Edge - Dance Music, Live Bands & DJ's ?

bandp407

DH & I are booked on the Edge, end of March. We are seasoned cruisers who enjoy a variety of dancing in the evenings. The reviews I have read say nothing  about the evening music . The copies of Celebrity today, that Adam has been so kind to post do not appear to have very much in the way of evening dance music. Can anyone who has been or is onboard share any info.

Many thanks!

We too dance Ballroom and Latin, and will miss it when we board Edge this Sunday.

My daughter, Valentina, is the currently the activities manager on the Edge and she has said repeatedly there are no slots for Ballroom/Latin dancing in the daily schedules. A shame, but it's not going to ruin our cruise. The silent discos can be fun, so we'll enjoy those.

Esprit, Enjoy your cruise. Please talk to your daughter and tell her to please incorporate some slots for ballroom and latin.  It will not ruin cruise but will probably keep me from booking again.  We are not booked until March. Please report back if you find anywhere to dance.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Esprit said:

We too dance Ballroom and Latin, and will miss it when we board Edge this Sunday.

My daughter, Valentina, is the currently the activities manager on the Edge and she has said repeatedly there are no slots for Ballroom/Latin dancing in the daily schedules. A shame, but it's not going to ruin our cruise.

Could you ask about trivia?  No trivia, no ballroom means no Edge for us.

• Like 1

They instituted trivia yesterday.  Two games perday.   Multiple choice. Twenty seconds per question.   Device (tablet or smartphone required). Lame questions and some had wrong anwers listed as correct answers.   Passengers urged to form teams but only one prize per team.   Venue was freezing.   I give it a C-

no other games so far. No name that tune, either

Edited by cruisestitch

I think people have to remember that THE EDGE is Celebrity's way of REDEFINING the cruise experience. When the ship and the whole concept was announced you pretty much KNEW what it was going to be. I REALLY think people need to THROW OUT the traditional cruising expectations and think along the lines of what you would get if you went to any of the trendy hotels in South Beach, Miami (  W Hotel,SLS, Delano) and THAT'S what the whole concept and experience will be on THE EDGE.

Along that lines I NEVER expected to see Ballroom dancing to be offered on The Edge. EDM (Electronic Dance Music) Latin; even maybe Swing Revival but DEFINITELY NOT Ballroom!  

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bandp407 said:

Thanks for the replies- pretty much what I thought based on the Celebrity today that was posted. Almost at final payment & really thinking if this ship is for us.

Esprit - enjoy your cruise & report back if you can.

We have the same problem, so many things have changed and we are not sure if we want to sail on her in March.  Final payment due this month.....still trying to decide if we go or not.  We got a great price but my DH loves nice music in the evening  before or after dinner to enjoy a drink to.  We were also hoping they would have improved the shows, apparently not.  😞

So what are the daytime activities...besides sitting on our Enclosed Veranda or meeting creatures in EDEN,..?

Yes we love the spa, solarium, thermal suites, gym and outdoor pool..

Rooftop looks nice too,.but  is there more???

Will there be  wine tasting, cooking expos,  guest  lecturers, concerts in the lobby area, music in Cafe Baccio???..

Looking forward to our cruise...other than the boom boom boom...but curious about daytime life on board!

ps...thanks  again to Wonderman, Adam' s review,  I just took a look through the daily he posted..I did see some classical guitar, mini performances   and more quiet  activities at various spots.  We will just have to  look through  carefully each day for the activities we may enjoy..

But it also seems  X has integrated  more sales pitches into the listings as if they are part of the daily activities...We are not interested!

Bandp407, yes I am on board, first 7 night cruise.

there was an Elite wine tasting event.  No scotch tasting, bourbon tasting, wine blending, etc.  maybe in the future?

no cookIng expo

there may have been a guest lecture on the sea day.  I’ll have to go back to the daily to check.

music in Cafe al Bacio is only piped in.  Christmas meets hip-hop, standards remixed to a heavy beat.  No live music.

haven’t heard anything I would describe as classical guitar.  I will try to seek her out.  i also haven’t heard “The Fringe Collective” described as jazz and soul.  There was a loud and fairly weird foursome “The Reckless Charms”. playing one afternoon in Eden.  I left after two numbers.

there is a pay-to-enter gameshow/trivia/contest of some sort every night.  Entry fee $20 as I recall.

Celebrity Life Acitivites: adult coloring, origami, knitting.  I’m not making this stuff up.

4 hours ago, kwokpot said:

I think people have to remember that THE EDGE is Celebrity's way of REDEFINING the cruise experience. When the ship and the whole concept was announced you pretty much KNEW what it was going to be. I REALLY think people need to THROW OUT the traditional cruising expectations and think along the lines of what you would get if you went to any of the trendy hotels in South Beach, Miami (  W Hotel,SLS, Delano) and THAT'S what the whole concept and experience will be on THE EDGE.

Along that lines I NEVER expected to see Ballroom dancing to be offered on The Edge. EDM (Electronic Dance Music) Latin; even maybe Swing Revival but DEFINITELY NOT Ballroom!  

Once upon a time, they tried to remake X into a Las Vegas resort at sea....even brought in a new Executive Chef from out  there,, she didn't last.   Then the Cirque themes...then the Miami DJ scene, then endlesss techno piped in music... but very little live music..Failed!

First wave of change,,, introduction of the alcohol packages and perks...drew many cruisers from other cruise lines, most loved Celebrity! This will be the second big wave of change...the South Beach scene???   Certainly will be interesting to try it out,..

The winning X formula over the years  is great  food, excellent service,   a variety of good music..friendly dedicated staff and officers,.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Bandp407, yes I am on board, first 7 night cruise.

there was an Elite wine tasting event.  No scotch tasting, bourbon tasting, wine blending, etc.  maybe in the future?

no cookIng expo

there may have been a guest lecture on the sea day.  I’ll have to go back to the daily to check.

music in Cafe al Bacio is only piped in.  Christmas meets hip-hop, standards remixed to a heavy beat.  No live music.

haven’t heard anything I would describe as classical guitar.  I will try to seek her out.  i also haven’t heard “The Fringe Collective” described as jazz and soul.  There was a loud and fairly weird foursome “The Reckless Charms”. playing one afternoon in Eden.  I left after two numbers.

there is a pay-to-enter gameshow/trivia/contest of some sort every night.  Entry fee $20 as I recall.

Celebrity Life Acitivites: adult coloring, origami, knitting.  I’m not making this stuff up.

I just pulled the plug and cancelled our March sailing. This ship may be for some, but not us.  Enjoy your remaining time on board Cruisestich & all others onboard. Hopefully the seas are calm & you can enjoy the sounds & views of the sea!

Happy Holidays!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bandp407 said:

I just pulled the plug and cancelled our March sailing. This ship may be for some, but not us.  Enjoy your remaining time on board Cruisestich & all others onboard. Hopefully the seas are calm & you can enjoy the sounds & views of the sea!

Happy Holidays!

Understandable,,..

We are fully booked for Jan..will be nice to see the ship abd esp the spa area,,we are in AQ Class.  But we will book a back up to the Nov  EDGE  cruise just in case..,,.won't decide til we try it...

35 minutes ago, hcat said:

Once upon a time, they tried to remake X into a Las Vegas resort at sea....even brought in a new Executive Chef from out  there,, she didn't last.   Then the Cirque themes...then the Miami DJ scene, then endlesss techno piped in music... but very little live music..Failed!

First wave of change,,, introduction of the alcohol packages and perks...drew many cruisers from other cruise lines, most loved Celebrity! This will be the second big wave of change...the South Beach scene???   Certainly will be interesting to try it out,..

The winning X formula over the years  is great  food, excellent service,   a variety of good music..friendly dedicated staff and officers,.

I remember those changes which I LOVED very much! Cruise ship dance clubs are known to play HORRIBLE music since they need to cater to a vast range of ages and tastes; which means music you would NEVER hear in a current danceclub. I get sick and tired of hearing the Electric Slide and SHOUT! 

I also remember my first Celebrity Cruise on the BRAND NEW MILLENNIUM in 2000. The design was a game changer in it's modern design. And then they did it again when we boarded the Solstice in 2009! Can't wait until I board the next gamechanger, The Edge, this Sunday!   

Edited by kwokpot

• 2 weeks later...

No music for ballroom dancing! Then, my dance group won’t book Edge. Cunard ships remain to be our first choice for ballroom dancing. Our group of 110 people (40% are ballroom dancers) just came back from Queen Mary 2. We danced every night to the pre-recorded and live orchestra band music.

Edited by CruiseLady88
  • Like 1