Cruising tips for tall people

geekgiant

Hi all, we are in the process of planning a family cruise for a July sailing to Alaska from Seattle. We have two daughters, 8 and 5 as well as my wife and me. 

I pose a bit of a logistical challenge, however. I am 6'8" and assuredly not skinny. I believe we'll be on the Eurodam so I am wondering if anybody can share guidance on things like, will I fit in the shower, do I need to pack a helmet, etc... 🙂 

I'll be posting in the Alaska ports section but if there's any first-hand experiences on weight/size limitations for any of the excursions, that'd be great information to have as well. Thanks! 

1 hour ago, geekgiant said:

I'll be posting in the Alaska ports section but if there's any first-hand experiences on weight/size limitations for any of the excursions, that'd be great information to have as well. Thanks! 

Excursions involving fixed wing planes, or helicopters, have a weight limit. If over the limit, frequently the excursion can be taken, but there is an extra charge.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, RuthC said:

Excursions involving fixed wing planes, or helicopters, have a weight limit. If over the limit, frequently the excursion can be taken, but there is an extra charge.

Yeah, I think most of them are a max of 250. I haven't seen that since elementary school so I'm likely out for those, bummer. But they're cost prohibitive anyway. 

12 minutes ago, wales4ever said:

" do I need to pack a helmet" shows you have a great sense of humour, so I guess you will have a great time wherever you are 🙂

I am only 6ft 1", so I don't bump into anything, though I won't want sit behind you in the theatre....

Yeah, I lose perspective of my size sometimes but the tops of doors hurt. I'm more worried about the bathroom space than anything, LOL

• 2 weeks later...

My BIL is 6'9", and my FIL was 6'8". My younger son is 6'5" (my wife is the family shrimp at 5'11", and I'm 5'12").

We haven't been on Eurodam, but my experIence on Maasdam and Zuiderdam is that the headroom in the tub-shower combo is going to be too low for you to stand up straight.

You may want to contact rajkr74 (https://boards.cruisecritic.com/profile/421192-rajkr74/), whom we meet last year on on our Alaska-Yukon trip. He's 6'8", and is a veteran HAL traveller. Good luck!

Edited by kwb101
  • Like 1

Funny you should ask....😁  I am 6' 9" and have all the problems someone has as tall as me on land and on a ship.  Tub and shower force me to bend my head taking a shower (shorter shower times).  Shower only cabins might have more head room but I have never had one. Beds are too short and my feet hang over, no big deal they hang over on my bed at home.  Make sure you take a seat by the doors on the tenders because the knee room of other seats fit those with statures of 5' 6" or shorter....😣Watch your head getting on and off the ship,  staff will also let you know to "watch your head".  Hallways, elevators and stairways are fine. I love the reaction with the crew to my height.  I think everyone previously posted info on limits for weight but I tend to stay away from those excursions that place those limits.  I have always enjoyed HAL and find no problems cruising.  NOW.... let's talk about airlines. I have more problems with airlines than I do with cruising.

266392022_2007rick.JPG.9df2c5ca3a8dbed360aaa2ae2c052356.JPG

• Like 2