Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

LIVE - WORLD CRUISE 2019 & MORE - A NEW ADVENTURE UNFOLDS - 12/15/18 - 5/21/19

Dear Keith and Ann Marie,

Let us add our bon voyages to you both.  We will be arm chair travelers with you both.  It sounds just wonderful.  Happy days and smooth seas,

Ilene and Andy

I was concern about shipping bags. So I UPS three to FL and came with two more. Figured a month in FL and cruising I needed a few things. One bag was for CA. coastal and Paris clothes. One for shoes and bathroom. I guess if you shipped five you have four for plane.

i am not sure where all my dresses are going as the closet is much smaller than the one on Oceania and it a great height for short me.mine get a rolling rack  for dinner clothes.

the carribbean warm and sunny.little rocky tonight. Tomorrow Pusser Pub for lunch with a crew friend and dinner with two more. 

A little Mia time with friends then another warm cruise before CA.

robin

WOW - this sounds like such an adventure.  We'll be boarding on January 6, look forward to seeing you onboard.

in the meantime, have a great Hawaiian cruise.  I've always wanted to do that!!

Good Morning Anne Marie and Keith. We are happy to see you are doing another W.C. So are Ray and I, however it is only the last segment, Cape Town to Monte Carlo. Going to Kwandwe Fish River Safari Camp for 5 nights before we board on the 13th. We will be looking forward to seeing Cheetas on this safari.

In the mean time I will enjoy reading your blog once again, building our anticipation till we  board.

P.S. love the color of you new luggage.

Cheers,

Pat and Ray

Wishing you both a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. I look forward to see you in LA on January 13 to begin a new World Cruise adventure.

I just did a Rivercruise on Mozart BTB Vienna. It was wonderful and I am sure you will love it. So different from ocean cruising.

Regards

Elisabeth

Am looking forward to sharing your wonderful cruise with you by reading your blog. Have a great time and just ENJOY. Sounds perfect to me. Elaine

Greetings from Beverly Hills, California.

Thank you LeeAnne, liptastic, Ilene and Andy, 8dimsum, Pam, Pat & Ray, Elisabeth and Elaine.

Pam; we look forward to sailing with you on the January 6 cruise.  We love the January 6 itinerary with such lovely ports.

Pat & Ray: it will be great to be sailing with you two again on the Cape Town to Monte Carlo segment.  The last time we sailed together was four years ago on the 2015 World Cruise.

Elisabeth: We look forward to sailing with you again and look forward to seeing you on January 13 on-board Serenity.  We look forward to hearing about your experiences on the river cruise.

Robin:  good luck with the suitcases and once on-board with the packing.  Since we have stayed in the same category, many times and on most of the long cruises we have become adept at knowing where to places all our items and maximizing the space.  The only difference to the room since we were on-board in October is the removal of the Television from inside the wall unit as the new flat screen television has been hung over the couch.  Although it is not deep, we plan to utilize the space vacated by the television for something.

Today was a travel day as we flew to Los Angeles in the morning.  While first class was full, the coach section was less than 50% of capacity.  My experience is that business travel slows significantly this time of year and tourist travel slows down with many traveling later in the month for Christmas and New Years. 

The good news is we left on time and we landed forty five minutes early.  As expected the gate was not available and the long story short we arrived to a different gate about the time we were originally scheduled to arrive.  Yes, we sat on the plane for forty five minutes.

In all our years of traveling we have only not have our luggage show up two times.  Thankfully that was not the case today.  With that said we did have a first.

While we were at the airline lounge waiting for our flight I checked the app and it showed that our luggage was loaded on an aircraft.  While that sounds nice it was not our aircraft.  It had mistakenly been loaded on the flight before our flight for Los Angeles which left three hours before our flight. When we landed I checked the app and it showed that our luggage was being held in the customer service baggage area.  Thankfully it was there

We used one of the Crystal transfers to take us from LAX over to our hotel.

This time around we chose to stay in Beverly Hills where we last stayed before the start of 2008 World Cruise.

When we sailed out of Los Angeles in 2017 on the family cruise and in May on Crystal Symphony, we stayed at Disneyland.  Over the years we have also stayed in other areas including Long Beach, Santa Monica, Redondo Beach, San Pedro (one time), Marina del Ray and even near Los Angeles International Airport.

From time-to-time on this board (there was a recent thread) and on other CC boards people will ask for recommendations for places to stay.  Personally I don’t think one choice fits all.  It comes down to a range of factors including the time of year, the number of days for the stay, whether you have been here before, things you like to do, whether you have a vehicle for your stay and budget.  We like to vary location.

This is a special adventure for us and I selected the Beverly Hills Peninsula Hotel.  We looked closely at the fairly new Waldorf Astoria and Four Seasons but the winner was the Peninsula.  LOL.  Our room has a unique feature and that is this amazing outdoor patio. We look forward to enjoying some breakfasts and sitting out there in the afternoon and evening.  

DSC00010.thumb.jpg.7c2f00f009dad01587cb078bc0ba541d.jpgDSC00008.thumb.jpg.84c99977bd8c3f809215b61291bbaade.jpgDSC00007.thumb.jpg.7a917cb4b3ed362a6fcba15dc4171336.jpgDSC00006.thumb.jpg.14d996d7448e34acb3a52ac50e3f7ada.jpg

The Blog has been updated.  We are very excited to be in Beverly Hills and are thrilled to start this adventure.

Keith

Welcome to my neck of the woods, Keith! Yes, the Beverly Hills Peninsula is a lovely hotel. Glad the weather was good today, but tomorrow is supposed to rain! 😞

Amazing how these luggage apps are helping. If not for those notifications, you would have no idea your luggage wasn't going to be on the carousel! That could have made for some very tense moments until you figured out where it was.

Keith,

I join the rest in my zest to follow your world cruise blog as well.  With all your world cruises and sailing on Crystal outside of world cruises, I am surprised you are not a Centurion member yet.  Will you hit the milestone during these 157 days?

I really enjoy living vicariously through you.  I could never leave home for that long because I'd miss my kitties too much.

<-------One of the kitties in question.

We love the Peninsula BH too and will be staying there before our cruise in January and later this week as well. Looking forward to hearing about your time in LA pre cruise.

Cruise Critic Post

Thank you LeeAnne, andydates, fyree39, Nancy and Shirin.

LeeAnne…. it is funny you mentioned the app because that is what I said to my wife.  The good news with the app is that you can confirm that luggage has been loaded on the flight and also that it has come off the flight.  A couple of years ago on a flight coming home I knew that our luggage didn’t make the flight.  This saved me time after getting off the flight as we went directly to the baggage customer service area and didn’t waste time standing at the baggage claim area.  The luggage was delivered to our home later that evening.  Similarly we knew before boarding yesterday’s flight that our luggage was on the earlier flight.  Upon arrival we went directly to the baggage customer service area.  Our flight arrived to terminal 5 but as it turned out when we got to the customer service area at terminal 5 we were told it was at Terminal 4.  Thankfully it is a couple minute walk so we made it over there to claim the luggage.  In addition to me knowing about the situation ahead of time once we landed I received a text and an e-mail notification about the luggage.

We really lucked out with the weather today.  Although the forecast called for 40 to 60 percent chance of rain over a couple of hour period this morning we had no rain.  It was in the 50’s and a little overcast when we took our first walk and by afternoon in the 60’s with sunshine.

Candidates….We will be celebrating a couple of milestones on this adventure.  Stay tuned.

Fyree39….It is for the reason you mentioned about the kitties that we have not gotten a dog.  We have never had a dog and I do want one and would like to have a Golden Retriever as they are great with kids (the grandchildren) and like to be walked (we like to walk).  However, we can’t do this until we cut back on our travel.  In the interim we take great pleasure with the Golden Retriever and the Australian Shepherd that our son and his family have when we visit them.

We have enjoyed the past 24 hours in Beverly Hills.  Before dinner last evening  we took along walk including walking Rodeo Drive.  Many people were out and about and we enjoyed seeing the Christmas and Chanukah decorations.

Dinner was at the Roof Garden restaurant located outside on the top floor of the hotel.  Gas heaters are located near the tables to keep guest warm.  Service and Food was amazing.

The staff at the hotel is terrific.  They are very efficient, attentive and quick to respond to any items.  When we called the front desk the call was immediately answered and staff was sent up to the room within minutes to take care of some items for the room.

We had breakfast in our room before we got ready for the start of the day.

Our goal for today was to pick up some items that we need for this adventure that we could not ship and didn’t want to take on the flight.  This included various liquids , batteries and a few other items.  We have no tours planned during our stay this week.

As they say mission accomplished.  We purchased all but a couple of items today over the course of two different walks.

We enjoyed lunch at Italy located at Westfield Century CIty.  This is an Italian Market with restaurants, cafe, counter selling food and wine and a cooking school.

Anne Marie is half Italian and as we passed by various counters she would point out the food and reminisce about the wonderful meals that her Italian Nana (who lived with her family along with her grandfather) would prepare each night for the entire family.

In the afternoon we went out again for a couple of hours for along walk.  We walked Wilshire and Rodeo Drive and other side streets.

We took advantage of the beautiful patio and enjoyed wine and fruit later in the day.

Blog is posted.

Keith

On 12/13/2018 at 9:03 AM, ctjon said:

Wow - as I'm sure most here are - very jealous

Very.

Safe travels. Happy holidays.  I look forward to all your wonderful photos and posts

eileen

That hotel looks beautiful. I'm sure you'll have a lovely stay.

That Italian Market is called Eataly (for Eat and Italy) - there are 40 locations around the work.  Lidia Bastianich is one of the partners, if you've ever seen her on TV.  

And for those who aren't Facebook Crystal people:  Keith and Marie were featured in a Facebook ad placed by Crystal.  It was nice to see their smiling faces

We know stars!!!!   :classic_angry:

I am guessing hotel here. Sounds like the Wiltshire or the one that begins within M. Both easy walks fo us.

i Luke the BH Hotel,as I can safely walk alone.

Taking a short break before we go out again so I though this was a good time to post.

Thank you Eileen, Pam sierrafloridacruise, and Jonathan

We continue to enjoy our time in Beverly Hills.

We had dinner at a Mediterranean restaurant last evening which features kabobs and panini wraps.  Food was good and quantity too large so we didn’t eat it all.  We were looking for something casual and this fit the bill.

We enjoy walking around downtown areas this time of year all lit up for the holidays.  When we have stayed in Miami this time of year and walked Brickell we would enjoy the lights and Beverly Hills is all lit up at night.  I would say Beverly Hills has a lot more lights than Miami.  After dinner we walked for quite awhile and enjoyed the displays.  Lots of people out and about and even on a weeknight the restaurants looked very busy.

The hotel continues to amaze.  The staff is friendly, attentive, and professional.  Call the reception desk and within one ring the telephone is answered.  Ask for assistance with something that necessitates sending someone to the room they appear in minutes.  When we arrived to the room on Sunday there was a very nice fruit plate on the coffee table.  Arrived back to the room yesterday and an entire new fruit plate had been placed in the room even though there was quite a lot of fruit remaining from the first day.  Ordered room service and the door bell rang precisely at the time we asked for it.  Room cleaned and later in the day turn down service all done at the requested times.  This hotel runs a smooth operation.

Today, we picked up a few more items we will need for the cruise.  We will pick up the final items during the Holiday Cruise during our stop in Honolulu.  We don’t have a tour planned for that day.  When we were there in May on-board Symphony we took a wonderful private tour booked with Crystal Cruises with the focus on Pearl Harbor.  We have another tour planned when we stop there in January as part of the World Cruise.

Today we visited the Beverly Hills Hilton Hotel where we stayed and Crystal hosted the World Cruise Gala prior to the start of World Cruise 2008. 

We also stopped by one of the newest hotels in Beverly Hills; The Waldorf Astoria to check it out.

I am happy with the hotel we selected but certainly lots of great options.

Weather continues to be nice.  We wear jackets and that is nice with the low in the 50's (F).  This time of the year the low could be in the 40's.  High today will are 60's.  Tomorrows high forecasted for low 70's.  

We amassed lots of miles and steps yesterday and are on track to achieve the same results today.

Last nights entree.  Again, more food than we needed.

IMG_1522.thumb.jpg.afaf4a063060ff948001ea3c37bea0a2.jpg

A couple of photos of the outside of the Hotel from last evening.

IMG_1525.thumb.jpg.1cf494d63b1087eeb261c45cf0483161.jpg

IMG_1524.thumb.jpg.d136b8ef4e4ff6bb5178b045b3f00720.jpg

I didn't take photos of the Beverly Hills Hilton.  These are photos of the Waldorf Astoria.

IMG_1529.thumb.jpg.366fcfcce5a4b057dfce66fac271d225.jpg

IMG_1530.thumb.jpg.50a5882f30d8829f35e3f945c6a79db7.jpg

IMG_1531.thumb.jpg.6d4f7840abd7e761d188105df8e4dabc.jpg

This is a quieter time at the hotel in terms of guests staying over but that will change in a few days.  

With that said the dining and other venues are busy including the bar lounge and the area where they serve a formal tea three times each day and that is completely booked through the end of this year.  

For this evening I have changed our dining reservations to an Italian Restaurant since this was recommended from someone on our blog (keep the comments coming) and the on the day we arrived by the manager of the reception desk.  I had thought about it a couple of months ago and went with a different dining venue.  

More tomorrow.

I'll update the blog in a couple of hours.

Keith

So happy I found this. I get to travel along with you now. And dream about doing a trip like this when I retire.

I have followed all your blogs for several years  very enjoyable.  I'm not a Crystal cruiser but enjoy reading blogs from many people across various lines.

Yours are especially entertaining with the pictures.

Judy