The Ocean View Cafe: A Whole New World!

vtcruising

I didn't dare say much about the Ocean View Cafe, because people would think me crazy, but it is a great place to hang out between feeding frenzies. I was up there one afternoon for my free gelato and had a lovely time gazing at the sea while people chatted in comfortable chairs, others had tea and scones, some were grazing, one group was paying cards next to a gorgeous ocean view, others were sipping cocktails, some were reading and some were sitting at the cool counters that face the ocean, happily on their devices. I took my gelato outside to a comfortable chair next to the ocean and had a marvelous half hour of peace and contentment.

The OVC may be the place to be! It's still a buffet, but I am so impressed at how pretty and inviting it is!  It may be the new Sky Lounge (at least when it isn't meal time) as a great place to connect with the ocean, enjoy a tasty beverage and chill (and if you happen to get hungry, you are in the right place). 🙂

image.thumb.png.63dbdc79b535b2d6930371a48c824dff.png

image.thumb.png.000104b5edfc8438b00c2bb336b0dd2e.png

image.thumb.png.a38c69d5665a8e2dd1556e749321de0c.png

image.png.44be33ea8082e6e4c6d8750d5d10b5f4.png

image.thumb.png.2f21f0cc778b4c4b2a417d9885bf05d0.png

image.thumb.png.d0d45bad76699fa4712c52248ae410c5.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Why is free gelato such a big deal and why isn’t it just included like other desserts? Does everyone have to pay extra even suites? Also could not believe not standard to get bottled water when getting into port. I find this almost laughable 

38 minutes ago, hcat said:

Where do the steep outside stairs lead  to?

If I may jump in here...they go to the Sunset Bar and actually take you right into the smoking section (where you need to have your required cigarette in order to continue on to the bar :classic_biggrin:).

Edited by Mainah
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bajathree said:

Well that would be good news.....Hmmmmmmm....I didn't see it during the preview sailing....where was it located.

IIRC just up from the bread and dessert stations and diagonally across from the Indian Food station if that makes sense.

11 minutes ago, Mainah said:

If I may jump in here...they go to the Sunset Bar and actually take you right into the smoking section (where you need to have your required cigarette in order to continue on to the bar :classic_biggrin:).

Thanks...looks steep but might be a good shortcut..even for a non smoker!

26 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

Why is free gelato such a big deal and why isn’t it just included like other desserts? Does everyone have to pay extra even suites? Also could not believe not standard to get bottled water when getting into port. I find this almost laughable 

Don't find it laughable at all, some cruise lines you get certain things free, some you don't just corporate policy.  I remember one cruise line where you had to pay for Ice Cream on the ship and people were outraged.  It all basically evens out.  

• Like 3

I also enjoy OVC, as I can get exactly what I eat cooked to order, even though I am in a suite.  when there are a lot of things going on, it is nice to have anothr venue to get something when you do not want to spend an hour eating.  Plus, I really do enjoy getting my own food, except for dinner.  I am so please that the ceilings are higher, but the great layout is pretty much the same...I may go there when I board in April, as to not have to wait in Luminae...just me and how I look at things!  

Mainah...do not understand your comment either, but hey...you go for it!  Some people get one serving of free gelato based on Captain's Club level...

Edited by Lastdance
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Mainah said:

IIRC just up from the bread and dessert stations and diagonally across from the Indian Food station if that makes sense.

It was a walk up station where you pick everything out and they make it for you on like on S class?

51 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

Based on your signature, you’ve sailed many cruise lines. Why do you think it’s odd, or laughable, that each line is different? If you believe everything should be included in your base fare, perhaps Celebrity isn’t the line for you.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

I also enjoy OVC, as I can get exactly what I eat cooked to order, even though I am in a suite.  when there are a lot of things going on, it is nice to have anothr venue to get something when you do not want to spend an hour eating.  Plus, I really do enjoy getting my own food, except for dinner.  I am so please that the ceilings are higher, but the great layout is pretty much the same...I may go there when I board in April, as to not have to wait in Luminae...just me and how I look at things!  

Mainah...do not understand your comment either, but hey...you go for it!  Some people get one serving of free gelato based on Captain's Club level...

Same here, the buffet for the evening meal is not as crazy as it is for lunch and breakfast.  Lots of options, love the pasta station and the grill.  We usually try it at least once during the cruise. 

We had breakfast there a couple of times. Our favorite is the Eggs Benedict - the Mexican Benedict is really good. The fruit was much better than usual for this ship - it was perfectly ripe and fresh.

image.thumb.png.e34951b1df201f862dcf35e121d15f26.png

image.thumb.png.79f6f7ad87ff845f2ae451972824a0e6.png

image.thumb.png.9d44af3c8db0896bf965e99d2cabeae7.png

Tea Time:

image.png.452b956ebffa2e3ea08ea8f7855adf0d.png

Scones, cream and jam

image.thumb.png.bac9163a5ec7e86d459f25485d7ebaa2.png

image.thumb.png.490615da1a16c37ec0202eabb9b6fa05.png

image.thumb.png.fa423f1fce0efc2ee3b81915b4ca258c.png

Salad Bar:

image.png.29ce4fba2e21265fc111b2150af398c3.png

image.png.5c4fe62d3146db0ec359e45740664231.png

Edited by vtcruising
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bajathree said:

It was a walk up station where you pick everything out and they make it for you on like on S class?

Yes....my partner loved it and thought it was very good...I mostly ate the food from the Indian Food station and thought it was very good also.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

I started hearing things from the reviews. I saw the size of the rooms and knew the space was very small.

At the time no one knew much about the sunset verandas yet. Then I saw photos of the tub/shower combination and the placement of the furniture and the overall size. I knew this would not work.  I love breakfast in my room or on the veranda and it seemed like that was not going to be comfortable. Then I learned there was NOWHERE to see the sail in to a new port except for those in Suites. I had no idea at the time there was such a discrimination between "suite" passengers and how they were segregated from the rest of the ship when it  came to services. I was very disillusioned and I posted that even on ships like Seabourn, Regent and Crystal there is no discrimination like that. Every area was accessible to anyone booked on the ship. Forget about the concierge or executive lounges which are just little service rooms with additional sodas, coffee and a few snacks and perhaps use of a printer - that isn't like a whole deck of a ship that is off limits

It was too late to cancel since it was paid in full because close to sailing. It was an impulse decision because of the hype about the new ship. I sailed Celebrity only once before over 10 years ago.   So I decided to just go all out and chalk it up to experience. I spent far less than this last year on pretty much the same itinerary on Oceania Rivieira in a penthouse suite with the O life perks and almost what I spent on an even longer Seabourn in October. And ice cream and water are freely available no added charges for anything.  

17 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

It was too late to cancel since it was paid in full because close to sailing. It was an impulse decision because of the hype about the new ship. I sailed Celebrity only once before over 10 years ago.   So I decided to just go all out and chalk it up to experience. I spent far less than this last year on pretty much the same itinerary on Oceania Rivieira in a penthouse suite with the O life perks and almost what I spent on an even longer Seabourn in October. And ice cream and water are freely available no added charges for anything.  

Ice cream is free on Celebrity, it's just gelato that is not. Water is included with the drink package, which can be included with most cabins oveanview or higher.

Edge is extremely expensive now, especially for suites. I certainly wouldn't book it at the current prices.

Thank you. I just don't want to come off like I think I am better than anyone else. The reason we decided to take a Caribbean cruise was to take our son and his girlfriend since my husband had a lot of serious health issues this year and my son was such a help during those difficult times spending many nights in the hospital room. He is 31 so i knew he would not like our normal cruise lines. I happened upon the Celebrity ads about the Edge so I thought it would be something we all could enjoy. It took a long time to get to this point in our cruising life. My husband only retired when he had to for health reasons and was 77 before he finally retired, so now I just feel like we don't have much time to still be able to do these things and if we are going to go, we will do it the right way.  He was a workaholic and for us to take even a long weekend was very rare.  My motto now is you can't take it with you. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kkmiausa said:

Thank you. I just don't want to come off like I think I am better than anyone else. The reason we decided to take a Caribbean cruise was to take our son and his girlfriend since my husband had a lot of serious health issues this year and my son was such a help during those difficult times spending many nights in the hospital room. He is 31 so i knew he would not like our normal cruise lines. I happened upon the Celebrity ads about the Edge so I thought it would be something we all could enjoy. It took a long time to get to this point in our cruising life. My husband only retired when he had to for health reasons and was 77 before he finally retired, so now I just feel like we don't have much time to still be able to do these things and if we are going to go, we will do it the right way.  He was a workaholic and for us to take even a long weekend was very rare.  My motto now is you can't take it with you. 

Sorry to hear about your DH's health issues and glad to hear how wonderful your son is in assisting you through a difficult time...

Net-Net, I think you will enjoy yourself despite a few challenges. You may be surprised once aboard that the items of current concern, may be non-issues overall.

I look forward to your impressions and review upon return.

bon voyage

Ocean View looks like a step up on EDGE...lots of choices for food and seating and nice ocean views!  They  have waffles..not available in BLU

We may have our afternoon tea and coffee break here. .,, at segundo baccio...Looks like a nice place to relax,