TIP: Quoting Part of a Post/Partial Post Selection Quote

POA1

If you would like to quote someone's post, but don't want to quote the whole thing, you can use partial quote selection. This comes in handy when you are responding to a long post, especially one that contains a lot of images.  By quoting only the relevant part of the post, you are keeping the overall thread shorter and easier to read. If a post contains a number of images, you may not want to have all - or any - of them in your reply. Luckily, there's .a pretty easy way to quote only the part of the post you want to use. It's called the "Quote selection" method and it's pretty simple once you understand how it works.

Like most things in this new version of Cruise Critic, it works differently on the computer from the way it does on a tablet or a smartphone. I'll show you all three versions in this little tutorial -because I care. Deeply. The tutorial images were captured on a Windows PC running 64-bit Firefox, a Kindle Fire 8 HD tablet running Android Chrome, and an Google Phone running the Dolphin browser. Your devices may be different, showing different selection "handles", for example - but the overall technique remains the same.

Desktop/Laptop Computer Version:

We'll start with the computer version. Selecting text is easiest with a mouse. You simply click where you want to start your selection. Then, hold down the left mouse button and drag across the text block to select the desired text. If you want to select text without using a mouse, press the "Right-arrow" key while keeping the "Shift" key held down. Notice that each time that you press the "Right-arrow" key, a character is highlighted. If you want to highlight a large amount of text, simply hold down the "Right-arrow" key while pressing the "Shift" key.

As soon as you select a block of text, you will see a little black button that says "Quote selection" appear on your screen. When you click on the "Quote selection" button, your selected text will be copied into the New Post box. You can then type your response below the quoted text.  In addition to text, you can also quote images if you wish.  Should you want to quote multiple, non-contiguous text blocks, simply repeat the "Quote selection" process with subsequent text blocks.

Selecting Text on a Computer:

desktop-01.thumb.JPG.15b8f87937138b1ef625f5e3abd6bd7f.JPG

Using the Quoted Text in Your Response:

desktop-02.thumb.JPG.cade372a102e8cf4b4123016d30700be.JPG

Tablet Version:

This example shows how the partial quote selection process works on a tablet. The images are from a Fire 8 HD, but iPads and Android tablets work more or less the same way.  To start the text selection process, long-press on a word.  You can then drag your finger or stylus to continue the selection.  If this proves to be difficult, you can drag the selection "handles" to extend the selection, or to shorten it. (The handles are the blue teardrops in this example.)

As soon as you select a block of text, you will see a little black button that says "Quote selection" appear on your screen. When you click on the "Quote selection" button, your selected text will be copied into the New Post box. You can then type your response below the quoted text.  In addition to text, you can also quote images if you wish.  Should you want to quote multiple, non-contiguous text blocks, simply repeat the "Quote selection" process with subsequent text blocks.

Selecting Text on a Tablet:

tablet-01.thumb.jpg.49de8062b748d666522eb9a61811fe95.jpg

tablet-02.thumb.jpg.a1cae570483d63bfc3a150dfb83dd3c2.jpg

Phone Version:

I find the phone to be the most challenging, because you're dealing with a smaller surface area. However, the mechanism is idnetical to thw one you use on a tablet.  This example shows how the partial quote selection process works on a phone. The images are from an Android phone, but the method is the same on an iPhone.  To start the text selection process, long-press on a word.  You can then drag your finger or stylus to continue the selection.  If this proves to be difficult, you can drag the selection "handles" to extend the selection, or to shorten it. (The handles are the blue squared off triangles in this example.)

Selecting Text on a Phone:

phone-01.thumb.jpg.48a0619334f97adc0ab6c54d06ba6d9b.jpg

phone-02.thumb.jpg.961a521416a3023b396ca12c4a9de124.jpg

Once you get the hang of this, you'll find that responding to posts is more efficient. You'll also sleep better, lose weight, and look 5-7 years younger. If you have any questions, please ask.

Edited by POA1
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, POA1 said:

If you would like to quote someone's post, but don't want to quote the whole thing, you can use partial quote selection.

Brian, I thanked you on the other thread for the very helpful tip alerting us to the partial quote selection feature, and I want to thank you now for this separate thread with the great detail on how to use it.  

I just did this on my iPad.  It was a little difficult at first to select only the small amount of your post that I wanted to quote — dragging the blue “handle” to run across the text horizontally (as the eye reads) kept selecting all of your post as soon as I got past the first line of text. But by dragging the handle vertically I was able to select and thus partially quote only your first two lines. So I wanted to mention that for others who may have some difficulty doing this on a tablet or phone.  As you say, it’s easiest with a mouse and a computer. 

Thanks again!

Edited by Turtles06

57 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I just did this on my iPad.  It was a little difficult at first to select only the small amount of your post that I wanted to quote — dragging the blue “handle” to run across the text horizontally (as the eye reads) kept selecting all of your post as soon as I got past the first line of text. But by dragging the handle vertically I was able to select and thus partially quote only your first two lines

Good tip! I run into a problem on my phone, often selecting a much bigger block than I want. It's because my phone case has a lip around the edge and I can't quite get my finger to the side of the screen when dragging. I have to use the handles more than I'd like, but it's getting better with practice. 

25 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Thank you for the tutorial, especially covering all the device possibilities.
Let's hope people start to use it! Extensively. 😉

It's all part of my plot to make my upcoming "Live From" easier to read. There's serious competition from a multi-person live thread above a new ship and I'm competing from the oldest of the Vistas. Gotta bring my "A" game. :classic_wink:

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, POA1 said:

It's all part of my plot to make my upcoming "Live From" easier to read. There's serious competition from a multi-person live thread above a new ship and I'm competing from the oldest of the Vistas. Gotta bring my "A" game. :classic_wink:

Your threads are always interesting, though. Your ratings will be good. ;)

6 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Your threads are always interesting, though. Your ratings will be good. 😉

Thanks. I'd hate to be cancelled mid-cruise and replaced with "Cooking with Chef Rudi." or "Let's Talk After Dinner Mints - hosted by The Yum Yum Man."

teaser-2018.png.3d544c5e7ecfb272d8270cda31965d07.png

41 minutes ago, POA1 said:

Thanks. I'd hate to be cancelled mid-cruise and replaced with "Cooking with Chef Rudi." or "Let's Talk After Dinner Mints - hosted by The Yum Yum Man."

teaser-2018.png.3d544c5e7ecfb272d8270cda31965d07.png

LOL - looking forward to your LIVE thread.  They are always so good and a great read.  And, of course, we all appreciate her scientific research on board 😄 😄😉 

15 hours ago, POA1 said:

Once you get the hang of this, you'll find that responding to posts is more efficient. You'll also sleep better, lose weight, and look 5-7 years younger. If you have any questions, please ask.

It's true, it's true..........you can get rid of the images.  Not sure about the weight and I already look 7 years younger than I think I am! :classic_biggrin: