“Returning” a gift given to us

1964IceCreamLady

My sister very sweetly gave my husband and I a Signature Dining Package as a Christmas gift.

While I would love to indulge, we are traveling with my 3 teens which means we either ditch them to dine alone two nights (which means no MDR dinner for them) or buy seats for them to join us.  Neither of those options seem palatable to us.  This is a Family Vacation, and I really want to eat with them in the MDR.

Has as anyone ever “returned” a gift for OBC?  

19 minutes ago, Essiesmom said:

How old are the teens?  Are they well behaved?  If so,  is there reason they couldn't dine alone in the MDR.  EM

18, 16, 13.  They could I just think they wouldn’t.  I think they would prefer room service, TBH!  :classic_biggrin:  I should have not phrased it like I did.  want us to dress smartly and eat together every night in a nice restaurant.  The ability to do that is a huge benefit to cruising for me.  

(And my kids are amazingly sweet and polite.  However, from some of the posts here on CC, I know some HAL customers get nervous by anyone under 25 years old.   Can you imagine a 3 top of TEENS?! 😂 [joking, people!!])

Thanks for responses!  I am fairly certain HAL will accommodate.  I just didn’t know if someone had experience with this particular situation.  I will add post giving update upon our return.

Edited by 1964IceCreamLady

It might happen your teens may make friends with other teens onboard and they could join them for dinner or with their families on nights you might want to use your specialty dining.  So how about an 8-top full of teens? :classic_ninja: 

Never too early or late to learn good restaurant table manners and polite conduct. Always thought they should offer dining etiquette classes for teens onboard -what better setting than the subdued formality of the main dining room. 

1 minute ago, OlsSalt said:

It might happen your teens may make friends with other teens onboard and they could join them for dinner or with their families on nights you might want to use your specialty dining.  So how about an 8-top full of teens? :classic_ninja: 

Never too early or late to learn good restaurant table manners and polite conduct. Always thought they should offer dining etiquette classes for teens onboard -what better setting than the subdued formality of the main dining room. 

Hmmmm...I had not considered that option.  They made GREAT friends in Alaska.  Yes- can you imagine a TABLE of TEENS?! Think of the stink eyes and heart palpitations that could cause! 😂. Worse than 6 in a pool! 

I am considering asking for a dinner for 5 at Cannaleto/Tamarind/Nami Sushi instead.  Of course if converted to OBC how I spend it is up to us.  We will see!  I hate to un-gift.  I’d like to honor the spirit of the gift. 

Yes, an etiquette class would be interesting.  That would be a HARD sell, though!  Pretty sure my kids would be a pass.  I think the last thing they want on vacation is a class. 😜  I, on the other hand, love cruising FOR the class opportunities.  My parents were avid cruisers on Harvard-sponsored cruises where the whole cruise was a series of lectures.  I think the HAL EXC is going in that direction.  👍

2 minutes ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

Hmmmm...I had not considered that option.  They made GREAT friends in Alaska.  Yes- can you imagine a TABLE of TEENS?! Think of the stink eyes and heart palpitations that could cause! 😂. Worse than 6 in a pool! 

I am considering asking for a dinner for 5 at Cannaleto/Tamarind/Nami Sushi instead.  Of course if converted to OBC how I spend it is up to us.  We will see!  I hate to un-gift.  I’d like to honor the spirit of the gift. 

Yes, an etiquette class would be interesting.  That would be a HARD sell, though!  Pretty sure my kids would be a pass.  I think the last thing they want on vacation is a class. 😜  I, on the other hand, love cruising FOR the class opportunities.  My parents were avid cruisers on Harvard-sponsored cruises where the whole cruise was a series of lectures.  I think the HAL EXC is going in that direction.  👍

The HAL "InDepth EXC" on the Maasdam is very much full lecture enrichment option now - did their maiden voyage and we thought it was a huge success.They had lectures in about 5 different categories and one could go to one or all of their own special interests: history and perspective, arts and culture, photography, wildlife, geology etc.  We even had lectures for evening entertainment in the Show Lounge and some had to be repeated since they overwhelmed the show room seating. 

Just now, OlsSalt said:

The HAL "InDepth EXC" on the Maasdam is very much full lecture enrichment option now - did their maiden voyage and we thought it was a huge success.They had lectures in about 5 different categories and one could go to one or all of their own special interests: history and perspective, arts and culture, photography, wildlife, geology etc.  We even had lectures for evening entertainment in the Show Lounge and some had to be repeated since they overwhelmed the show room seating. 

Yes, I read the various reports (yours!) and thought it sounded FANTASTIC.  Right up my alley.  I personally would prefer a lecture than a dance show.  But that’s me.  My parents’ Harvard cruises were *prohibitively* expensive.  

Wouldn’t it be interesting if HAL teamed up with a university, much like their Microsoft, Oprah, and Cooks Illustrated partnerships, and marketed that?  Hmmm...another thread, another day.  

Our sons ate in the MDR once by themselves when my wife and I were at the Pinnacle Grill from an Explore 4.  They were probably 17/15 at the time.  They said they didn't like it and felt weird about it; but they are a bit shy in a public setting like that.  Maybe your kids would do fine and 3 people at a table is more than 2 so it might feel less awkward.  Since then, they eat in our suite with room service when my wife and I go to a specialty restaurant once a cruise. 

Here's an interesting story when we were on another cruise line.  My wife and I had the top-level suite on the ship, but unlike the Pinnacle Suites on HAL that sleep 4, this one only slept two, so we got our sons an interior room down the hall to sleep, but they spent all the days in our huge suite.  When my wife and I went to a specialty restaurant one night, our sons ordered room service to eat at the dining room table in our suite.  When the butler arrived with the food, he wasn't thrilled to see it was for just our sons and not for my wife and I.  This is despite the fact he saw all four of us in the suite all the time and delivered lunch for the four of us several times in our suite.  I guess he thought he shouldn't have to serve people who weren't paying for the top suite and didn't have a butler for their room.  Oh well. 

If you pick embarkation night, you may be able to get a discount for your teens.    Also, I'd check into using Canelloto (or whatever it's called).  It's cheaper.  So maybe w/ the discount and the cheaper cover  charge you may be able to afford it.  I think Canelloto is also family style. 

Also, check w/ your waiter in the MDR.  He may be able to assure you they'll be well taken care of.

We went w/ my parents and my sister with her two boys on a cruise w/ Holland America, and one of he boys would gobble his meal and hurry off for fun w/ others his age.  The 18-year-old wanted to hang around us.

If you're 3 star, you should be able to get the 25% discount off specialty.

Also, check if you can use your gift reservation at lunch.  Lunch in Pinnacle is cheaper than dinner.  We usually eat in Pinnacle at lunch for that reason.  $35 per person sounds way too expensive for us.

49 minutes ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

Yes, I read the various reports (yours!) and thought it sounded FANTASTIC.  Right up my alley.  I personally would prefer a lecture than a dance show.  But that’s me.  My parents’ Harvard cruises were *prohibitively* expensive.  

Wouldn’t it be interesting if HAL teamed up with a university, much like their Microsoft, Oprah, and Cooks Illustrated partnerships, and marketed that?  Hmmm...another thread, another day.  

Elderhostel  (Exploritas or whatever) or Semester at Sea are good models too. It is a winning program and much more accessible financially. Just google the Maadam cruises and at this point they are all InDepth. I hope there is sufficient support for this option to continue - perfect use for the smaller, older Maasdam. We signed up for another one in 2019.

1 hour ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

I’d like to honor the spirit of the gift. 

And remember you'll probably be asked later how you enjoyed the specialty restaurants. :classic_blink: I say let them eat in the Lido, MDR, or room service on their own. 

7 minutes ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

almost brought up Semester At Sea!  My daughter REALLY wants to do it for her junior year away.  I think would make a great thread on its own.  

I have a long associations with Semester at Sea going back to the 1960's - the grand-daddy of the cruising and education combo - adults were allowed to also sign up and the instructor spots were highly coveted. 

Thank you all for your input!  I will let you know what we decided and how it worked for us.

I know some are thinking we should enjoy a “date night,” but we can do that anytime now that our kids are older.  Now we crave moments when the 5 of us sit down together.  For me, that is the best part of vacation.  😊

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

Thank you all for your input!  I will let you know what we decided and how it worked for us.

I know some are thinking we should enjoy a “date night,” but we can do that anytime now that our kids are older.  Now we crave moments when the 5 of us sit down together.  For me, that is the best part of vacation.  😊

I am much older than your children and I still love to go on cruises with my parents. We go on at least one vacation per year together and I absolutely adore my time with them. And just like you, we all  eat dinner (and every meal) together. I can do things on my own anytime, but when I am with my parents, it is all about quality family time. I love to hear stories about other families who are just as close!! Have a wonderful cruise and no matter where you end up dining I know you will have a wonderful time making memories that last a lifetime!!! 

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, DC1979 said:

I am much older than your children and I still love to go on cruises with my parents. We go on at least one vacation per year together and I absolutely adore my time with them. And just like you, we all  eat dinner (and every meal) together. I can do things on my own anytime, but when I am with my parents, it is all about quality family time. I love to hear stories about other families who are just as close!! Have a wonderful cruise and no matter where you end up dining I know you will have a wonderful time making memories that last a lifetime!!! 

I want a Christmas cruise to be our new tradition!  We SO loved our Alaska cruise.  My family LOVES to fish so cruising is a perfect vacation. 

Looking at HAL Holiday itineraries for next year.  The Nieuw Statendam itenarary looks great but we’ll have to see if the family room for 5 works or us just insane.

Edited by 1964IceCreamLady

31 minutes ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

I want a Christmas cruise to be our new tradition!  We SO loved our Alaska cruise.  My family LOVES to fish so cruising is a perfect vacation. 

Looking at HAL Holiday itineraries for next year.  The Nieuw Statendam itenarary looks great but we’ll have to see if the family room for 5 works or us just insane.

That would be a great tradition! I’m doing a Mediterranean cruise with my parents in May 2019. This will be our first non-Caribbean cruise and our first time in the Mediterranean.  I’m really looking forward to it. It’s on the Koningsdam, so I booked the Ultimate dining package for us so we can try out all the specialty restaurant. But I also booked an extra Tamarind which has been my favorite one so far! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1964IceCreamLady said:

I understand this totally.  When my son was that age, we cruised a lot with him, or even took his friends with us.  The only rule my husband always had was they could do whatever they wanted during the days, but he wanted the family together at dinner.  However you decide to use the credit, I'm sure you can keep it or convert it to whatever suits you best.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 10:27 AM, 1964IceCreamLady said:

18, 16, 13.  They could I just think they wouldn’t.  I think they would prefer room service, TBH!  :classic_biggrin:  I should have not phrased it like I did.  want us to dress smartly and eat together every night in a nice restaurant.  The ability to do that is a huge benefit to cruising for me.  

(And my kids are amazingly sweet and polite.  However, from some of the posts here on CC, I know some HAL customers get nervous by anyone under 25 years old.   Can you imagine a 3 top of TEENS?! 😂 [joking, people!!])

Your teens have  the same right as every guest to dine in MDR.  I think you are  imagining a problem for them  dining alone that simply does not exist.  I  would so enjoy seeing ghree  ten brothers dining together n and  anyone who has an issue about  three well behaved sweet young men could likely learn a lesson or two from them.  Don't let your imagination deny  your sons the opportunity to have a nice meal together.  Let them make some great memories.  IMO>    (but... you DiD  ask)  :

Thanks for responses!  I am fairly certain HAL will accommodate.  I just didn’t know if someone had experience with this particular situation.  I will add post giving update upon our return.

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 8:27 AM, 1964IceCreamLady said:

When my teens and their friends went, there were 9 of them ages 13-16 they said it was so much fun, the staff really looked after them, made them feel grown up.