Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Paula B

Hotels near HOU (hobby) airport??

Recommended Posts

We have never sailed Royal Caribbean out of Galveston. We are flying in the night before and could not get a pre-cruise package from them out of HOU.

So we will be needing to find a hotel to stay Saturday night and go back to the airport the next morning to get our transfer to the ship. Like I said we do not

know the area and will becoming in around 8pm and just looking for a descent place to stay with our grandkids.

Thank you all in advance,

Paula B

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The airport isn't in the greatest area (understatement). There are all of the usual suspects in the area,  just do a search on Priceline or whatever site you like. I'm not sure one is any better than the other. Most have transportation between the airport and the hotel. Might consider one with a restaurant as there's not much in the area but the usual fast food places.

Edited by Texas Tillie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest that you stay in the Clear Lake area. Much nicer neighborhood than around Hobby airport. There is also the Johnson Space Center to visit if you have the time.

 

Steven

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, stevendom57 said:

I would suggest that you stay in the Clear Lake area. Much nicer neighborhood than around Hobby airport. There is also the Johnson Space Center to visit if you have the time.

 

Steven

 

They want to use the Royal Caribbean transfer the next morning. Getting to the NASA area and then to the port would probably be much more $$$ than staying in the Hobby area and taking the ship's transfer. They aren't getting in until 8 PM, so wouldn't be able to do anything at NASA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the area surrounding Hobby isn't that great. Stick with a major hotel chain and it will be sufficient. Not great, but sufficient. This is not an area where you walk to your destination.

 

Some restaurants in the area that I would recommend are:

Captain Benny's Seafood

8253 Gulf Fwy, Houston, TX 77017

 

Dot Coffee Shop (has full diner menu)

7006 I-45 S. at Woodridge, Houston, TX 77087

 

Pappas BBQ

7050 I-45, Houston, TX 77087

 

Doneraki (Tex Mex)

300 Gulfgate Center Mall, Houston, TX 77087

 

Boudreaux's Seafood Kitchen

100 Gulfgate Center Mall, Houston, TX 77087

 

I've been to all of these personally and feel safe. Just don't do stupid things like flash a bunch of cash or leave your car unlocked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aknguyen said:

Yeah, the area surrounding Hobby isn't that great. Stick with a major hotel chain and it will be sufficient. Not great, but sufficient. This is not an area where you walk to your destination.

 

Some restaurants in the area that I would recommend are:

Captain Benny's Seafood

8253 Gulf Fwy, Houston, TX 77017

 

Dot Coffee Shop (has full diner menu)

7006 I-45 S. at Woodridge, Houston, TX 77087

 

Pappas BBQ

7050 I-45, Houston, TX 77087

 

Doneraki (Tex Mex)

300 Gulfgate Center Mall, Houston, TX 77087

 

Boudreaux's Seafood Kitchen

100 Gulfgate Center Mall, Houston, TX 77087

 

I've been to all of these personally and feel safe. Just don't do stupid things like flash a bunch of cash or leave your car unlocked.

 

A good list of places to eat, but the OP isn't going to have a car. That's why I recommended staying someplace with a restaurant. Use the hotel's airport service to and from the hotel and take Royal Caribbean's transfer from the airport to Galveston. Also, they aren't getting in until 8 PM with grandchildren.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just giving options in the event they decide to get an Uber or something. If they get there and find they don't like the restaurant in the hotel it will be a bit late to start looking. Didn't mean to offend...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really apricate all the information. I've been doing some searching and I was looking at Doubletree by Hilton that is about half a mile from Hobby airport since they have shuttle pick up. They say their is a couple restaurant there and they also have a place to eat breakfast  but, I was going to call to see how late they are open since it will be late. We also have a 13 and 16 year old with us and sometime they are picky. Do you advise us to stay at the hotel or is there something close that maybe safe to walk too. If all else fails we can order pizza.

Thank you in advance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, aknguyen said:

Just giving options in the event they decide to get an Uber or something. If they get there and find they don't like the restaurant in the hotel it will be a bit late to start looking. Didn't mean to offend...

 

Not offended. The info might be good for someone with a car that reads this. You are hardly the first person that answers a question that isn't asked!! :classic_biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paula B said:

I really apricate all the information. I've been doing some searching and I was looking at Doubletree by Hilton that is about half a mile from Hobby airport since they have shuttle pick up. They say their is a couple restaurant there and they also have a place to eat breakfast  but, I was going to call to see how late they are open since it will be late. We also have a 13 and 16 year old with us and sometime they are picky. Do you advise us to stay at the hotel or is there something close that maybe safe to walk too. If all else fails we can order pizza.

Thank you in advance.

 

I don't know about that Doubletree (I live in Houston, so don't need hotels), but I've always found the Doubletrees to be OK. I looked on the google map and the only place I saw that I would walk from the hotel there is a Jack-in-the Box across a side street. There might be other places that aren't on the google map. As you say, there's always pizza!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the hotels website.

  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Hobby Airport, TX - Sundance Lounge

    Sundance Lounge

     

    Dressed stone walls, a fireplace and juke box make this lounge an exciting choice for afternoon or evening cocktails, specialty beers or wines. Complimentary hors d'oeuvres are served Monday through Friday from 4-7pm.

     

    HOURS

    MONDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
    TUESDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
    WEDNESDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
    THURSDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
    FRIDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
    SATURDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
    SUNDAY 2:00 pm - 12:00 am
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Hobby Airport, TX - Dinner Tables

    The Boardwalk

    Skylights and fountains create a memorable atmosphere. Full dinner menu . Tuesday night Prime rib buffet.

     
    HOURS
    MONDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    TUESDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    WEDNESDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    THURSDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    FRIDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    SATURDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    SUNDAY 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
  • DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Hobby Airport, TX - The Landing

    The Landing

    Casual dining. Daily full American breakfast and lunch buffets are featured in addition to the ala carte menu. Monday-Friday we offer lunch buffet that includes soup, salad, 2 hot entrees, sides, dessert.

     
    HOURS
    MONDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
    TUESDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
    WEDNESDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
    THURSDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
    FRIDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
    SATURDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm
    SUNDAY 6:00 am - 2:00 pm

     

    And looking at the map there does not appear to much of a variety within walking distance like Texas Tillie stated above.

    blob.png.5b219a1dca272b2b90a34e5ab31633c7.png 

Edited by SciFiGuy1960

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Answering only the question asked: I agree with the others that you aren't going to want to walk anywhere around the hotel.

Offering another option: Eat inside the airport before you leave. There are lots of options to cover picky eaters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone for the information it is very useful. I went a head and booked the Doubletree by Hilton. It's just one night and we will probably eat at one of the restaurants in the hotel or order pizza in since it will be so late. Usually I have things planned better but, it was a last minute decision to take a cruise with the kids on spring break. I really appreciate all of your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend the Drury Inn. Free shuttle or $10 cab which, with a receipt, they will reimburse. Free dinner and 3 free drinks. Not great food but usually a good salad and some sort of entree. Enough to be satisfied with. Also free popcorn.  Cheaper than some others mentioned. Free shuttle back to airport in the AM to get the RCI shuttle. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely do not walk anywhere if you stay close to the airport.  Drury  does get you a bit closer to Galveston. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 4:41 PM, 39august said:

I recommend the Drury Inn. Free shuttle or $10 cab which, with a receipt, they will reimburse. Free dinner and 3 free drinks. Not great food but usually a good salad and some sort of entree. Enough to be satisfied with. Also free popcorn.  Cheaper than some others mentioned. Free shuttle back to airport in the AM to get the RCI shuttle. 

Where is this Drury Inn hotel. I pull it up and there is more then one. Is it in league City

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, miss tea said:

Where is this Drury Inn hotel. I pull it up and there is more then one. Is it in league City

 

The Drury by Hobby is at 7902 Mosley Rd, 713-941-4300

 

League City is in Galveston County at least half way from Hobby to the port in Galveston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This hotel is very close to Hobby.  We have stayed there several times and have not been disappointed.

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Houston Hobby Airport
8181 Airport Boulevard, Houston, TX 77061
T:  1 713-645-3000
imp_H_2400033_478674632_433274653.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We stay at Double tree last weekend it was nice with the restaurants there. We were very happy ☺

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...