MSC Status match for existing Voyager Club members

tomservo

Quick question - was wondering if anyone knew if MSC would do a status match for existing Voyager Club members. Was thinking about taking an MSC cruise in 2020, but I don't have anything to match right now that would give me MSC Black status. I might have Platinum on NCL after that, but I was wondering if they would give me a status match after I've already been on one of their cruises.

On a side note - I'm relatively new to cruising, and was wondering what was the fastest way to get something that will match to MSC Black. I don't have any of the high end hotel/credit cards to use to match, so I was thinking if I cruise NCL and get 2-3 points per night (Haven and/or Latitudes Rewards Insider Offers), I should be able to get there with 3-5 more 7 day cruises. Is there a quick way to RCL Diamond, or is it the same with NCL?

Edited by tomservo
Incorrect info about Diamond Plus

22 minutes ago, tomservo said:

Quick question - was wondering if anyone knew if MSC would do a status match for existing Voyager Club members. Was thinking about taking an MSC cruise in 2020, but I don't have anything to match right now that would give me MSC Black status. I might have Platinum on NCL after that, but I was wondering if they would give me a status match after I've already been on one of their cruises.

Can't comment on Voyager Club but there have been several threads saying MSC are now matching NCL Platinum to gold, it appears they are not handing out black so freely now.

1 hour ago, kodesthemoose said:

I believe you can only do status match before you cruise for the first time.

This is not the case, or at least was not when I did status match. I was silver on MSC, had 3 cruises with them, when I did a status match with my NCL Platinum which brought me to MSC black.

• Like 1

So let's say they match you to Gold. Do you then start at the Gold minimum points-wise, i.e. 4300 points?

Also I once saw a PDF with a list of everything they matched along with mappings for what matched to what, but I cannot find it anywhere. Has anyone see it?

2 minutes ago, tomservo said:

So let's say they match you to Gold. Do you then start at the Gold minimum points-wise, i.e. 4300 points?

Also I once saw a PDF with a list of everything they matched along with mappings for what matched to what, but I cannot find it anywhere. Has anyone see it?

You are correct, you start at the lower end of the level you are assigned.

I think I saw a list a long time ago, but as the matching appears to have been reduced from October 2018 I don't think it will help to search for it.

16 hours ago, tomservo said:

The most up to date chart of what benefits map to each level is best found on the MSC site.  The link is below.  Scroll down to the privileges section at the bottom.

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/MSC-Voyagers-Club/Voyagers-Club.aspx

On 12/10/2018 at 4:49 PM, tomservo said:

I think this is what you are in reference to, it is now supposedly obsolete.

MSC_Cruises-Status_Match_Programma-Reisaanbieders.pdf

7 minutes ago, Stockjock said:

As an FYI, Marriott Gold matches to MSC Silver rather than MSC Gold, as shown.

That's interesting, maybe they have not only reduced the black to gold, maybe all levels down one click.

I just submitted my status match. They list has Club Carlson gold matching to Gold. I hope this is the case even though Club Carlson is now Radisson Rewards.

I find it odd that my club Carlson gold will match to gold, but my IHG platinum only matches to silver. Let's see what happens.

So if they have already given me "black card" status, I will retain that, even if my first booked cruise is not until October of 2019?

I believe that's the case, as I still see it in my profile, but wanted to be sure that they don't 'downgrade me'....

From their website (which matches what we were told):

MSC Voyagers Club membership is valid for three years and subject to a minimum of one cruise every three years. If the last cruise disembarkation date is over 3 years or no cruise has been completed in 3 years after the enrollment date, membership will expire.

As long as your black card status was given within 3 years of October 2019 you will keep the black status.  You just have to take at least one cruise every 3 years to maintain your status.

• Thanks 1

On 12/10/2018 at 8:35 PM, tomservo said:

They will only honor a match request if it is before the first cruise.

14 hours ago, kevinrobedm said:

From their website (which matches what we were told):

MSC Voyagers Club membership is valid for three years and subject to a minimum of one cruise every three years. If the last cruise disembarkation date is over 3 years or no cruise has been completed in 3 years after the enrollment date, membership will expire.

As long as your black card status was given within 3 years of October 2019 you will keep the black status.  You just have to take at least one cruise every 3 years to maintain your status.

Thanks...glad I jumped on the offer, "in time"....:classic_cool:

Must have been "too successful", that they have downgraded it....

I believe they are only matching the top tiers of a few cruise lines, like Pinnacle and Ambassador levels.  I imagine those folks would be hesitant to leave their much-preferred cruise lines. 

Keep an eye on your status match levels and be sure to print out a copy of the letter stating it was issued.  Things like that sometimes "Fall Off" MSC bookings- that's the term MSC uses.

5 hours ago, Markanddonna said:

I believe they are only matching the top tiers of a few cruise lines, like Pinnacle and Ambassador levels.  I imagine those folks would be hesitant to leave their much-preferred cruise lines. 

Keep an eye on your status match levels and be sure to print out a copy of the letter stating it was issued.  Things like that sometimes "Fall Off" MSC bookings- that's the term MSC uses.

Good advice...I kept the letter in my email box:classic_wink: