Ballroom dancing on Regatta?

Carnevale

My apologies - I suspect this topic has been discussed here before however, I haven't used the new CC format much and I don't seem to be doing things right when I try to search.  I entered "ballroom dancing" + "Oceania Regatta" but that gives me results for many other lines.  As a result, I'm still not sure if there is ballroom dancing on Regatta and, if there is, about how much is scheduled each day.

Also, I know the ship is scheduled for a re-fit in Sept 2019 so I'm not sure if/how this might impact the size and availability of dance floors.  If anyone has info on this and/or can direct me to where I can see what the deck plans will be post re-fit I'd really appreciate it.

We cruise to ballroom dance and did one sailing on Oceania a number of years ago.  We were disappointed as there were only a very small number of opportunities to dance.  We've heard from others that they like dancing on Oceania so we are hoping things have changed or maybe the sailing we were on was an exception and not the norm.

Before we book again on Oceania we'd greatly value the insights of others on CC regarding the experiences they have had or seen onboard.  Thanks in advance!

Try using this exact format (including the AND) in your search:

"ballroom dancing" AND "Oceania"

I've been on both "O"' (larger) and "R" (smaller) Oceania ships when the production band has played ballroom dance music during happy hour in Horizons and in the showroom prior to the evening show.  

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

For more posts on this topic type in “Ballroom dancing” and choose “this forum” and it will limit answers to Oceania forum.

I always see couples dancing for 20 - 30 minutes before shows on R ships - not sure about O ships as the stage is different.

The deckplans aren't changing as the refits which you speak of will alter decor, not structure.

In short, the size and location of the dance floors won't be any different after the changes.

One in the Main Show Lounge and another in Horizons.  

I don't think the ballroom dancing on Oceania is very good and I think you will be disappointed again.  We've met folk on board who were very disappointed as they, like you, cruised to dance.  The best line for ballroom dancing is, IMHO, Cunard.

Some cruise lines feature dancers from the UK version of Strictly Come Dancing as guest artists.  Oceania has many great atributes but I don't think ballroom dancing is one of them.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SellaVee said:

I don't think the ballroom dancing on Oceania is very good and I think you will be disappointed again.  We've met folk on board who were very disappointed as they, like you, cruised to dance.  The best line for ballroom dancing is, IMHO, Cunard.

Some cruise lines feature dancers from the UK version of Strictly Come Dancing as guest artists.  Oceania has many great atributes but I don't think ballroom dancing is one of them.

I agree. Before NCL took over the entertainment, Oceania always had dancers (usually Russians or Ukrainians) as part of the entertainment team. They usually held dancing classes. Those days are gone.

I also agree that probably Cunard is better suited for dancers as I believe they still employ gentleman companions (for dancing) - hence dancing is more important to their clients.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

I agree. Before NCL took over the entertainment, Oceania always had dancers (usually Russians or Ukrainians) as part of the entertainment team. They usually held dancing classes. Those days are gone.

I also agree that probably Cunard is better suited for dancers as I believe they still employ gentleman companions (for dancing) - hence dancing is more important to their clients.

We were on Sirena in November and the "dance couple" (Ukrainian? Victoria and "name-too-difficult-to-remember) in the production team were the same couple from our earlier 2018 transpacific on Insignia. And they offered dance lessons on both of those cruises.

On a side note, it was great to see them again since they had gotten married during the Pacific crossing and there was a great party (including the passengers) onboard to celebrate their union.

2 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

We were on Sirena in November and the "dance couple" (Ukrainian? Victoria and "name-too-difficult-to-remember) in the production team were the same couple from our earlier 2018 transpacific on Insignia. And they offered dance lessons on both of those cruises.

On a side note, it was great to see them again since they had gotten married during the Pacific crossing and there was a great party (including the passengers) onboard to celebrate their union.

Good to hear that as we have always enjoyed their elegance & special skills.

That said, I still think it’s rather the exception than the rule as we haven’t seen this on several of our last O cruises - unless they decided to employ them again?

We just got off the Marina in Nov and there were no Russian dancers on production team :classic_angry:

Many thanks for sharing info on how to search and on dancing on Oceania.  We have sailed a few times on Cunard and agree that the dancing there is very good.  We just keep hoping that there will be other lines that are also options so we have a greater range of itineraries.  HAL used to be good for dancing but is eliminating it and it seems there continues to be some on Princess (but not to the standard of Cunard).

15 hours ago, Carnevale said:

Many thanks for sharing info on how to search and on dancing on Oceania.  We have sailed a few times on Cunard and agree that the dancing there is very good.  We just keep hoping that there will be other lines that are also options so we have a greater range of itineraries.  HAL used to be good for dancing but is eliminating it and it seems there continues to be some on Princess (but not to the standard of Cunard).

If you cruise for Ballroom dancing I think you would be woefully disappointed in Oceania. 

• Like 2