Is Specialty Dining Goin' Beggin'???

Hi,

I recently cruised aboard the Mariner of the Seas (Dec. 7 - 10, 2018) and don't think that Jamie's Italian was doing very well. Whenever I went to the Windjammer, there was a waiter outside Jamie's Italian trying to encourage people to make reservations.

Chuck

Was on the Freedom in August and on the first day in the windjammer for lunch we got BOMBBARDED by waiters trying to sell us the Specialty Restaurants and even after we explained MULTIPLE times that were already had reservations, they tried selling us the packages...IT WAS ANNOYING to say the least. 

It's telling if they are trying to push the specialty venues that much.  We get very annoyed at having our meal interrupted with a sales pitch about specialty dining.  On a recent RCI cruise, every night there was a representative from a specialty dining venue roaming the MDR and trying to sell them. I got so annoyed after the fourth or fifth night that I called the head waiter over and told him we were tired of having our dining experience interrupted by sales pitches.  He must've said something because they avoided our table after that, but they still interrupted other diners.

Edited by SargassoPirate
  • Like 1

We were on Oasis last week and the specialty dining seemed empty every night.  We did FNDR ( Cheaper than using  a BOGO) and  changed the assignment to 150 Central Park.  There were only 5 or so tables taken  at 150 at 7:30 PM.  We had a drink most evenings at Trellis Bar in Central Park so we walked through on most nights, and saw that the three restaurants in central park were nearly empty each night.  

We didn't bother any other night and were never approached any special pricing.

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

1 hour ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi,

I recently cruised aboard the Mariner of the Seas (Dec. 7 - 10, 2018) and don't think that Jamie's Italian was doing very well. Whenever I went to the Windjammer, there was a waiter outside Jamie's Italian trying to encourage people to make reservations.

Chuck

Same on Jewel last week. He was there every day of the cruise.

One guy came up to us while eating in the WJ and asked if we would like to book Giovannis for 50% off.

Bill

With all of these comments I would have expected to see some type of reduction in price in my cruise planner. Not so. We haven’t sailed on Royal in years so the MDR menus will be new to us. We are sailing on Anthem. The only restaurant I’m willing to be over charged for is Wonderland. That’s only because I can’t have this experience on land. There are plenty of Italian restaurants and Stekhouses in my area. After reviewing the menu I decided they are just not worth the price. If anything I would just pay an up charge in the MDR for a better steak.

• Like 2

I really didn't want to write this post, but I'm doing it anyway.

They really are not such a premium experience any more.  At all.

So many things go wrong or are sub-par, and I am so disappointed in Royal Caribbean for letting this happen.

Ate at Chops and Giovanni's Table this just-finished cruise on  the  Vision  of the Seas.

I fully expected an excellent experience with delicious food and  outstanding service.  I simply do not feel that we received that in either restaurant.

Chef's Table was very good, although my friends were critical that one of  the wines was Kim Crawford.  😉 😄 And many people told me that they received big discounts which we did not get.  

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

I really didn't want to write this post, but I'm doing it anyway.

They really are not such a premium experience any more.  At all.

So many things go wrong or are sub-par, and I am so disappointed in Royal Caribbean for letting this happen.

Ate at Chops and Giovanni's Table this just-finished cruise on  the  Vision  of the Seas.

I fully expected an excellent experience with delicious food and  outstanding service.  I simply do not feel that we received that in either restaurant.

Chef's Table was very good, although my friends were critical that one of  the wines was Kim Crawford.  😉 😄 And many people told me that they received big discounts which we did not get.  

I agree with your friends.  Years ago, the wines at the Chef's table were nice, and a bit above average.  Now, just plain ordinary table wine.   Kim Crawford can be purchased for less than $10 a bottle ( case price)  at our local wine shop.   Anyone who likes finer  wines would be disappointed at the wine selection at Chef's Table.

Thanks for the comments.

M

We were very surprised on Oasis just over a week ago.  150 CP was 5.00 a person cheaper than Chops.  😮  And he told me they are doing the first and second night BOGO in there now also, which we missed out on.  We had a good meal (love the tenderloin for two) but agree....it was almost empty in there mid week.  AND they allowed drink vouchers for a glass of wine too.  

Things have changed.  

we did the bogo (wonderland and 150 cp) the first 2 nites.. we agreed that if the dining room food was not good we would do the rest of the week specialty dining.. however we found the dining room food and menu improved since 2 years ago.. highlights were rack of lamb, lamb shank, salmon, beet salad, onion soup and escargot..even the strip steak  was tender and cooked to order.... among others... there was no need to spend the extra money for specialty dining as far as we were concerned and we had an excellent waiter ... did mtd.. at  7 every nite.. with reservation, no wait for a table .. maybe this is why the specialty restaurants are not as crowded..

3 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

With all of these comments I would have expected to see some type of reduction in price in my cruise planner. 

I agree.  I have an upcoming Harmony cruise and the price for speciality dining has not gone down.  Conversely, as reported in another thread Izumi price increased when it went from a la carte pricing to fixed pricing.  There is no offer for FNDR in my cruise planner and the UDP is over $200, which is more than it was on a recent Allure sailing ($160).  Maybe less people are going but Royal may also break even.  Speciality dining doesn’t cost the cruise line much more money to operate.  I went to Givannis on the Oasis and the food was awful.  It was lukewarm and tasteless... never again even for free..