Does Avalon allow liquor to be taken on board?

RTLS

I understand that all (or maybe most) river cruise ships allow wine to be taken on board. Do they also allow a good bottle of scotch etc? And am I reading correctly that it's OK to take that drink on deck or in a lounge to enjoy?

So different to Ocean cruise rules.

Thanks for any input.

Yes, you can bring whatever you want on board. We brought local beer & wine from ports, and we also had a bottle of bourbon from home for nightcaps. We did occasionally drink up on deck (it was December, so...) and once did a beer tasting with some friends in the lounge (afternoon when it wasn't really being used, before everyone came in for happy hour....) but in general it's in poor taste to bring your own booze to the bar 😉

Edited by Hoyaheel

Happy hour had half price draft beer (which is what we usually had - they had a couple nice local german options) and half price of some special cocktails - not the entire menu, but a little variety.  I'm not sure it had posted hours, they might have been a little flexible, but 4-6 - basically, after afternoon excursions as people were coming back on board, but before the nightly port talk/dinner started around 6:30....(this was Dec 2014 so apologies if my information is outdated!)

Also realizing they probably had wine specials for happy hour too -I just don't recall having any. I did drink the free wine at dinner and found it fine, though I don't recall it being local (if you ordered the free beer at dinner, it was one of the german drafts - my FIL had that quite often and my husband did a few times as well)

Actually, on the last Avalon cruise we did (the Seine - October 2017), Happy Hour was half price drinks - pretty much everything on the menu.  I seem to remember it was from around 5 pm until the port talk.   I was quite impressed - enjoyed a Gin & Tonic on a few occasions.

Fran

• Thanks 1