Solstice in Picton today

Couldn't help myself but had to go and photograph Solsticeย  while sheย  is in Port today . In 10 days time it will be us back here in Picton. Its a glorious day so hope it will be the same on Boxing Day! 2nd photo is Picton and 3rd Queen Charlotte Sound from Pictonย IMG_3370.JPG.282df8f18b3c1cd2a3a5c2053ceb483a.JPGIMG_3377.JPG.69aa6756c55d64587d1289094ee43609.JPGIMG_3379.JPG.ffc721d12dd7b1ce9f7b2bdf38e4eda9.JPG

Edited by teigenes

4 hours ago, kiwichick62 said:

Can I please order a sunny day in Picton for January 22nd, I will be arriving on the Solstice that morning.ย  Thanks for posting those great pictures.ย ย ๐Ÿ˜Š

ย 

We would like a sunny day for Jan 20th, as we are taking the Interislander Ferry from Picton to Wellington that morning, ahead of boarding Radiance in Auckland on 24th.

18 hours ago, kiwichick62 said:

Can I please order a sunny day in Picton for January 22nd, I will be arriving on the Solstice that morning.ย  Thanks for posting those great pictures.ย ย ๐Ÿ˜Š

ย 

I'll be back in Picton by then so will do my best for you both!!!!ย  ย :classic_biggrin:

3 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Good job, perhaps lay on a couple of nice bottles as well.

ย 

A couple of bottles of goodย  Marlborough Sauvignonย ย Blanc ย might do the trick for the weather Gods!!ย ๐Ÿ˜Ž

• Like 1

10 hours ago, teigenes said:

ย 

I'll be back in Picton by then so will do my best for you both!!!!ย  ย :classic_biggrin:

Hi, just after a bit of advice from a local, if that's ok. On our driving tour we will be travelling from Westport to Picton on 19th Jan - we are staying at Waikawa that evening ahead of Interislander Ferry trip (don't think it counts as a cruise - about 3.5 hrs, unless I guess Gilligan is on-board??) on 20th. I realise we should have allocated more time for the NE of South Is, but it's locked in now.

Two questions:

1. what are must sees from Westport to Picton

2. I am thinking of going via Nelson, and along the road around the bottom of the sound to Picton, rather than the way the internet wants me to go, via Blenheim - good idea or not?

ย 

Thanks

19 hours ago, mr walker said:

Hi, just after a bit of advice from a local, if that's ok. On our driving tour we will be travelling from Westport to Picton on 19th Jan - we are staying at Waikawa that evening ahead of Interislander Ferry trip (don't think it counts as a cruise - about 3.5 hrs, unless I guess Gilligan is on-board??) on 20th. I realise we should have allocated more time for the NE of South Is, but it's locked in now.

Two questions:

1. what are must sees from Westport to Picton

2. I am thinking of going via Nelson, and along the road around the bottom of the sound to Picton, rather than the way the internet wants me to go, via Blenheim - good idea or not?

ย 

Thanks

ย Interestingly we drove from Westport to Picton last week and while we came down the Wairau Valley, I suggest if you have all day and plenty of time go via Nelson, a nice city and the drive over the hill to Havelock is worth it.ย  You could stopย at the Mount Riley cafe ( just as you come down the hill towards Rai Valley) or the Perlorus Bridge cafeย  for a coffee. Its worth a stop here anyway and goย back to the bridge by footย to see the river. Then from Havelock take the Queen Charlotte Drive to Picton.ย There are plenty of spots you can stop along this road to take photos or just to see the changing views. Allow three quarters to an hour asย  the speed restrictions are ย 50 - 80 kms.

Hope you enjoy your stay here in Picton and when ever I say to my husband I think I have the need for another cruise he says " OK lets go on the Interislander, its much cheaper "ย 

We leave this afternoon for Welington so we can catch the early morning flight to Sydney tomorrow. Then embark on the Solstice on Sunday. Unlikely I will be on this site agin untill we get back on the 10th.ย 

ย 

ย 

5 hours ago, teigenes said:

ย Interestingly we drove from Westport to Picton last week and while we came down the Wairau Valley, I suggest if you have all day and plenty of time go via Nelson, a nice city and the drive over the hill to Havelock is worth it.ย  You could stopย at the Mount Riley cafe ( just as you come down the hill towards Rai Valley) or the Perlorus Bridge cafeย  for a coffee. Its worth a stop here anyway and goย back to the bridge by footย to see the river. Then from Havelock take the Queen Charlotte Drive to Picton.ย There are plenty of spots you can stop along this road to take photos or just to see the changing views. Allow three quarters to an hour asย  the speed restrictions are ย 50 - 80 kms.

Hope you enjoy your stay here in Picton and when ever I say to my husband I think I have the need for another cruise he says " OK lets go on the Interislander, its much cheaper "ย 

We leave this afternoon for Welington so we can catch the early morning flight to Sydney tomorrow. Then embark on the Solstice on Sunday. Unlikely I will be on this site agin untill we get back on the 10th.ย 

ย 

ย 

Bon voyage. The Solstice is my fav ship.