Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
fabby50

Government Shutdown?

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, davekathy said:

 

During the 2013 11 day sequester we were not given back lost pay for those 11 days whether you were an exempt or nonexempt employee. 

 

You weren't?  😮  I'm surprised to hear that.  My agency did compensate fully.  You're actually the first one I've heard that did not get back paid.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

Let's get the facts straight.  People aren't working for no pay!  During the last shutdown, only those employees that were furloughed didn't get paid, but all employees who were working got their pay (Federal employees who perform “emergency work involving the safety of human life or the protection of property” or other types of work will be “excepted” from shutdown furloughs).  Also, the furloughed employees get that lost pay given back to them when they went back to work (Federal employees furloughed during the shutdown in 2013 did receive back pay for the 16 days the government remained closed). 

 

Let's get the facts straight.  Those who are forced to work while their departments are not funded will NOT get their paycheck as usual.  They MAY eventually get paid, but they won't get it now.  Last time there was a long shutdown, some actually weren't paid for months and months.  When you are counting on your salary to pay your mortgage on time, the promise of getting back pay "eventually" doesn't work when your lender comes knocking on your door.   Some TSA and CBP agents are living paycheck to paycheck ($15-$20/hr isn't living high on the hog) - missing one paycheck due to the Trump Shutdown will affect them.  

 

Nobel Peace Prize Nominee Jose Andres is once again offering a free meal to any government employee who is affected by the Trump Shutdown.  They only need to go to one of his restaurants in DC during the lunch hour and they will receive food.  

Edited by slidergirl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

shut down will have not impact  travel... even employees not working  will get paid later, they always do.  I use to work for the federal govt and have been through before. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

 

You weren't?  😮  I'm surprised to hear that.  My agency did compensate fully.  You're actually the first one I've heard that did not get back paid.  

We really thought we would be based on past furloughs. Maybe sequester had different rules. I don't know. All I know none of us in our agency received lost pay for the 11 days. I assumed it was across the board and this is the first I've heard others got reimbursed. 

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, davekathy said:

We really thought we would be. Never happened. I assumed it was across the board.

 

I'm really sorry to hear that.  If there's a silver lining to this shutdown, it's that DOD is not effected.  I'm under DHS, so I am effected.  Luckily I had no holiday travel plans because I'm exempt.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

 

I'm really sorry to hear that.  If there's a silver lining to this shutdown, it's that DOD is not effected.  I'm under DHS, so I am effected.  Luckily I had no holiday travel plans because I'm exempt.  

Possibly DOD was under different rules during the 2013 sequester. 😕 Oh well retirement is great. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by davekathy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

 missing one paycheck due to the Trump Shutdown will affect them.  

 

Sure it will.  Some people were really hurting when they missed 2 paychecks and were never back paid during the Obama Shutdown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

 

Sure it will.  Some people were really hurting when they missed 2 paychecks and were never back paid during the Obama Shutdown. 

 

During the Obama administration a government shutdown occurred during October 1–16, 2013. The primary dispute was the Republicans' desire to delay or defund the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, known as Obamacare.

 

So, based on the actual facts of that shutdown, it should be called "The Republican Shutdown."

 

You have a right to your own opinion, but not to your own facts.

 

Another fact you may not like:

During Obama's 8 years in office, only the one shutdown mentioned above occurred. In just two years of Trump, we have had three. 

Edited by sloopsailor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Come on people! Politics should be left off this thread.  Obviously people are biased and can't see the fault in both sides when things like this happen.  Nothing good can come of political grandstanding on Cruise Critic. 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got off of Norwegian Epic at Port Canaveral this morning .

First day of this shutdown .

Only 2 Custom Officials to process 4500 guests . Long lines but they really were just passing many thru with just a glance at passports to move the lines . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Come on people! Politics should be left off this thread.  Obviously people are biased and can't see the fault in both sides when things like this happen.  Nothing good can come of political grandstanding on Cruise Critic. 😡

Well said.

 

Leave the politics off these boards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Come on people! Politics should be left off this thread.  Obviously people are biased and can't see the fault in both sides when things like this happen.  Nothing good can come of political grandstanding on Cruise Critic. 😡

Agree! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, paul929207 said:

Well said.

 

Leave the politics off these boards.

 

This entire thread is about politics!! What do you think a government shutdown is all about???????????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, sloopsailor said:

 

This entire thread is about politics!! What do you think a government shutdown is all about???????????

 

Read the op. The thread is about how a shut down affects cruising, not the cause for the shutdown. 

 

Big difference. 

 

You’re entitled to your own opinion but not you’re own facts. Sorry you can’t tell the difference. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cruzaholic41 said:

 

Read the op. The thread is about how a shut down affects cruising, not the cause for the shutdown. 

 

Big difference. 

 

You’re entitled to your own opinion but not you’re own facts. Sorry you can’t tell the difference

 

LOL! Must be opposite day in your neighborhood!  Seems as if read that line just a few posts ago. Must be an echo in here.  😉

 

A government shutdown is the direct result of the politics that caused it. That the cruising world is affected by those politics is unavoidable. Can't separate the outcome from the cause. Just like you can separate the symptom from the disease. They unfortunately are intertwined and we are helpless. 

Edited by sloopsailor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A Merry Christmas present to those federal and local employees that won't have to spend Christmas away from their families since AF1 isn't flying to FL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2018 at 10:18 AM, BDRebel said:

Anything is possible.

It is possible for pigs to sprout wings and fly, but it is extremely unlikely.

Certain jobs within the government are considered essential, and therefore those doing those jobs will be ordered to report for work. This includes law enforcement, including Customs and TSA, as well as Coast Guard, Military and Post Office. (front-line workers only. The support.administrative staffs will likely be furloughed). Travel will likely not be affected, unless you were going to a National Park (these will likely be closed).

 

The US Postal Service is not a federal agency and will not be impacted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was cruising when the 2013 shutdown occurred and it certainly affected my cruise. Firstly the immigration and customs officers were down to skeleton staff to process the many passengers so it delayed our first port in Hilo so that no one was off the ship until after noon. Secondly, the national parks were closed and more importantly Pearl Harbour was closed. It ruined many people's days. As for the staff affected, I couldn't tell you but I imagine they were not happy.

Politics aside, these shutdowns are not good for anyone or the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2018 at 4:32 AM, cansas.piligrim said:

I hope the shutdown doesn't  have any influence to cruise passengers

 

Really?  You are more concerned about a few people who have enough money to take a cruise being impacted?  What about those who are forced to work without pay (and, based on the past, may never get paid) to serve those privileged few??   Sorry, but a little inconvenience to cruisers should be the last thing on the mind.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/22/2018 at 12:19 PM, davekathy said:

We really thought we would be based on past furloughs. Maybe sequester had different rules. I don't know. All I know none of us in our agency received lost pay for the 11 days. I assumed it was across the board and this is the first I've heard others got reimbursed. 

The DoD sequester in 2013 and the associated furloughs were different than the 16 days of government shutdown in October 2013. The sequester cut DoD funding, and DoD did 11 days of unpaid furlough to deal with it. In Oct 2013, there was a govt shutdown becaus neither the FY14 appropriation bills nor a CR was passed, so the agencies with no appropriations had to close. That was 16 days and we did get backpay, although delayed.  

 

source: 17 years fed at a small agency that has never had a full appropriation on Oct 1 in the 17 years I’ve been there. Every year is a CR to begin with. And lots of friends at DoD. 

 

Edit: I am really lucky in that my agency is only canceling leave for the days were are shut down. So if it reopens and you have approved leave for that day, you are still on leave. They are also letting us processes our furlough through other means so we do not have to have access to out govt email or servers. So, I still got to take my cruise and even change my plans a bit to stay with family til Friday (instead of tomorrow). Some agencies cancel all leave or make you do everything in person. I count my lucky stars they did this so as not to ruin holiday plans. But I know others who have to cancel family travel plans be at home so they can go in tomorrow for 2 hours to sign their notices. 

Edited by rubytue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

 

Really?  You are more concerned about a few people who have enough money to take a cruise being impacted?  What about those who are forced to work without pay (and, based on the past, may never get paid) to serve those privileged few??   Sorry, but a little inconvenience to cruisers should be the last thing on the mind.  

Really? Someone hopes that people on cruises are not affected and you have a go at them.  Just because they didn't include everyone affected, doesn't mean they meant to exclude them either. It is a cruise forum and there are already lots of posts commiserating about the government workers being affected. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Really? Someone hopes that people on cruises are not affected and you have a go at them.  Just because they didn't include everyone affected, doesn't mean they meant to exclude them either. It is a cruise forum and there are already lots of posts commiserating about the government workers being affected. 

Yes, I am going after them.  It is poor form to only think about a possible few minutes of inconvenience to people who have enough discretionary money to enjoy a vacation and a Christmas cruise.  It is bad enough to have to work on a holiday and not be able to enjoy family, it is doubly evil to have to do it without pay.  It was a not-needed comment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Yes, I am going after them.  It is poor form to only think about a possible few minutes of inconvenience to people who have enough discretionary money to enjoy a vacation and a Christmas cruise.  It is bad enough to have to work on a holiday and not be able to enjoy family, it is doubly evil to have to do it without pay.  It was a not-needed comment.

It is also poor form to continue on a political rant on a site intended to be politics-free.  Please: give it a rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Yes, I am going after them.  It is poor form to only think about a possible few minutes of inconvenience to people who have enough discretionary money to enjoy a vacation and a Christmas cruise.  It is bad enough to have to work on a holiday and not be able to enjoy family, it is doubly evil to have to do it without pay.  It was a not-needed comment.

Wow, I think I’ve worked more holidays from starting work till I changed paths in my mid 30s than I had off 

Edited by GUT2407

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Q&A with the Coral Expeditions Team
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...