MAY HAVE TO CRUISE ALONE

Thebosn1

I have read through most of the posts regarding sailing alone after one person can't make the trip.  Unfortunately, it looks as if I may be in that situation on my next cruise in April.  Booked for my wife and I but she probably will not be able to go.  I booked this cruise on Horizon SPECIFICALLY to get a Havana cabin.  Occupancy is listed for 2, I may be the only one in there.  I know these cabins are popular (and significantly more expensive), which is why I booked it over a year ago.  

Most previous posts recommend NOT notifying Carnival if one guest is not coming.  Most folks say just show up for boarding and then tell them one person booked in your cabin is not coming.  Has anyone, especially anyone sailing on Horizon, had a problem doing that?  The LAST thing I want is for them to re-assign me because I am alone and losing that Havana.  

I am a very experienced cruiser with Carnival, and I understand that the CAN move me, but I don't want to give them a chance.  I don't want the refund for the downgrade, and yes I understand that I am paying for two people even if one shows up, but I WANT that Havana!!!

Thanks in advance for your info and thoughts, ESPECIALLY anyone that has actually been in this situation.

21 minutes ago, Thebosn1 said:

I have read through most of the posts regarding sailing alone after one person can't make the trip.  Unfortunately, it looks as if I may be in that situation on my next cruise in April.  Booked for my wife and I but she probably will not be able to go.  I booked this cruise on Horizon SPECIFICALLY to get a Havana cabin.  Occupancy is listed for 2, I may be the only one in there.  I know these cabins are popular (and significantly more expensive), which is why I booked it over a year ago.  

Most previous posts recommend NOT notifying Carnival if one guest is not coming.  Most folks say just show up for boarding and then tell them one person booked in your cabin is not coming.  Has anyone, especially anyone sailing on Horizon, had a problem doing that?  The LAST thing I want is for them to re-assign me because I am alone and losing that Havana.  

I am a very experienced cruiser with Carnival, and I understand that the CAN move me, but I don't want to give them a chance.  I don't want the refund for the downgrade, and yes I understand that I am paying for two people even if one shows up, but I WANT that Havana!!!

Thanks in advance for your info and thoughts, ESPECIALLY anyone that has actually been in this situation.

They do not reassign you at boarding because someone does not show up.  They also NEVER move someone who sailing solo and is booked into a 2 person occupancy cabin from that 2 person cabin.  There aren't one person cabins.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, champagne123 said:

Sorry your wife cannot go..what a bummer.  Do you have a friend or relative that would be able to take her place?  I mean, you already paid for it, right? 

Yes, it is a bummer.  Taking someone else in her place is a nice thought, but I only sail with her.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

They do not reassign you at boarding because someone does not show up.  They also NEVER move someone who sailing solo and is booked into a 2 person occupancy cabin from that 2 person cabin.  There aren't one person cabins.

Right, I figured that.  I just thought they may try to downgrade me and re-sell the Havana.  That's why most people are saying not to say anything ahead of time, just show up at boarding and tell them then.  Thanks. 

Just now, Thebosn1 said:

Right, I figured that.  I just thought they may try to downgrade me and re-sell the Havana.  That's why most people are saying not to say anything ahead of time, just show up at boarding and tell them then.  Thanks. 

The reason people said no to notify ahead of time is  for those sailing solo on a 3+ occupancy cabin or for those traveling with others who are going to be refunded their share of the cruise fare.  You (the purchaser)  are paying for two either way and you will automatically be refunded the port fees and taxes.  If you were in a 3+ and 2 cancelled, you are subject to being moved.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Thebosn1 said:

And you are going to love the Havana area.  The lounge is beautiful.  

40 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

The reason people said no to notify ahead of time is  for those sailing solo on a 3+ occupancy cabin or for those traveling with others who are going to be refunded their share of the cruise fare.  You (the purchaser)  are paying for two either way and you will automatically be refunded the port fees and taxes.  If you were in a 3+ and 2 cancelled, you are subject to being moved.

Great, that makes sense thank you.

OP: since they won't move you because you are in a 2 passenger cabin, and you are more than 90 days out, you will only lose the deposit for your wife, however it will cause the cruise line to reprice your cabin for a single traveler. If you can get another person to take her place you may lose her deposit + pay a 50.00 change fee, but each person can then pay their own. 

Upshot: CALL Carnival and give them the scenario, so they can advise you the price for one person in the cabin vs changing one name. You want to do this sooner rather then later because the longer you wait, the greater the penalty is financially.

Good luck! 

On 12/15/2018 at 9:25 AM, Thebosn1 said:

Personally, I would not tell them ahead of time.  You will have to pay for two people anyway, so there seems no good reason to move you.  You paid two fares for a two person room.  Easy peasy...

I had to do the same thing in September, and I just showed up at the pier and everything was taken care of. CCL refunded the port charges and fee's for the PAX that didn't come to the CC that I paid with. This was my 4th solo cruise. The best part about sailing alone is meeting people that I probably wouldn't have talked to otherwise. I hope you have a GREAT cruise!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 4:03 PM, heffy2 said:

I had to do the same thing in September, and I just showed up at the pier and everything was taken care of. CCL refunded the port charges and fee's for the PAX that didn't come to the CC that I paid with. This was my 4th solo cruise. The best part about sailing alone is meeting people that I probably wouldn't have talked to otherwise. I hope you have a GREAT cruise!

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for.