Two for One - Help please.

Ned11

I'm looking at the Oasis next year and I'm travelling solo. For a Central Park balcony it's £2450, for a GTY neighbourhood balcony for two people, it's £1825. If I booked for two people and only I turn up, what would be the implications, please? 

Thanks in advance.

Hi, are you booking online on RC or on a 3rd party travel agency site? Usually you can enter just 1 passenger in the field. It seems like this might be a better strategy than booking for two.

I've never done what you are suggesting but I don't see why they would charge you additional fare over what you've already paid for the cabin for two if someone "unfortunately couldn't make it".  I don't know what they would do about auto gratuities which are typically added to your room account if you don't prepay them.

3 minutes ago, Tee & Chilli said:

Yes sometimes booking for 2 is less expensive. You have a few options. #1 call Royal to confirm price. #2 option is adding the second person TBD . #3 Or adding someone and having them be a no show. You would be refunded the taxes.

I have read somewhere about #3 but wasn't sure how it worked. I think it's disgusting that they charge more for a single person than two people. 

17 minutes ago, Ned11 said:

Thanks everyone. I'm going to book for two but only me show up. 🙂

You will initially pay the taxes for two people, but will ultimately receive a refund for the taxes for the person who does not cruise.

6 hours ago, Ned11 said:

I have read somewhere about #3 but wasn't sure how it worked. I think it's disgusting that they charge more for a single person than two people. 

The reason for the higher charge is that the cruise lines estimate a monetary value for on board spending for each passenger. The extra money in the single fare is to make up for the loss of the onboard revenue from the second passenger in the room.

There is at least one cruise line that I know of that has in its terms and conditions the the statement that in the event that a booked passenger does not show up to board, the remaining passenger in the cabin will be assessed a fee to make up for the loss of onboard revenue from the second cabin passenger.  That line has obviously caught on to the book two, board one to avoid the higher single supplement.

Which cruise line is it? Well, it would make more sense for anyone booking a cruise to read the terms and conditions easily available on any cruise-line's website to determine if their cruise line has such a condition.

44 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

The reason for the higher charge is that the cruise lines estimate a monetary value for on board spending for each passenger. The extra money in the single fare is to make up for the loss of the onboard revenue from the second passenger in the room.

There is at least one cruise line that I know of that has in its terms and conditions the the statement that in the event that a booked passenger does not show up to board, the remaining passenger in the cabin will be assessed a fee to make up for the loss of onboard revenue from the second cabin passenger.  That line has obviously caught on to the book two, board one to avoid the higher single supplement.

Which cruise line is it? Well, it would make more sense for anyone booking a cruise to read the terms and conditions easily available on any cruise-line's website to determine if their cruise line has such a condition.

So why so secretive, just say who the cruise line is.

34 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

So why so secretive, just say who the cruise line is.

Because if I do, there will be numerous replies saying "But I did it and...."

It is always better to know the terms and conditions of the booking agreement and perhaps it will save us the posts of outrage when the booking conditions are applied.

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

If that was true, every cruise would have the over charge for a solo, but they don't

What line does this? If you won't name it, it isn't true

Edited by cruisinfanatic

8 hours ago, Ned11 said:

Simple-  two people = twice the number of opportunities to sell you something-

two specialty dinners, two beverage packages or people buying drinks.

their business model is based on 2 people per room, they can only sell the room for each sailing once- 

In other words they make less money off of singles so they charge accordingly.

6 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

Why don't you just call and find out  if you can get the QTY pricing for 1 person?  Sometimes it is just their wonderful well run website that is the issue.

That's a good idea. Or try an online travel agency that specializes in cruises. I have booked Royal twice now and used an online travel agency (one of those that Cruise Critic directs you to) because they have completely different inventory and (lower) prices than the Royal website for the exact same sailing.  This is not the case with Carnival - prices and availability have been identical in my experience.

6 hours ago, Homosassa said:

Because if I do, there will be numerous replies saying "But I did it and...."

It is always better to know the terms and conditions of the booking agreement and perhaps it will save us the posts of outrage when the booking conditions are applied.

Gee I though CC was a forum where people helped each other instead of skipping  around like a little schoolgirl singing “I’ve got a secret”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I’ve never heard of the cabin being cheaper for two people rather than one. It’s usually the same price. Why would they? it’ usually the posted fare plus 100% surcharge. 

As far as the extra cost is due to the loss of onboard revenue by only one person in the room versus two doesn’t fly either. There are two people in our cabin and we haven’t spent an extra penny on the ship in the last 70 days at sea. They didn’t come after us for the lost onboard revenue. We refuse to over pay for anything, on land or on the sea.

I've run in to this issue before, and it's simply a limitation of their website.  They are usually running some sort of a "sale" where the second person is half off or whatever, and when you don't enter a second person, it isn't smart enough to apply the same discount.  

If you call RCI or book with a travel agent, you can get the "sale" pricing for any cabin category and only pay for one deposit and the port taxes on one person.  

For those who keep posting about "paying extra for lost revenue" this isn't about the Single Supplement.  The OP is talking about actual different total pricing for one person with Single Supplement versus two people paying the regular price each.  It's just because RCI's IT department is less than skilled, that's all.  Calling versus booking online takes care of the problem.  

Signed, 

A Solo Cruiser Who Has Run Into This On More Than One Occasion

• Like 1