exlandlubber

Violence in Paris

We are scheduled to go on a Tauck river cruise this spring that includes a hotel stay in Paris and two nights onboard in port. I’ve been watching the riots, the police actions and the American embassy warnings to keep a low profile and although I realize we’re still months away, I’m wondering if we would be better off changing our plans and postpone Paris since many of the highlights include the same major tourist attractions that are now closed and/or considered protest hot spots. I realize no one has a crystal ball but I would appreciate any opinions pro or con. Thank you.

We too will be in Paris early May. I think it is too far out to contemplate changing plans as much can occur over the next few months.

We are watching this too. 

Two things.  Trip insurance won’t pay for this kind of interruption. I know this, the cruise lines don’t want their personnel and tourist caught up in this so we are thinking that if things continue to be this bad or worsen, the cruise lines will figure out alternatives. That’s our hope anyway. 

A friend is flying home today from a Viking river cruise ending in Paris. He said it is currently Saturdays that are most at risk. There has been a few of the main tourist spots closed during the protests, but Viking simply planned other excursion outside of the main area and took care of their registered guests. Paris has done a pretty good job at quickly repairing any damage. My friends had a good time overall during the 3 days they explored the city.

Not Paris, but we were on the south coast of France last month while riots were going on. We made our call in Marseille but the cruise line delivered letters informing passengers about the ongoing sitiuation, provided additional safety information, and changed our “all aboard” time to an hour earlier than normal in order to give passengers extra time to get back on the ship since road blocks and protests were expected. Once in the Vieux Port area, police presence was very high. We saw 30-40 policemen along the main road. 

My wife asked one of them if he could give us more details about the situation, and he said that they were there to make sure that tourist attractions remained safe, but he recommended that we cut our day short and return to the ship because of the potential riots and road blocks. So we took an early taxi back to our ship, but sure enough, the roads had been blocked by protesters. Our driver started detouring, and every time we crossed paths with another taxi, he would flag them down and ask the other driver about road closures and ways to get back to the port. This got our blood pumping for a bit, wondering if we should’ve stayed on the ship that day, but we made it back with plenty of time.

I would keep an eye on the situation but not necessarily make changes just yet. Between now and your sailing, things could change dramatically. I’m pretty confident that Tauck will keep a close eye on the situation and adjust things as necessary. The last thing that they’d want is to place their passengers in potential danger. But even if they don’t make any changes, use your own common sense. Good luck!