Why is it so hard to get a refund?

Cruise Junky

Just back from Cuba cruise on Azamara Journey and I can assure you that you will enjoy your onboard experience!

Confortable room (yes the shower is small but we managed)

Attentive crew,excellent food,enjoyable entertainment 

well organized excursions (some guides better than others)

entering and exiting Cuba was a breeze,no long lines and welcoming Cuban authorities.

• Like 1

I made my final payment on an upcoming cruise that was credited on December 4.  The monthly bill came and it was paid. I noticed the payment amount was charged again on December 15.  Why?  Is it my incompetence on my travel agent's part?    Azamara will not even talk to me about it.   Only the travel agent can deal with them on payments.  Anyway I immediately called my credit card company and put it in dispute for a double charge.  Never had anything like this happen before.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wheelhouse said:

I made my final payment on an upcoming cruise that was credited on December 4.  The monthly bill came and it was paid. I noticed the payment amount was charged again on December 15.  Why?  Is it my incompetence on my travel agent's part?    Azamara will not even talk to me about it.   Only the travel agent can deal with them on payments.  Anyway I immediately called my credit card company and put it in dispute for a double charge.  Never had anything like this happen before.  

Putting it in dispute is always a good idea if something doesn't make sense. Until you know whether it is Azamara's fault or the fault of your travel agent, why not call your TA and then let us know how it happened.

Edited by tgg

1 minute ago, tgg said:

Until you know whether it is Azamara's fault or the fault of your travel agent, why not call your TA and then let us know how it happened.

Even if the TA accidently put thru another charge to Azamara for the OP's cruise, can't understand how or why Azamara would charge the credit card when there should be a zero balance at Azamara and no reason to charge the OP.

On 12/22/2018 at 8:42 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

The ship is nothing like shoreside! You’ll see that once you get onboard!

That is Azamra's truly redeeming quality. The ship's staff and crew make up for all the mess that happens shoreside. If they developed a shoreside staff half as good as the ones on board the ships, Azamara would be a remarkable cruise line. In actuality, the shoreside side is getting worse and much harder to deal with, a real shame.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wheelhouse said:

So I checked my card balance today and not only did Azamara refund the double charge but the card company charged it back too giving me a double refund.  I called and had the charge back removed.  Hopefully this will resolve the issue.

If a double charge has been double refunded, do you still have your booking?

4 hours ago, Shawnino said:

If a double charge has been double refunded, do you still have your booking?

The booking is still there on the Azamara website.  And the second credit (by my card company) now has been recharged.  So I am even and hope this is the end of it.  As rallydave said it doesn't make sense that even if the TA erred in calling in the payment twice (and eleven days apart to boot) that Azamara would accept another payment for a cruise that was already fully paid.  

• 5 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:26 AM, Zwaantje said:

Similar Problem for me. I've canceled an excurcion for a March cruise. Payed by Master Card. After two weeks - no refund. I've write to the organisation in Germany. After another week No answer, no refund.

Any tipp whom I could contact to get my money back? Or is it the normal duration?

Thanks for any advise.

Update:

Master Card feels not responsible. They say I had to clarify with the cruise line directly (maybe other legislation in Germany?)

I wrote to god and the world, but never any reaction.

My TA received an answer after some time. "They received my cancelation, the refund will take 4 until 6 weeks" I didn't understand why, but I have waited.

Suprise, suprise, after 6 weeks nothing has happened. I've started again writing: e-mails, Facebook... to everybody who could be responsible. But absolutly nothing. Even my TA gets no response.

2 months since cancelation now. I'm very annoyed and already fed up with Azamara before cruising.

I still not know why it is so hard to pay a refund and never ever had such problems with a simply and commonplace process. 

Has anybody an idea what I can do in addition?

On 1/26/2019 at 10:20 AM, Zwaantje said:

Update:

Master Card feels not responsible. They say I had to clarify with the cruise line directly (maybe other legislation in Germany?)

I wrote to god and the world, but never any reaction.

My TA received an answer after some time. "They received my cancelation, the refund will take 4 until 6 weeks" I didn't understand why, but I have waited.

Suprise, suprise, after 6 weeks nothing has happened. I've started again writing: e-mails, Facebook... to everybody who could be responsible. But absolutly nothing. Even my TA gets no response.

2 months since cancelation now. I'm very annoyed and already fed up with Azamara before cruising.

I still not know why it is so hard to pay a refund and never ever had such problems with a simply and commonplace process. 

Has anybody an idea what I can do in addition?

Hi Zwaantje, 

I'm sorry you're so frustrated! I would be as well.  Tomorrow I'll ask around for you to see what has happened in your case.

Do I understand correctly that you booked your cruise with us through an agency in Germany, then booked your tours directly with us online, subsequently cancelled a tour (or more) and are still waiting for a refund for the tours? 

Please Note: I am the CBO, and not empowered to 'fix' anything, but I can usually find the right human being who can fix or explain. Tomorrow (Monday) let me see what I can find out for you.

Dear Bonnie, 

soooo glad that you will try to support me. Until know I felt completly ignored.

For clarification: It concerns the cruise March 9th from Buenos Aires. Yes, I've booked the cruise with a German agency. And yes, then I've booked the tour (only one in Santos) directly online in Azamara voyage planner.

What maybe (but I think not) make it a bit more complicated: Because of a huge price decrease I've canceled my first booking and rebooked it to the better price. Same I did with the Santos tour. Of course it was paid each time, so two times in total. Cancellation and rebooking of the tour was November 27th. Until now no refund and nobody (without you now) react somehow on the thousends of my cries for help. 😉 So really thank you again very much.

Hi Zwaantje,

Our Customer Service management is standing by to help you.

Please email them at AzamaraCustomerService@Azamara.com.

Explain what you've explained to me and be sure to include your full name and the booking ID number. 

Hopefully this can be corrected soon!