Last sailed on HAL in 2011 - help me manage my expectations

TrakHack

I last sailed on HAL in 2011 on the Ryndam, a western Caribbean cruise of 7 nights.  It was my first cruise (went with my mom and a group of her friends), and while I wasn't sure if I would like cruising, I did, and considered myself a fan of HAL.

Since then, I've done short cruises on Azamara, but that's it.  Their ships are relatively smaller, and we like the time in port.  We also love the main dining room experience: the gracious service, outstanding food, and the leisurely two hours we took each evening from being seated to departing the dining room. 

Next month, I'll be on the Königsdam for 11 days, celebrating my mom's 70th birthday.  I booked a verandah room aft on the 4th deck for the huge outside space.  My husband and I love our verandah time...  We have early dining with my mom's group, and have purchased the Quench beverage package (I like a variety of non-alcoholic drinks, my husband knows he'll be purchasing any alcohol he wants).

My question around expectations is mainly around the new class of ship.  I want to go in with a positive mindset of focusing on what is different and great, rather than focusing on what is different and "worse / less than".  In addition to the ship differences, I don't know how HAL have evolved over the past eight years and how the guest experience has changed.

So, I ask for your help.  Beyond going in with an attitude of "we're here to enjoy 11 days of sun and a break from work & school", are there any tips or recommendations you have?

Thank you very much for your help!

The food in the dining room is still very good but there ate specialty restaurants.  There is no more dessert extravaganza.  The Koningsdam is twice as big as the Ryndam.  I would not want to travel on the two remaining S class ships.I hope you have a nice cruise on the Koningsdam.

There are a lot of youtube videos on the KDam so I would watch them.  The Kdam imo is nothing like the other HAL traditional ships as it is more modern.    We were aware of this before we got on.   Hope you have a great trip

I'd be more concerned about comparing HAL to Azamara than comparing old Hal to new Hal - I think you will do fine since this is a very different new ship experience in the first place. But my impression is Azamara is more refined and intimate. The size and numbers of passengers would be the biggest shock value I suspect. But with a nice cabin, a group of fellow travelers and reason for a special celebration I think you will have a very good  time.

For us, the benefits of price alone makes up for any difference with a more high end cruise experience - we get  to do twice to  three times the crusing on HAl with very little compromise in any of the basics - room and board primarily along with excellent itineraries and those special HAL crew people.  So with that in mind too, have a wonderful time and hope you fall back into the very warm and comfortable  embrace  that HAL so often offers even if there are not all the bells and whistles.

• Haha 1

The Koningsdam has a LOT of dining options.  some have a surcharge and some don't.

I don't think the Dive In was around in 2011 and many enjoy it.

Tamarind is a favourite specialty restaurant of many as is the Grand Dutch Cafe.

The Pinnacle Class is different from the other HAL ships and classes and has been quite popular with many people.

Hope you enjoy it and have a great cruise 🙂 

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Just pre plan a specialty restaurant where you can go to celebrate your mother's birthday.  Book it ahead -- we really like the Tamarind restaurant -- JMO.

Lots of new entertainment -- BB King's, Rolling Stone Rock Room, Lincoln Center State, Billboard Onboard, just to name a few.

9 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

For us, the benefits of price alone makes up for any difference with a more high end cruise experience - we get  to do twice to  three times the crusing on HAl with very little compromise in any of the basics - room and board primarily along with excellent itineraries and those special HAL crew people.  So with that in mind too, have a wonderful time and hope you fall back into the very warm and comfortable  embrace  that HAL so often offers even if there are not all the bells and whistles.

Well said!   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We've sailed on Oosterdam, Westerdam, Eurodam and Konigsdam - all larger than Ryndam. We're early 60's. Our last cruise was out of Amsterdam on K'dam to Norway. We loved it. Do try the Tamarind. If you enjoyed doing walking (or running) loops on Ryndam, many have opined that the promenade on K'dam's deck 3 can be constricted in places. Although we used to love doing laps - DW's mobility issues prevented doing so the last couple of times out. Some complain about the angled toilet - I'm 5'-11" and I don't see the problem. Although it was the newest in the fleet, I believe K'dam has just come out of its first dry dock. There were going to be some changes. 

Our first HAL cruise was on Eurdam in 2011.  Since then we have been on Westerdam, Oosterdam, Zuiderdam, Rotterdam and Koningsdam.  We have been on Koningsdam twice this year.  We love the ship, there is so much to do.  Food is good and there are many choices.  We have another two cruises booked for next year on her.  You will enjoy it.  No special mindset necessary, just enjoy.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for your replies - I'm getting excited for the trip!  I will confirm what night of the trip would be best to book, and will likely do Tamarind.  Is the new sushi restaurant part of Tamarind, or something separate?

21 hours ago, Himself said:

The food in the dining room is still very good but there ate specialty restaurants.  There is no more dessert extravaganza.  The Koningsdam is twice as big as the Ryndam.  I would not want to travel on the two remaining S class ships. I hope you have a nice cruise on the Koningsdam.

@Himself, could you elaborate on why you would not want to travel on the two remaining S class ships?  I read the recent thread on the Veendam, and am wondering if there are specific concerns beyond the things mentioned there.  

18 hours ago, OlsSalt said:

I'd be more concerned about comparing HAL to Azamara than comparing old Hal to new Hal - I think you will do fine since this is a very different new ship experience in the first place. But my impression is Azamara is more refined and intimate. The size and numbers of passengers would be the biggest shock value I suspect. But with a nice cabin, a group of fellow travelers and reason for a special celebration I think you will have a very good  time.

@OlsSalt, thank you for this thought.  I am expecting to like our HAL cruise as much as I like the Azamara cruises.  We would like to take our inlaws on an Alaskan cruise, and unless my husband really doesn't like a larger ship, I think HAL will be the way to go.