Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
suec12

NO TRIVIA?

Recommended Posts

I have not read all the posts in this section but I did read a few this morning and saw a mention of no trivia on the Edge? Is this true?ūüėā

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They might as well not have had it. There was no trivia for the first three days of the seven day cruise. Then they instituted trivia. Twice a day.

 

The category of the first game was ‚Äúbreak out male pop stars.‚Ä̬†Considering the average age of the room was around 65, no one knew any of the breakout pop stars, ¬†no Surprise. ¬†The winner admitted to randomly guessing.

 

It was held in a room in which you could hang meat, ¬†it was That cold. ¬†You had to have an Electronic device to play it. A tablet or a smart phone. The questions are on¬†your phone and you had 20 seconds in which to choose from for multiple choice answers. They encourage you to create a team of six if someone didn‚Äôt have a tablet to play on. They also said ‚Äúthis is so wonderful that you complete in your room, you can play it at the pool‚ÄĚ. I said, that‚Äôs not wonderful at all. And it wasn‚Äôt. The room was so cold that I did play, all by myself,¬†sitting at ¬†Bacio. And when I won, and went in to claim my prize, they tried¬†to say ‚Äúoh you have to be present to win. ‚Äú But of course nowhere had they said that earlier. ¬† One prize¬†for the whole team of six. Not even six lousy little cheesy prizes, one prize for the team. ¬†The questions, as prepared by Miami, had mistakes, both spelling mistakes and wrong answers.

 

There was no name that tune, or Scattagories, or Tribond.  Just their two lame trivias a  day,

 

I was told that this new format was a direct order from LLP I don’t know what she has against trivia, maybe she never wins. But she must hate it a lot.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, cruisestitch said:

They might as well not have had it. There was no trivia for the first three days of the seven day cruise. Then they instituted trivia. Twice a day.

 

The category of the first game was ‚Äúbreak out male pop stars.‚Ä̬†Considering the average age of the room was around 65, no one knew any of the breakout pop stars, ¬†no Surprise. ¬†The winner admitted to randomly guessing.

 

It was held in a room in which you could hang meat, ¬†it was That cold. ¬†You had to have an Electronic device to play it. A tablet or a smart phone. The questions are on¬†your phone and you had 20 seconds in which to choose from for multiple choice answers. They encourage you to create a team of six if someone didn‚Äôt have a tablet to play on. They also said ‚Äúthis is so wonderful that you complete in your room, you can play it at the pool‚ÄĚ. I said, that‚Äôs not wonderful at all. And it wasn‚Äôt. The room was so cold that I did play, all by myself,¬†sitting at ¬†Bacio. And when I won, and went in to claim my prize, they tried¬†to say ‚Äúoh you have to be present to win. ‚Äú But of course nowhere had they said that earlier. ¬† One prize¬†for the whole team of six. Not even six lousy little cheesy prizes, one prize for the team. ¬†The questions, as prepared by Miami, had mistakes, both spelling mistakes and wrong answers.

 

There was no name that tune, or Scattagories, or Tribond.  Just their two lame trivias a  day,

 

I was told that this new format was a direct order from LLP I don’t know what she has against trivia, maybe she never wins. But she must hate it a lot.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very disappointed about the trivia.  It is always something we enjoy and have often joined a team and met some really fun people.   Hope they reconsider this decision.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, well that didn’t happen. There was no trivia in the Destiination gateway even though I had seen it pre-cruise on the app. The trivia was held in the Club.  10:00 am and 3:00 or 4:00 pm.

 

Often we found that the information seen on the app pre cruise did not match what was actually happening on the cruise itself. Nor did the information on the app match the daily program. That’s definitely a work in progress

Edited by cruisestitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trivia is one of my favorite things on a cruise, and I hope it doesn't go by the wayside. On the Equinox, you collected tickets if you won trivia, and turned them in at the end of the cruise. DH and I both got t-shirts. I find that Princess does a better job at trivia, but I still enjoy it on Celebrity. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah!

 

Trivia is back and in full force...

 

Maybe not 'the way it use to be', but it is back...

 

Just like The Edge, for the most part, not cruising like it use to be...

 

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Yeah!

 

Trivia is back and in full force...

 

Maybe not 'the way it use to be', but it is back...

 

Just like The Edge, for the most part, not cruising like it use to be...

 

bon voyage

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Full force? Four or five games per day last week on Sillhouette

 

two games a day on 3 out of the 7 days on Edge.

 

60-100 players per game last week on Silhouette (10 + teams of six) 

 

the most that that ever played in the Club  was 22.  (Yes, I was counting.)

 

it it just wasn’t anything FUN on Edge.  

 

Respectfully, Bo, you weren’t there and I was.

Edited by cruisestitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See discussion about Trivia on Edge post 1241 on the Vt review thread..I will  try to post a workable link and migrate my own replies here under this topic..I did goigke what they want foljs to use. something used at movue theaters   maybe LLP intends to start making money on this.. always an angle????

 

 

From my google search results;

 

"Latest Buzz

Trivia fans, get ready! For a limited time, join us for TimePlay Trivia Nights at Cineplex on Fridays at 7:30pm at select theatres in the GTA, this November and December.

 

Challenge your friends and other players on movie trivia and never-before-seen categories in TimePlay at Cineplex such as sports, games, TV and much more!

 

Best of all, you’ll be playing for a chance to win $250 plus tons of other great prizes!"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes they did this a couple of nights.  There was a $20 pp entry fee.  You couldn’t play it as a team.  Only as an individual.

 

not interested.

 

I posted this thought elsewhere, but it’s good to add it here. They did not have any activities that really promote meeting new people and creating new friends. They had no pick-up bridge or mahjong games. They had no passenger choir.  They did have activities which promoted looking at your screen all by yourself. Difference in focus. Not fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Discussion starts at post 1239..vts review..I thought this  link below would go to that page but looks like it may go to her page 1....Grrrr!

.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the most enjoyable things about cruising is meeting and getting to know others. We are fortunate to have met some wonderful people through the years who have become dear friends. What a shame it will be if cruising  becomes part of the Zombie culture of staring at a device rather than interacting with live human beings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So this was my post on the other thread and the reply given....

 

Maybe the Moderators can bring the other relevant posts over to the thread

 

..Bottom Line..Seems Trivia Players are now the next Cash Cows for X..MOO!

 

But you can still organize traditional TRIVIA on your own..esp if ypu have an active roll call with devoted players!

 

Sad no more sudoku, crosswords  or news paper summaries!

1
  • ¬†

ecslady   

ecslady
  • ¬†
  • ¬†
  • ¬†
  • ¬†
  • ¬†#1255
  45 minutes ago, hcat said:

What  if you do not have a smart phone or tablet to bring? TRIVIA  in person has been fun and teams are part of the human side of the experience....we are not regulars but enjoy(ed?)stopping in a few times.

 

 For some it is a very important daily activity....just like some love the art auctions, some are into music, shows, dancing, karaoke, socializing at  bars and I like my spa time! 

 

TIMEPLAY sounds like something you can do at home. Anyone try it yet?

.Hope X relents or guests band together to organize their own sessions...just post it on the bulletin board if they have one,???

 

Will there be daily Crossword or Sudoku puzzles available?  We look forward to them each day, along with the printed little News Summaries..hope they are still being done...beats being groped by a Sprite!

 

I was told there is a $15 fee for Timeplay as there are money prices at the end.  Not really sure how it works,  it it sounds progressive.

 

No news summaries.

No daily sudoku or crossword puzzles. At least I didn't find any, and others didn't either.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ma Bell said:

One of the most enjoyable things about cruising is meeting and getting to know others. We are fortunate to have met some wonderful people through the years who have become dear friends. What a shame it will be if cruising  becomes part of the Zombie culture of staring at a device rather than interacting with live human beings.

 

So true..Zombie culture...perfect description ! Oh well...luckily not all will succumb!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was on the 3 day preview and the seven night inaugural. No trivia on the first 3 days. Twice a day in different categories where you use your cellphone or IPad to use the ships WiFi for free, and pick by tapping the question answer, a,b, c, d on your device. You could play individually or as a team. I met some nice people, but the room was cold. It wasn’t that much fun. 

I also played the for fee trivia, timeplay one time. 

Originally it was advertised for $20 dollars, but everyone was charged $15 dollars. First prize was $100, 2nd was $50, and 3rd was $30. It was an individual event played on your device like timed pub trivia. The faster you answered, the more points you earned, incorrect points subtracted points from the total. 

 

It it was a combination of picking the 1-4 question answer options, and putting by swiping on your device, movies from oldest to most recent ( such as DeNiro movies). It was more fun than the other trivia’s, but not worth repeating for me. The activities staff and manager were all very pleasant, and I am sure once they tweak it, will be better on future cruises

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, kk99 said:

I was on the 3 day preview and the seven night inaugural. No trivia on the first 3 days. Twice a day in different categories where you use your cellphone or IPad to use the ships WiFi for free, and pick by tapping the question answer, a,b, c, d on your device. You could play individually or as a team. I met some nice people, but the room was cold. It wasn’t that much fun. 

I also played the for fee trivia, timeplay one time. 

Originally it was advertised for $20 dollars, but everyone was charged $15 dollars. First prize was $100, 2nd was $50, and 3rd was $30. It was an individual event played on your device like timed pub trivia. The faster you answered, the more points you earned, incorrect points subtracted points from the total. 

 

It it was a combination of picking the 1-4 question answer options, and putting by swiping on your device, movies from oldest to most recent ( such as DeNiro movies). It was more fun than the other trivia’s, but not worth repeating for me. The activities staff and manager were all very pleasant, and I am sure once they tweak it, will be better on future cruises

But if  costs to play and uses a device that you could enjoy at home. ..why bother????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that much of the fun is meeting and interacting with people, not tablets! We've always looked forward to it on our cruises - but without the people involved, it would be huge miss! Come on Edge, don't try to fix what wasn't broken!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would believe a very good remedy for not 'playing' trivia by our lonesomes, is to post on the public message board about a meeting place to play or ask GS to make an announcement (printed or on the TV) about where people can meet up to play the game.

 

I Am sure, once they see that passengers want to play collectively, then minds will change on how to approach this.

 

Let the groundswell begin so those who have the ability to overall organize something will take further action in that direction.

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Your solution, Bo, has a couple of difficulties.

 

First, the "community bulletin board".  We have all seen these in the area of Guest Relations, with such things as unhosted bridge, Mahjongg, veteran's get together and service club get together.   On Edge, it's an electronic display near Guest Relations.  I will give it a chance and say that it is a work in progress, but on the cruise I just departed this was the situation.  First, I asked if we could put up a notice about pick-up bridge games.  That required the approval of the Guest Relations department and the Event coordinator, who would have to find a place for us to play.  It turns out, there was no place.  The schedule was all "fixed" and there was no way to put in any additional event and, as always, we were told that everything is on the app, and nothing could be added by passengers.  I mentioned the existence "community bulletin board"' to several passengers, none of whom even knew that there was such a thing.  There was no mention of it anywhere and if you didn't happen to glance up at it while standing at that particular Guest Relations desk, you never would have seen it.  

 

Second, where to hold passenger-based trivia.  There are no "extra" spaces on Edge -- there is one meeting room, which as I said, was controlled by the Events manager.  This ship lacks places like a Passport Bar, Cellar Masters, Ensemble, etc.  No one could come up with any suitable place for us to play cards, and I think the same problem would occur if passengers tried to organize their own trivia or name that tune or scattegories.  There's just no place to have them.  You might get to use the meeting room once or twice during a cruise, but for a daily (or twice daily, or thrice daily) trivia, there's not much chance.  

 

 

Edited by cruisestitch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Your solution, Bo, has a couple of difficulties.

 

First, the "community bulletin board".  We have all seen these in the area of Guest Relations, with such things as unhosted bridge, Mahjongg, veteran's get together and service club get together.   On Edge, it's an electronic display near Guest Relations.  I will give it a chance and say that it is a work in progress, but on the cruise I just departed this was the situation.  First, I asked if we could put up a notice about pick-up bridge games.  That required the approval of the Guest Relations department and the Event coordinator, who would have to find a place for us to play.  It turns out, there was no place.  The schedule was all "fixed" and there was no way to put in any additional event and, as always, we were told that everything is on the app, and nothing could be added by passengers.  I mentioned the existence "community bulletin board"' to several passengers, none of whom even knew that there was such a thing.  There was no mention of it anywhere and if you didn't happen to glance up at it while standing at that particular Guest Relations desk, you never would have seen it.  

 

Second, where to hold passenger-based trivia.  There are no "extra" spaces on Edge -- there is one meeting room, which as I said, was controlled by the Events manager.  This ship lacks places like a Passport Bar, Cellar Masters, Ensemble, etc.  No one could come up with any suitable place for us to play cards, and I think the same problem would occur if passengers tried to organize their own trivia or name that tune or scattegories.  There's just no place to have them.  You might get to use the meeting room once or twice during a cruise, but for a daily (or twice daily, or thrice daily) trivia, there's not much chance.  

 

 

Exactly right!  You can't just form a 40-50 group to play trivia on your own.....the ship would have to provide the space.

I'll say it again...I am very disappointed about the trivia.  It's just something we've always enjoyed on Celebrity and Princess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Your solution, Bo, has a couple of difficulties.

 

First, the "community bulletin board".  We have all seen these in the area of Guest Relations, with such things as unhosted bridge, Mahjongg, veteran's get together and service club get together.   On Edge, it's an electronic display near Guest Relations.  I will give it a chance and say that it is a work in progress, but on the cruise I just departed this was the situation.  First, I asked if we could put up a notice about pick-up bridge games.  That required the approval of the Guest Relations department and the Event coordinator, who would have to find a place for us to play.  It turns out, there was no place.  The schedule was all "fixed" and there was no way to put in any additional event and, as always, we were told that everything is on the app, and nothing could be added by passengers.  I mentioned the existence "community bulletin board"' to several passengers, none of whom even knew that there was such a thing.  There was no mention of it anywhere and if you didn't happen to glance up at it while standing at that particular Guest Relations desk, you never would have seen it.  

 

Second, where to hold passenger-based trivia.  There are no "extra" spaces on Edge -- there is one meeting room, which as I said, was controlled by the Events manager.  This ship lacks places like a Passport Bar, Cellar Masters, Ensemble, etc.  No one could come up with any suitable place for us to play cards, and I think the same problem would occur if passengers tried to organize their own trivia or name that tune or scattegories.  There's just no place to have them.  You might get to use the meeting room once or twice during a cruise, but for a daily (or twice daily, or thrice daily) trivia, there's not much chance.  

 

 

Thank you for the enlightenment.

 

Then again, I Am the type who would corral up everyone I met aboard to meet me at the Martini Bar to have our own game of Trivia along with the app.

 

Once passengers who would want a low-keyed Martini Bar start to complain, they would find someplace for us to congregate and play. After all, this is what we would want, right?

 

As for The Passenger Choir, nothing like a pop-up choir with a few passengers the second day aboard, then it would swell after that because so many people would think that it was so cool, they would want to join in - all over the ship. Spontaneously.

 

Just imagine the surprise on GA's and other Manager's faces when all of a sudden in a public space passengers just started performing! Priceless...

 

It is our vacation, let us take it and make it what we will and want and not wait for someone else to be proactive. I do realize that not everyone is as 'in your face' as I can be, yet it can be a very positive start for many.

 

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

X  obviously wants the revenue from the electronic trivia...Post indicated activity staff seemed  to make it clear no other options would be facilitated. Sad,,,

 

 No doubt some space(s) will become default card/ mah jongg  room(s)  .That's too bad because it will clutter Solarium , Baccio and  buffet tables..low turnover!

But you can't blame those folks as they have no dedicated space for their games.

 

We are not on board  yet and I am already tired  of over reliance upon electronics  devices, and group speak....Seems they control things quite easily that way.,. From activity postings, windows etc.

 

Famous words.."Theres an app for that"   Kind of ironic because the Celeb website is not  very good..at times!

 

Edited by hcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines ‚ÄúA ‚Äď O‚ÄĚ
      • Cruise Lines ‚ÄúP ‚Äď Z‚ÄĚ
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...