Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

LIVE - WORLD CRUISE 2019 & MORE - A NEW ADVENTURE UNFOLDS - 12/15/18 - 5/21/19

Keith you were very blessed.   My last trip,here was in a five star hotel. Hated it, I rather walk aeounf her and eat. The seals were fun and the wine.but I’d cold. Today they needed beach towels for the beach.  I got in but did not want to come BACK with wet clothes?

the chocolate man found my door and I am deeply grateful. I saw the IGI but never went back.  Between two lunches and three drinks glD the ship was there, 

had a great dinner in Silk ,the best meal ever.all spicy and fun.

off to Pulse to dance off a drink or two. There is group that comes most nightd

We finally scared .org the couple who want to hassle to old time rock and roll.find a other bar this Is a rocker by and we rock

to

Happy Valentine's Day for those of you celebrating it on this date.

Our day is now over although everyday can be Valentine's Day.

It was nice to see many ladies walking around with the long stem rose they received from Crystal Cruises as well as all of the decorations for the holiday.

I am including some additional photos from yesterday's tour of Kangaroo Island and some thoughts on the Island and travel.

As Anne Marie and I reflected on our day one of the highlights was walking in the bush and scouting for wildlife and its similarity to being in Africa and doing the same.  The experience is unique and very much different than seeing the animals in other venues.  

The other item that hit home is the diversity of the world we live in.  While we are in our respective home communities it is easy to think that everyone has similar day-to-day experiences as those of ourselves.  This is certainly not the case when you contrast Kangaroo Island with others places and that includes cities in Australia such as Sydney or from around the world and for that matter in our own country.

For some people they would be bored living on Kangaroo Island and for other people it would be a dream come true.

We are fortunate and humbled to visit another unique area of this beautiful world we live in.  The memories we made yesterday will carry-on for the rest of our lives.

We can't say enough about the tour company and Bill our tour guide for the day and we are thankful that this unique island was part of the itinerary put together by Crystal Cruises. Someone told me the other day which I have not verified that it was on one of the Crystal Symphony itineraries but they were unable to make it there.  

For those of you who have the time I would spend two days on the Island.  There were places that I would have liked to see that we couldn't do on the same day such as seeing the Caves.IMG_6218.thumb.jpg.2399aaa583077c84ed53786e2498f766.jpgIMG_3643.thumb.jpg.faec7d6a7524b9c82d3f5986b14b2718.jpg1187609981_IMG_15932.thumb.jpg.41c9fa5934d70266fe7ab1258d1af480.jpgIMG_1137.thumb.jpg.6aa7486124d82187e88df20394b6c59e.jpgIMG_7726.thumb.jpg.1cb00719aa10a3f255e044294f86dec5.jpgIMG_2486.thumb.jpg.a8075bf54f6b6f923b64122917224fe0.jpgIMG_5389.thumb.jpg.a1956ed84de8913330d23bc3e2b40913.jpg

We were fortunate with yesterday's weather.  After we returned to Serenity, I met up with a friend on the stern of one of the guest decks and had a beautiful view of the surrounding area and could not get over how nice the weather was.

It was a great day.

We have very little travel time to Adelaide and unlike the past few days the sea is calm.   

Our schedule calls for arriving to Adelaide by 8:00 AM local time.  

Following is the daily Reflections Program for today.  

Reflections.pdf

Keith

I have thoroughly enjoyed your report of yet another one of your trips. Thank you for sharing. 

I do have a question for Anne Marie. Would she mind sharing the brand of the cross body bag she is wearing on Kangaroo Island. It seems to be perfect when on tour. Thank you!!

Sue

Sue, glad to hear that you are enjoying the report.

The bag that Anne Marie has is made by Kipling

She has a couple of bags made by them.

Keith

16 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

WELCOME TO KANGAROO ISLAND & HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY

Shirin, you and Glen need to go to Kangaroo Island.  Anne Marie and I had an absolutely lovely day here on a private tour. 

The daily Reflections Program has a good title to describe Kangaroo Island.  "Land of Brews, Wine & Honey and Kangaroos".

We were met at the drop-off area by tour guide Bill.  He is a retired school teacher.  We drove to several areas.

Our first stop was at Seal Bay Conservation Park where we walked to the beach to see a seal colony.  Bill spoke about the colony, the mating season, the timeframes for going to sea to catch food along with many other aspects to the seals.  It was very special.  We arrived there before the larger tours.  The drive involved a combination of driving on the two lane roads and also getting off and driving on dirt roads.  This saved time and gave us the actual experience of what many locals do.

From there we drove to Stokes Bay and saw Koala's in Eucalyptus Trees. We also visited Lathami Conservation Park and saw several Wallabies in the Bush.  We enjoyed a barbecue lunch in the Bush.  The lunch included King George Whiting Local Fish, Potatoes Grilled Phoulemi Cheese, Salad and Melon which the chef had prepared and Bill cooked for us.  We enjoyed wine and soft drinks.

We visited Pennington Bay Beach at the end of the tour.  It was breathtaking.

During the course of the day we saw several Kangaroos and Sheep.  The sheep are dark because they are dirty.  

This is a beautiful island and very special.  It does take a special person to live here.  With a small population the benefit is that it is very quiet and a place to enjoy the nature and all that the island offers.  At the same time, you won't find a department store on the Island so for many items one would need to drive to where the ferry is located, take a 45 minute ferry over to the mainland and drive another ninety minutes to Adelaide.

We are glad that we had the opportunity to visit this special island.

Oh and the weather was lovely.  We need light jackets when we saw the Seals.  As the day progressed it became sunny with mild temperatures.

I am including some photos.  Please check out the Blog for additional ones.

KeithIMG_9333.thumb.jpg.1e6b43e8d0030885704c1962f1ee9aea.jpg907913895_IMG_15932.thumb.jpg.fc086a83af44d8034a0149b0d366b283.jpg834718478_IMG_30032.thumb.jpg.c1c5c32ed6f27febc5eec50429dbeaa3.jpg1599669485_IMG_19582.thumb.jpg.8f965b5f6e02c32e1cf187776c9e9b6b.jpgIMG_1091.thumb.jpg.93cc6cf1b4c83c82ad3243e70f3a34cd.jpgIMG_0095.thumb.jpg.b91341d0deb96687d8be0e9a67ae9c73.jpg

IMG_4118.thumb.jpg.4f6180940f80f85cff446007ffa5142b.jpgIMG_2751.thumb.jpg.08365f24903b0793333ceb6a78ecacb3.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

16 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

WELCOME TO KANGAROO ISLAND & HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY

Shirin, you and Glen need to go to Kangaroo Island.  Anne Marie and I had an absolutely lovely day here on a private tour. 

The daily Reflections Program has a good title to describe Kangaroo Island.  "Land of Brews, Wine & Honey and Kangaroos".

We were met at the drop-off area by tour guide Bill.  He is a retired school teacher.  We drove to several areas.

Our first stop was at Seal Bay Conservation Park where we walked to the beach to see a seal colony.  Bill spoke about the colony, the mating season, the timeframes for going to sea to catch food along with many other aspects to the seals.  It was very special.  We arrived there before the larger tours.  The drive involved a combination of driving on the two lane roads and also getting off and driving on dirt roads.  This saved time and gave us the actual experience of what many locals do.

From there we drove to Stokes Bay and saw Koala's in Eucalyptus Trees. We also visited Lathami Conservation Park and saw several Wallabies in the Bush.  We enjoyed a barbecue lunch in the Bush.  The lunch included King George Whiting Local Fish, Potatoes Grilled Phoulemi Cheese, Salad and Melon which the chef had prepared and Bill cooked for us.  We enjoyed wine and soft drinks.

We visited Pennington Bay Beach at the end of the tour.  It was breathtaking.

During the course of the day we saw several Kangaroos and Sheep.  The sheep are dark because they are dirty.  

This is a beautiful island and very special.  It does take a special person to live here.  With a small population the benefit is that it is very quiet and a place to enjoy the nature and all that the island offers.  At the same time, you won't find a department store on the Island so for many items one would need to drive to where the ferry is located, take a 45 minute ferry over to the mainland and drive another ninety minutes to Adelaide.

We are glad that we had the opportunity to visit this special island.

Oh and the weather was lovely.  We need light jackets when we saw the Seals.  As the day progressed it became sunny with mild temperatures.

I am including some photos.  Please check out the Blog for additional ones.

KeithIMG_9333.thumb.jpg.1e6b43e8d0030885704c1962f1ee9aea.jpg907913895_IMG_15932.thumb.jpg.fc086a83af44d8034a0149b0d366b283.jpg834718478_IMG_30032.thumb.jpg.c1c5c32ed6f27febc5eec50429dbeaa3.jpg1599669485_IMG_19582.thumb.jpg.8f965b5f6e02c32e1cf187776c9e9b6b.jpgIMG_1091.thumb.jpg.93cc6cf1b4c83c82ad3243e70f3a34cd.jpgIMG_0095.thumb.jpg.b91341d0deb96687d8be0e9a67ae9c73.jpg

IMG_4118.thumb.jpg.4f6180940f80f85cff446007ffa5142b.jpgIMG_2751.thumb.jpg.08365f24903b0793333ceb6a78ecacb3.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

Hi Keith

yes Kangaroo Island is very special. If you ever come back here, you should Take a landtour from the ship and stay at Southern Ocean Lodge. I did that 6 years ago and stayed for 4 nights and it’s a wonderful experience.

See you in Perth, I am enjoying Melbourne 

Elisabeth 

4 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Sue, glad to hear that you are enjoying the report.

The bag that Anne Marie has is made by Kipling

She has a couple of bags made by them.

Keith

Thank you. I will check it out.  

Sue

ON THE ROAD TO KANGAROO ISLAND

Thank you Elisabeth for your recommendation on the hotel.  I have added this to my list for future trips.  

Enjoyed a nice day today including our time at Adelaide.  The city and people are terrific and we were blessed with extraordinary weather.  

A few photos and a new addition to the stuffed Animals from Valentine's Day.  Our suite has grown since we boarded from two to five of them.  

DSC_2272.jpg.8e56be48c20e54383f4b00bded286c7d.jpgDSC_2273.jpg.5e7963689a02a3fca9fbf133c92d3b9c.jpgIMG_0809.thumb.jpg.b9eccf63b7beea4e9a0640ab52643606.jpg512485716_IMG_01962.thumb.jpg.7ccb3ef51bbde2855523917792e67c61.jpgIMG_3706.thumb.jpg.414f87e172ec03e9a2621947b457faf7.jpgIMG_1541.thumb.jpg.c7efc4155e8321c49d8ec3160994e158.jpgIMG_5970.thumb.jpg.08fad2f5363178410fef054c43ed844a.jpg Blog has been updated with lots more.

We kept your table in Waterside company last night at dinner. :classic_biggrin: Leo asked if we minded sitting on the other side of the circle, and when I saw the table I recognized it from your pictures. Claudia, who is a lovely server, confirmed you normally sit there. Very busy in Waterside last night given it was Valentine's Day, but food and service were great.

DAY ONE OF TWO SEA DAYS CRUISING THE AUSTRALIAN BIGHT ON THE ROAD TO ALBANY

It is Saturday early morning on Crystal Serenity.  Last night we set the clock back 30 additional minutes.  I think this evening we set it back another hour.

Larry…At dinner last night Claudia said she had a couple from Canada the night before who mentioned they knew us.  I quickly said you must be talking about Mr and Mrs. xxxx.  By the way, Anne Marie and I liked the location of the table you two were sitting at last night as well.  :classic_laugh:

Norma….Some guests who we know like the new suites while others do not.  A couple of concerns mentioned to me by some guests we know were the hardness of the couch, the coffee table not being able to be raised, the look of the box spring, and the new PH being a tad smaller than the original ones.  I like the look of the SeaBreeze PS on Symphony better than Serenity.  For us the traditional PH on Serenity is wonderful so I prefer it over the SeaBreeze PH and I also like the location for the standard PH as we can get a midship location which we prefer.  I do know a family who had two SeaBreeze PH's and like a hotel they appreciated the outdoor door and keeping the actual entry doors to their rooms open.  

Now to Adelaide.

I wanted to mention how welcoming the people were at our port of call stop at Adelaide.

When we walked down the gangway in the morning musicians were on hand playing instruments and singing.  I have a short video on the Blog.

In the terminal area there were lots of local representatives on-hand who were there to answer any and all questions about the local area and the city.  They provided maps and some discount coupons and provided advice on things to see.  They were very welcoming and friendly.  They represented their city and country very well.

The port was very organized with security who were also warm and welcoming.

On our walk we ran into several Aussies who like the other places within Australia were very helpful and engaging.

This is one of the many aspects we enjoy about Australia and New Zealand.  They are very engaging.

Also, things tend to be very orderly and clean and attractive.

I have always said if we had to leave our own country and if they allowed us to stay we would consider living in Australia and New Zealand.  The downside is their distance from where we live while on the other hand I think their distance is part of what makes them so special.

We look forward to our upcoming stops in Albany, Busselton and Fremantle, Australia.

We are now sailing The Australian Bight and have two days at sea.  

I am hoping to play Paddle Tennis as it has been a few days of not playing.  

I am including a copy of todays' Reflections program. 

Reflections.pdf

Keith

I have a feeling I will be on a treadmill today. Does not feel very warm on my balcony.

the 30 minute time changes ..my clock was not set right by me yet my phone is now correct.I give up for now.

after two days of lots of good food I had  spinach salad and went to the show last night.

Had a great day on-board Serenity today. It turned out to be a great day of Fitness.

The weather was a delight.  We had a nice breeze.

I had personnel training with one of the Fitness Directors.  I have been doing personal training every few days.  While I've done this at home this is the first time I have been doing it on the ship.  My sessions are 30 minutes which works out great for me.

We also had indoor cycling and today was the best class we have had since we boarded the ship.  The Fitness Director created a new playlist and the songs were very motivating.  Including myself there were 11 participants. A great workout and a lot of fun for all of us.

Thankfully I was able to play a lot of Paddle Tennis and we had a lot of people out on the courts so we had two both courts in use when I played this morning and afternoon with very little wait for people to come in.

Today's enrichment included two lectures and there is one that I am very interested in watching and will watch it later today.  This is one of the benefits of having the interactive TV's where we can watch the lecture on-demand on the television.

Tonight is Black Tie (BTO) Optional and we will attend the Crystal Society Party in an hour.  

I have updated the Blog.

This segment of the cruise is going fast.  I realize we missed the first few days when we were with our family in Sydney.  It seems that each day goes by in a blink of an eye.

Keith

I am sure I saw you playing. I went to the pool for two hours but it cooled off. Ended up in the Cove laughing with friends at the 15 minute fashion show. I would of gone to the party but had a spa app at 530. None of us were dressed up. Five something to early to dress for late dinner people.

i had the hard sell at the spa. Really! Was told my skin was dry..always is.

off to bah and dry my skin out more with bath salts.

I got told off again by a CC member . My feelings..not right or wrong just my feelings.

eighty cruises on eight lines I think I have earned the right to say how I feel about the spa, lack of water at gangway, food etc.

oh guests were never informed about the beach in KI or offered beach towels. Water was warm ..warmer than some places in AU. Lunch was good ..half the ship was there.

Robin, more than likely you did see me playing.

Keep posting and sharing your thoughts.  It is much appreciated by everyone including me.

Keith

5 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

Robin, more than likely you did see me playing.

Keep posting and sharing your thoughts.  It is much appreciated by everyone including me.

Keith

Thank you from the late night person. Dinner in Waterside was fair..soup,cold and fish overcooked.  I was with other WC guests and their food was fine. The bottle of wine  shared with me was great.I like full body reds.   We went straight to Pulse to hear great singers including my dinner guests. Around midnight I heard Kim Purling on the Ave piano while Dan sang.  What a rocking great night.

tomorrow hoping for some pool time before two shows and a fast dinner in Prego. Ordered eggplant parm. That will be enough for me.

the late night crowd was still at when I roll back to cabin around 1. 

Robin sounds like a fun evening.

One of the things I enjoy about sailing East to West is setting the clock back from time-to-time.  After having moved the clocks back 30 minutes each on two different evenings, last night we moved the clock back one hour. I believe we do the same this evening. 

Last night was Black Tie Optional (BTO) night.  My observation is that even on the World Cruise we are seeing less Tuxedos and long gowns than years past.  I saw a greater mix of gents in suits and also in sports jackets/dress slacks/ties and women in cocktail dresses than in years past.  All of this is appropriate for BTO nights.  Just saying less of the tuxedos and longer gowns and noting this since CC members ask about this from time-to-time.

Although I brought a Tuxedo and a White Dinner Jacket, and Anne Marie brought some gowns, last evening I went with a suit and Anne Marie a knee length dress.  We like to mix it up.

Speaking of BTO night we attended the Crystal Society Party.  Between guests, enrichment staff and Officers and Senior members of Serenity the room was full.  

It was very appropriate that one Crystal Society Member was recognized and that was Olga on her 300th milestone.  She is the only guest still living on Serenity at the present time.  A very kind woman who we have enjoyed many conversations with along with some pre-dinner drinks.  

Crystal Society Hostess Alissa noted that there are 600,000+ Crystal Society members.  Captain Giske noted  that on Crystal Harmony the first Crystal Society Party was held at the Captain’s Quarters with 10 Crystal Society Members and twenty officers in attendance.  

Today is our final sea day of this segment of the World Cruise and then we have three ports to look forward to. When we leave Fremantle on the way to Africa we begin with seven sea days.

There is lots on today's program which I am posting at the end of this post.  For food lovers there is a Viennese Sunday Brunch.  There are three lectures.  Even a few spa talks.  Oops, I better keep my mouth shut.  :classic_laugh:

One of the items that is very special is at 5:30 PM which is a Crystal Chorus Concert.  On this World Cruise we have been very impressed with the number of concerts the groups have been able to perform.  Reverend Ed Voosen assisted by is wife Ruth do a terrific job organizing this and they are accompanied by wonderful Pianist Richard Pucci.  Anyone can participate.  They mean servers times to learn the songs and to practice, practice and practice them.  It is one of many things that make the World Cruise so special.  

A couple of food photos from last night: 

Caviar.

IMG_8693.thumb.jpg.6a3eec172403b63c60404dfec2f12af4.jpg

Chilean Sea Bass.

1340549368_IMG_19142.thumb.jpg.5e013e2a3a121dfabce3742074a2146d.jpg

A photo of Anne Marie and myself with Shore Excursion Manage Storme Brown.

DSC01011.thumb.jpg.a30b8fb87ba6e1d2461baa62c30646d3.jpg 

Today's Reflections Program. 

Reflections.pdf

Keith

DSC01009.jpg

WELCOME TO ALBANY, AUSTRALIA

It is almost 6:00 AM local time on-board Serenity and will should arrive to Albany, Australia within two hours.

The Crystal Cove was buzzing last evening before dinner.  I was thinking of those days before inclusive when it was pretty quiet in the lounges and how much more enjoyable and social it is with so many people enjoying drinks together. The drink of the day involved lighting up the peel before the drink was served so it was fun watching both bartenders do that.  

They are trying something new. Let’s say you order wine and a glass of still water.  They would put lime in the water unless you didn’t want it.  They just started substituting a slice of cucumber instead having learned that the lime might be too acidic on your tongue and impact your enjoyment of the wine.  They will see what the guests think over the coming weeks.  It is a reminder to me how one can keep learning.

The World Cruise choir sang several songs last evening.  They have been terrific.  I think they had the biggest turnout last night.  Lots of people in the Choir and Reverend Ed has done a terrific job leading them. Pianist Richard Pucci accompanied them. One of the songs really brought out everyone as they went alternated with the ladies singing one verse and the gents singing the next one.  This is one of many items that is very special about the World Cruise.

Enjoyed a terrific dinner last evening.  We laughed for a while when our Senior Waiter recommended the Vegetarian Chicken Consommé Soup on the menu.  We laughed that maybe the Chicken used for the soup was a vegetarian.  Ironically, we did have the soup for an appetizer but not because it was listed as Vegetarian.  I wasn’t sure about which fish to have as an entrée; salmon or tilapia as I don’t have tilapia very often.  In Crystal fashion the Head Waiter not only described the tilapia to me but recommended that I request the salmon but also ask for

One of the three pieces of tilapia that would have come with that entrée added to my order.  I did just that and was very pleased.

It was like the movie Groundhog Day when we returned to our room last evening and set the clock back an additional hour to get on the local time zone for Albany, Australia.  

We have been to Albany one other time when it was a Maiden Port of Call so we are looking forward to our visit in a few hours from now.  Tomorrow, we will visit Busselton which is a Maiden Port of Call stop and then this segment ends in Perth.

I am including the daily Reflections program for today.

Reflections.pdf

Blog will be updated in about 10 hours from now and will include some video from the World Cruise Choir and photos.

Keith

Keith, thoroughly enjoying your posts. Thank you. 

Your photos are outstanding! May I ask if you use a digital camera or a cell phone? The crispness is awesome.

Tom

WELCOME TO BUSSELTON, AUSTRALIA

Thank you Tom.  You are very kind.

Tom, most of my photos are being taken with an iPhone.  This is a first for me.  On past World Cruises I would take one of two Nikon DSLR cameras with several lenses.  The upside is they take great photos.  The downside is that they are heavy to carry and a lot to take with us to and from the ship.  I would also bring a higher end small point and shoot camera.

This time around I did bring a higher end point and shoot with a decent lens made by Sony.  I have used this a few times but the downside is the time it takes to move photos to the computer.  Not that it is a big deal but just extra time.  I also brought with me a Sony Camera with two interchangeable lenses but have not used it much.  I do regret I did not take it with me when we did the tour of Kangaroo Island to get better photos of the animals we saw.

The iPhone has worked out very well although it does have some limitations particularly for shots that require great length.  The upsides include something easy to carry and I can air drop them to my computer.

Let me provide an update.

For the first time since we boarded on December 21 the internet was a challenge yesterday as it seemed that we needed to keep logging on and would be dropped.  The good news is I could still get the blog done and also post here and on one other social network so in spite of the challenges it all worked out.

We enjoyed our time in Albany.  It is a charming town and reminds me a lot of the USA in the early 1960’s.  This is one of the things we love about Australia and New Zealand.  The town was very welcoming to Serenity including opening up one of the museums earlier than the scheduled opening time.

In spite of its size there is a lot in the downtown area and that included the diversity of its restaurants.

Weather turned out great.  A little overcast in the morning so we wore vests for the first time but by noon it was warmer and the sun came out in the afternoon.  We have been enjoying the weather and often forget it is winter back home.

Unlike most evening’s when we visit the Avenue Saloon for a pre-dinner drink the Avenue Saloon was busy.  We were going to visit the Crystal Cove but there were no seats at the bar and most other seats were taken.  When we arrived to the Avenue Saloon it was busy because……….It was “Name That Tune” which was Hosted by World Cruise Hostess Stacey Huston with Richard Pucci on the Piano.  On the December Holiday Cruise we were there for a Name That Tune.  While it was fun (we didn’t officially play) last night was livelier and Stacey really brings out lots of good laughs by many of us.  Again we didn’t officially play.

Dinner at Prego was terrific.  I had the Barramundi fish which was an addition to the menu made for this segment.  I had it for the second time of the three times we dined at Prego.  While I enjoyed it the first I thought this one was more delicious.  Instead of two small fillets it was one fillet of a larger size and thought it was moister and hotter on arrival and the sides which accompanied it were different than the first time around and much more flavorful.  They were busy last evening which was no surprise as this voyage is winding down.  In spite of that service, cuisine and the overall dining experience was wonderful.

The show last evening was terrific and we have seen it a few times.  It is the Concert Production Show called Icons In Concert. 

Today we are sailing towards Busselton, Australia which is a Maiden Port Of Call stop.

Blog from yesterday’s visit to Albany was updated with lots of photos.

Some photos from Albany plus a four second video.

IMG_4330.thumb.jpg.19b7c533681af2511c91c110b70ae8e1.jpgIMG_7489.thumb.jpg.62dda752629e99f036c279d9a0e70532.jpgIMG_4273.thumb.jpg.3944a380850318d2723dd8426344b8a4.jpgIMG_1270.thumb.jpg.a3fba2153d614c1c9aca1221b95ac54b.jpg

A few photos from Prego including Anne Marie with Prego Waiter Ernest.

IMG_7444.thumb.jpg.973feafed22ace495726a0de29d3fb18.jpgIMG_7732.thumb.jpg.394b7300e6a1ee1c01bf4cba77e336de.jpgIMG_5031.thumb.jpg.ff8392dd97e71c949c123cee644bf4ef.jpg2063764837_IMG_81092.thumb.jpg.991196c26d57b5cab1ef0b29a9cfe80b.jpgIMG_3610.thumb.jpg.4b03b16ba67b87ff78395a958ce4992f.jpgIMG_6281.thumb.jpg.59bc32768472c53dc04820cb2f8b8dea.jpg

Cheers from Down Under,

Keith

IMG_3104 2.jpg

IMG_3762.jpg

Keith, thanks for the camera explanation.

I too used to carry an enormous camera bag with lens, downsized to a small handheld digital, now primarily use my Samsung cell phone camera.

I am just so impressed by the consistent quality of your photos....but it's not ALL the camera.  *wink* 

It is also the photographer knowing what to do.

Tom

WELCOME TO FREMANTLE (PERTH), AUSTRALIA

Thank you again Tom.  You are very kind. Best to you and Ed.

Today is turn around day with Segment 2 of the World Cruise ending and that start of Segment 3 which is 21 days and takes Serenity from Fremantle, Australia to Cape Town, South Africa.  We begin with seven consecutive sea days starting tomorrow.

Let me being with the stop in Busselton, Australia.  It is a small town and a maiden port of call for Crystal.  It was one of the longer tender rides taking 25 minutes to get between ship and the tender drop off.  The seas were calm with sunny skies.  By afternoon temperature reached 89 degrees Fahrenheit.

We didn’t take a tour but some of the tours included a visit to Market River for Wine Tasting, a visit to the Ngligi Cave and an opportunity for lunch.  

We went out on our own and stuck with the local town.  

Our plan for Fremantle is to walk the town on our own.  In years past we have enjoyed Fremantle and also Perth.  Perth is easily reachable by train, car or even a boat.  Since we are here just for the day we will pass on Perth.    

We had our first dinner of the segment at Umi Uma although last evening other than having dinner from Umi Uma in our room the day we had the long tour of Kangaroo Island.  We find by not dining at the specialty restaurants frequently we especially look forward to dining at venues such as Umi Uma even more.  I didn't try it but they even had an additional item last night which was another salad.  

We dined with two other people and had lots of food.  

A couple of food photos:

Truth be told all of the sashimi and most of the sushi I had, but there was plenty of other food for Anne Marie including those tacos.

IMG_0694.jpg.c837f513721543036c464938e6cde84c.jpgIMG_2791.jpg.1f4d2e7558d6868439972370d63b60a0.jpg

This is the Nobu Sashimi Salad that was added to the Umi Uma menu after the dry dock of Symphony and Serenity.

IMG_6333.thumb.jpg.efdafbf1350f5162791ee6c48c73e030.jpg

When the Blog is updated later today there will be lots more food photos.

Keith

On 2/14/2019 at 6:16 PM, Silver Sweethearts said:

On Silversea's Silver Spirit this past December there was a card in our suite that listed many kinds of toiletries (small sizes) available to order by way of your butler.  We gave him our order and it was delivered the same afternoon.

We can’t live off salads.  The photos of UmiUma look great.

Love, love the food & beverage comments AND pictures, too.  I make a small snack to keep the stomach growl under control while reading the Crystal boards.

WELCOME TO FREMANTLE (PERTH), AUSTRALIA

Thank you 8dimsum.  The food has been wonderful.

Today is turn around day with Segment 2 of the World Cruise ending and that start of Segment 3.

We stayed in the local area of Fremantle since on a prior visit we took the train over to Perth.  

Instead we enjoyed a nice walk around Fremantle.  We revisited some area awhich we have seen before plus a few sites for the first time.  The weather was nice. 

I have updated the Blog with lots of photos but will post some below.

1232220215_IMG_24392.thumb.jpg.9d3bc50272e4372f75dc94b3fdd7cfc4.jpgIMG_6065.thumb.jpg.24c85203d954c147ea6795e33f41c30d.jpgIMG_5922.thumb.jpg.0e2780529595d247199e4fbcf831299b.jpgIMG_0257.thumb.jpg.d2f901efd4f2e8808130724b70f34b69.jpgIMG_5223.thumb.jpg.437ec247a0595a2c76b134ab16aafedf.jpg

These are the Waterside menus for this evening.

Waterside.pdf

The Embarkation Reflections from today is not on-line so I am unable to post it.

I was going to address some posts that were directed at me on another thread but relates to my live reports and Blog but will wait a day or two for that.

Blog has been updated.

Today is our last day in Australia.  We are humbled to be able to visit such beautiful places around the world like Australia.  When we were first married I never would have believed we would have the opportunity to visit places as lovely as this country and so far from our own home country.  

Tomorrow is the first of seven sea days as we sail to Mauritius.

For the final time.

G'Day and Cheers from Down Under,

Keith

DAY 1 OF SEVEN DAYS AT SEA ON THE WAY TO MAURITIOUS

It is hard to believe that Segment Three of the World Cruise is underway.  The time has gone by very fast.  It is similar to life.  In a blink of an eye years go by.

I understand we are traveling with about 750 people and believe an additional 50 or so guests will be embarking in Mauritius.

We have met some of the officers and members of the crew who rejoined the ship yesterday along with some guests who we know from prior sailings.

Sometimes embarkation days can result in a busy experience at the former dining room which is now Waterside but that was not the case last evening.  The dining experience was terrific as people arrived to Waterside while we were dining.  Food was terrific IMHO.  There were several items for each course that I found appealing such as the appetizer which included Sautéed Garlic Shrimp and Cured Atlantic Salmon (even the Slice Prosciutto) would have been another alternative.  I enjoyed the Cured Atlantic Salmon on the Modern Menu.  For a main course I was deciding whether or not to have the Pan Seared Haddock from the Modern Menu or the Pan Seared Fillet of Lemon Sole from the Crystal Classic menu. In the end I went with the Haddock, Anne Marie the Sole and I had an opportunity to try a piece of her fish. Both were excellent choices and I would have been happy with either one.

There are some sea swells as Captain Giske forecasted in his talk from the Bridge last evening shortly before we left Fremantle.  It’s just a reminder that we are at sea.  We will travel at 17 knots per hour to reach Mauritius on-schedule.

Today’s program has lots on the schedule in terms of enrichment activities.  This evening is the first of four Black Tie Optional evenings on this segment.  

For the first time since we boarded, they are having a Captain’s Reception on the first BTO night.  There will still be a Crystal Society Party later in the cruise.  

I am including a couple of food photos from last night and Reflections from Embarkation Day and Today.

IMG_3532.thumb.jpg.3d04b670ffef0bde175880ea668f1f82.jpg1914227729_IMG_22182.thumb.jpg.fd40fa25a549329fe9672df9667f0ad1.jpgIMG_0833.thumb.jpg.93a071f521580a93d82d60d1aefd5e8c.jpg

ReflectionsFeb20.pdf

ReflectionsFeb21.pdf

Keith