Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
dubroben22

can you purchase Clorox wipes on the ship.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, newmexicoNita said:

thanks, my thought: there is too much concern around a little bit of dirt and a few germs these days. Or maybe I am just not concerned enough. I just know the wipes do not kill as many germs as some seem to think they do. Wiping down the phone: maybe a good idea, carrying wipes everywhere over doing it for me anyway. For others if you feel better using wipes, that is great but do remember, kids get dirty in so many ways. Actually we all do.

 

I agree it is good to build your body's immunities, but I don't want to be doing that on a vacation.  And since your body can't build immunities to most of things you'll be exposed to on the ship it pays to be extra cautious.  You are in tight quarters with 3,000 strangers.  Washing your hands frequently is the best defense but disinfecting wipes, germicidal wipes and hand sanitizers are a big help.  

Edited by senseib

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always wonder how much this helps since you can't wipe everything down once you leave the cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GetMeOutOfMN said:

SenseiB - thanks for the clarification.  And newmexicoNita, I am all for exposure to germs to let bodies build up immunity.  We wash frequently with soap and water, but I figure at a minimum the wipes can prevent against at least some germs and it makes me feel better so I bring them along to the cruises.  I thought 99.99% would have us covered but I guess I have falling for the marketing.  We have been on four cruises and have been fortunate to escape norovirus so far - fingers crossed for next time!

Hey, I understand but I just don't think all this wiping down really does much good. we have cruised 40 plus times, never brought wipes with us, have been on a couple cruises where there have been noro breakouts  and a couple others when they had one the sailing before: 

Praise God we have never gotten sick on a cruise. I hope we can finish our next cruise saying the same thing. Heck we started sailing before anyone had heard of wipes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always have them with me when I cruise.  I buy a travel package that is small and fits easily in my suitcase.

 

Candi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like to use wipes to get rid of the dust and stains which the stewards don't have enough time to remove.  I usually get a chest infection via the aircon but at least my stateroom is fairly clean!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 2:40 AM, david_sobe said:

I have never brought them.  However, I am a subscriber to SeaCruises blog. She always brings wipes and on her Vlogs she always wipes the counters and sink down with Clorox wipes when she checks into the cabin. While the cabin looks clean and spotless, its amazing the grime and crud she gets on these wipes.  So I am bringing them next cruise.  The cabins are clean but with such quick turn around, they don't get the deep cleaning they should.  Women's make up, suntan lotion, sodas, etc get spilled on the counter and the crud just sticks to it. You don't really know what is there until you wipe :classic_ohmy:

 

Don't forget the TV remote control... some just put it in a ziploc and don't touch it at all. Funny how many of us are wiping everything down the moment we enter the cabin.  Inflight to and from our cruises, we do the same with our seatbelts and lunch tray, as well as packing these beauties for the flight in case anyone nearby is actively suffering from a cold or flu.  Using these inflight during active coughing and sneezing nearby have kept us healthy for several cruises now.

20181217_194930 (002).jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always bring Cleaning Wipes with me on a cruise or hotel stay.

 

Wiping commonly touched areas in the room is the first thing I do when I get in.

 

And now you also know how I selected my handle! lol

Edited by Cwipes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/13/2018 at 8:34 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

norovirus for everyone! Yay!

LOL

 

This thread is creepy...the folks at the grocery store wiping down buggy handles unite. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2018 at 12:39 PM, newmexicoNita said:

Hey, I understand but I just don't think all this wiping down really does much good. we have cruised 40 plus times, never brought wipes with us, have been on a couple cruises where there have been noro breakouts  and a couple others when they had one the sailing before: 

Praise God we have never gotten sick on a cruise. I hope we can finish our next cruise saying the same thing. Heck we started sailing before anyone had heard of wipes. 

Well said...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

LOL

 

This thread is creepy...the folks at the grocery store wiping down buggy handles unite. 

Enjoy your next trip to the grocery store as some bacteria may actually be good for you.
 

http://www.grocery.com/bacteria-and-fecal-matter-found-in-grocery-carts/

Bacteria and Fecal Matter Found in Grocery Carts

Jan 24, 2017
A recent study made by researcher Charles Gerba on the cleanliness of grocery carts concluded that grocery carts are not as clean as they look. This conclusion was made after swabbing and doing analyses of 85 samples of grocery carts in 4 states.

Results of the analyses showed that 72% of the carts were found to have fecal matter present. Half of those positive results also tested positive for the bacteria E. coli. The majority of the spots where E. coli was found were on the handlebars of grocery carts, indicating that a lot of people don’t properly wash their hands after visiting the bathroom.

The same researcher also did a study on the amount of bacteria present on work desks, the result of which stated that teachers’ work desks had the most bacteria and lawyers’ work desks had the least. Results of these types of studies put some people in a tizzy thinking about bacteria present all around.

This kind of cleanliness panic then results in an increase in the use of hand sanitizers and disinfecting wipes. Then again, some people take the attitude of bacteria being present as a case of ‘what you don’t know won’t hurt you.’

Bacteria are all around us and no sanitizer or disinfecting wipe can make it all disappear. Also, not all bacteria is harmful, it can be beneficial to humans in many cases. It is just the thought of it that grosses people out.

The two studies done by University of Arizona researcher Charles Gerba were both funded by the company Clorox.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Cwipes said:

Results of the analyses showed that 72% of the carts were found to have fecal matter present. Half of those positive results also tested positive for the bacteria E. coli. The majority of the spots where E. coli was found were on the handlebars of grocery carts, indicating that a lot of people don’t properly wash their hands after visiting the bathroom.

 

:classic_ohmy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As others have mentioned, regular Clorox/Lysol wipes actually contain no bleach, only alcohol, and so don't kill all germs. 


That's why we specifically order the "germicidal" wipes from Amazon, which are made for healthcare environments, and do contain bleach, and will kill norovirus (and just about everything else). 

 

We pack a few in a ziploc in our day pack for when we first get into our cabin, do a quick once over, and then trash them. I'm sure some people would consider this overkill, but have yet to get sick on a cruise...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get flu shots, but I do... use public restrooms, touch door handles, use the hotel remote, lay on top of the hotel bed spread, get on airplanes, touch the tray table on airplanes,  shake hands with strangers on occasion, push elevator buttons with my bare hands,  drank out of the garden hose as a kid, rode a bike without a helmet,  touched animals without gloves,  drink beer/soda out of the can/bottle without a straw, etc etc etc etc.....and yet somehow I have lived to be almost 48 years old (turn 48 in early Jan) without ever getting really sick (the occasional head cold, but that is about it) while at the same time leaving my house and being out in the world  without obsessing over germs or getting ill. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by TruckerDave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, TruckerDave said:

I don't get flu shots, but I do... use public restrooms, touch door handles, use the hotel remote, lay on top of the hotel bed spread, get on airplanes, touch the tray table on airplanes,  shake hands with strangers on occasion, push elevator buttons with my bare hands,  drank out of the garden hose as a kid, rode a bike without a helmet,  touched animals without gloves,  drink beer/soda out of the can/bottle without a straw, etc etc etc etc.....and yet somehow I have lived to be almost 48 years old (turn 48 in early Jan) without ever getting really sick (the occasional head cold, but that is about it) while at the same time leaving my house and being out in the world  without obsessing over germs or getting ill. 🤷‍♂️

My kind of man: you could be our son.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...