditioning in their cabins. Our phone is now working. It would have been a nice gesture had they offered us a single free laundry service to make up for the hour and a half we spent with our clothing locked in the washer with no detergent option coupled with having to dry the unwashed items. Instead they just pretty much said sorry, too bad, nothing we can do. A little thing, but it’s those little things that add up - good or bad. Any public relations professional knows this. 

 

On a better note, we had an absolutely fabulous dinner at Toscana last night. Staff was amazing, and the food was delicious. 

 

Beds are luxuriously comfortable, cabin staff is great, ships new decor is lovely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, scdreamer said:

I think what was frustrating for passengers was the the lack of concern by the reception staff. When we reported our phone not working for the third time, or the washing machine not functioning properly, there was an attitude of “so what.”

 

 

I’ve never experienced such an attitude from anyone during my seven O cruises but if I did I’d speak tactfully with the GM regarding the matter. Doing so provides valuable feedback to management and improves the product O offers. Also reduces frustration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always speak to the General Manager if there is a problem. That is his/her job. As for reception...post your concerns in the final cruise evaluation document. Get names...they do read these. I have issues with reception but most times they have been ok.

 

  Sorry this sailing had so many hiccups. They will most certainly be worked out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After reading these posts, I am surprised that Reception hasn't faced attitude adjustments. We live on Miami Beach, extremely close to Port of Miami. It is very clear to us that competition in cruising is really heating up. In addition to these posts, I recall those discussing cuts in O's loyalty program. Hmm. All this stuff makes me think. Having sailed on Celebrity  and Royal Caribbean in the past, we are being inundated with promotions for Edge and Symphony of the Seas. Our next cruise is on Riviera in March.  We chose it because a special occasion is right in the middle of it. I hope that cruise stays special in our minds

 

The sendoff for the Symphony was really spectacular. Fireworks will do it every time!

Mary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 days to get laundry back. Includes 2 calls to housekeeping. Best thing so far is Terrace and Toscana. Many people on these boards ask about Cuban cigars. Ran into the CD and mentioned maybe a short seminar about price and where to buy authentic. Basically blew me off.

Edited by rvmike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, rvmike said:

5 days to get laundry back. Includes 2 calls to housekeeping. Best thing so far is Terrace and Toscana. Many people on these boards ask about Cuban cigars. Ran into the CD and mentioned maybe a short seminar about price and where to buy authentic. Basically blew me off.

Check the Cuba  forum  good info there

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Been there and got good and bad info. Saw several posts that the cigars are fake in the terminal but the CD said that’s where he gets his. Will ask our private guide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are on this cruise, first time on Oceania, 30 other cruises. We are 100% pleased with every aspect. The ship is beautiful, everything in our cabin works beautifully, our laundry is returned within 3 days. Restaurants are all good, terrace cafe has grilled steak, lobster, shrimp available every evening. Always able to find a lounge chair, always staff available if you need something. No waiting on lines. There was an extended delay in the dining room one evening in the beginning of the cruise and they apologized for that , they were implementing use of iPads, so some learning curve , just that 1 time. A very pretty ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Emma said:

We are on this cruise, first time on Oceania, 30 other cruises. We are 100% pleased with every aspect. The ship is beautiful, everything in our cabin works beautifully, our laundry is returned within 3 days. Restaurants are all good, terrace cafe has grilled steak, lobster, shrimp available every evening. Always able to find a lounge chair, always staff available if you need something. No waiting on lines. There was an extended delay in the dining room one evening in the beginning of the cruise and they apologized for that , they were implementing use of iPads, so some learning curve , just that 1 time. A very pretty ship.

Thanks for a positive outlook. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, rvmike said:

Been there and got good and bad info. Saw several posts that the cigars are fake in the terminal but the CD said that’s where he gets his. Will ask our private guide.

 

There are legit rum and cigar stores where you can get quality items.  We went to one in Cienfuegos with out private guide and the store was beautiful and the sales people were very professional.  My son-in-law liked his rum and cigars that I took home to him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just returned from our Blexi  tour in Havana.Spent two hrs walking and the rest in a 56 Chevy, 6 hrs total . Stopped at many historic sites and had a quick lunch and a stop at a Cigar factory. Our guide was one of the owners and was great. Total price was 130 Cuc for 4 people. Ships price for similar tour but only 3.5 hrs was $479 per person. If you come us them, can’t go wrong.

Edited by rvmike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, rvmike said:

Just returned from our Blexi  tour in Havana.Spent two hrs walking and the rest in a 56 Chevy, 6 hrs total . Stopped at many historic sites and had a quick lunch and a stop at a Cigar factory. Our guide was one of the owners and was great. Total price was 130 Cuc for 4 people. Ships price for similar tour but only 3.5 hrs was $479 per person. If you come us them, can’t go wrong.

We have booked with Blexie in March. We have limited mobillity (very bad knees) and wondering if the 2 hours walking is all at once or spread out in intervals? I am sure we can tailor our tour to not too much walking.

  As for the cigars can you give me an idea as to brands/cost? We do not indulge but would like to bring some home for a friend. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance with Steve Dasseos of TripInsuranceStore.com
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...