Edge Main Dining Rooms

Host Anne

39 minutes ago, kearney said:

Another observation. The 'specialty' restaurant items were three different starters and three different entrees.... these items did not change and were the same when we returned the the restaurant. Now the other items on the main menu did change... except for those items... like salmon.... were always on the menu. I had thought that the specialty restaurant items would vary from day to day.  With that in mind there is little reason to try a different restaurant except for the atmosphere. I was a bit disappointed in seeing the same options.... however there were a few I loved enough to order a second time.

I think someone else explained this earlier but there are three segments to the MDR menus. One is the restaurant-specific items and they do not change but they are different in each restaurant. Then you have the Celebrity Classics (aka Always Available) like steak, salmon, etc. and those also do not change. Finally, you have the normal Celebrity "Signature" menu, which does change nightly and based on posts here is apparently the same as you would find on the MDR menus on other ships.

I'm no really sure why you said "there is little reason to try a different restaurant". The reason is to try the restaurant-specific dishes.

1 minute ago, MisterBill99 said:

I think someone else explained this earlier but there are three segments to the MDR menus. One is the restaurant-specific items and they do not change but they are different in each restaurant. Then you have the Celebrity Classics (aka Always Available) like steak, salmon, etc. and those also do not change. Finally, you have the normal Celebrity "Signature" menu, which does change nightly and based on posts here is apparently the same as you would find on the MDR menus on other ships.

I'm no really sure why you said "there is little reason to try a different restaurant". The reason is to try the restaurant-specific dishes.

The restaurant specific items were three which did not change. I ended up repeating because the other two options did not appeal to me. That is what I meant.... we mixed it up across the four dinning room options... and while I really like the different locations...all very attractive.... I ended up repeating twice... which I don't think I have ever done on another cruise. That was the only disappointment. They were all lovely and felt more intimate that the usual main dining room. I just had hoped that the specific restaurants would have a menu change too

55 minutes ago, kearney said:

The restaurant specific items were three which did not change. I ended up repeating because the other two options did not appeal to me. That is what I meant.... we mixed it up across the four dining room options... and while I really like the different locations...all very attractive.... I ended up repeating twice... which I don't think I have ever done on another cruise. That was the only disappointment. They were all lovely and felt more intimate that the usual main dining room. I just had hoped that the specific restaurants would have a menu change too

So shouldn't your point should be that there is little reason to return to the same restaurant a second time, not that "there is little reason to try a different restaurant"? And I still don't understand the issue. The restaurants all have the normal Celebrity MDR selections every day, and those change. No one is saying you need to order the restaurant-specific dishes, which wouldn't even be an option on other ships.

I would definitely agree that there was an issue if your only choices were the Classic choices and the same restaurant-specific dishes each night. But it seems like they've add MORE choices than other ships, not less.

Edited by MisterBill99

This is the reason you want Select Dining. You have the opportunity to try all 4 Main Dining Rooms with the 3 entrees that are specific to that restaurant.  That gives you a choice of 12 entrees between the 4 restaurants. There are also 6 or 7 entree choices that do change each night. If all you want to select from are the 3 entrees specific to that restaurant you may need to repeat during your cruise. I for one am excited to try the 4 restaurants. Between the smaller size of the restaurant and different decor in each it will almost feel like going to a Specialty Restaurant without the added charge. 

10 hours ago, kearney said:

I am wondering if anyone else who has been on Edge noticed this. We were only asked about allergies once during the trip. It was on the third night. I recall being asked every night when on Royal... and I think... other Celebrity ships...  At one point I asked if there was a way to get low sodium or no salt items and was told that I could look at the menu for the next day and order a low sodium preparation... but I had to do so the day before.... This is tricky when you are eating a a different place each evening. 

Another observation. The 'specialty' restaurant items were three different starters and three different entrees.... these items did not change and were the same when we returned the the restaurant. Now the other items on the main menu did change... except for those items... like salmon.... were always on the menu. I had thought that the specialty restaurant items would vary from day to day.  With that in mind there is little reason to try a different restaurant except for the atmosphere. I was a bit disappointed in seeing the same options.... however there were a few I loved enough to order a second time.

That's odd. I can remember being asked every night in all four restaurants if I had any dietary requirements and my reply was "plenty of food please".

4 hours ago, Esprit said:

That's odd. I can remember being asked every night in all four restaurants if I had any dietary requirements and my reply was "plenty of food please".

Asking seems to be inconcsistent.  We were not asked every night on the Dec  9-16 cruise. In fact, I only recall being asked a couple of times. We had select and went to all 4 MDRs and no specialties.

Edited by ecslady

1 hour ago, ecslady said:

Asking seems to be inconcsistent.  We were not asked every night on the Dec  9-16 cruise. In fact, I only recall being asked a couple of times. We had select and went to all 4 MDRs and no specialties.

I can only help but believe that this will get better over time as the staff finally realizes that passengers are cycling through each of the DR's and not the same one, for the most part.

While I do not know for sure, but it could be that they are still getting used to the new options in dining available, yet not a real excuse for not asking consistently each passenger, especially if they do not recognize them from the night before.

bon appetite and bon voyage