General Info about food on the Nieuw Statendam. (HAL overall)

Wishing on a star

Thank you so much, again, everyone!

I will take all comments to heart.

And, will def. take the suggested advice if we sail.

I will admit, again, that all of this is brought up by a not-so-good experience on Princess.

Our last/prev. cruise on Princess was an EXCELLENT. experience in the MDR.

This time, new dining routines, new menus, cut-backs in food and ingredients.

Night and day.

The live-from bloggers seem to give the food on the Nieuw Statendam high ratings!!!

That is great!

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Thank you so much, again, everyone!

I will take all comments to heart.

And, will def. take the suggested advice if we sail.

I will admit, again, that all of this is brought up by a not-so-good experience on Princess.

Our last/prev. cruise on Princess was an EXCELLENT. experience in the MDR.

This time, new dining routines, new menus, cut-backs in food and ingredients.

Night and day.

The live-from bloggers seem to give the food on the Nieuw Statendam high ratings!!!

That is great!

Our first HAL cruise was on the Volendam and the food in the MDR was so much better than anything we had previously on Carnival of Royal Caribbean cruises. Our next cruise after HAL was on Celebrity and it was disappointing compared to the Volendam. Our second HAL cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam the MDR was just a little less in quality than before. However we had two dinners in the Tamarind Specialty Restaurant and they were the absolutely best meals we have ever had on a cruise. The wasabi crusted tenderloin was better than any steak  in the Pinnacle Grill and better than any land steak house we have tried. The fresh fish and Sushi in the Tamarind were just a fantastic. So my best advice is to just be selective on what you order in the MDR, but DO NOT miss a chance to eat in the Tamarind. Our next cruise in July on the Noordam will not have the Tamarind and we will miss it a lot. Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

We just returned from a cruise aboard Holland America's Eurodam.  After introducing themselves, the main Dining Room servers first ask if anyone has any allergies or dietary restrictions.  Every time.  The food preparation was pretty straight forward, I did not notice a processed taste.  The soups, especially the French onion soup, can be particularly salty, but that’s the case pretty much everywhere other than homemade.  Portions are small, something we like.  I'm sorry to hear about Princess.  I've wanted to try them, but now it sounds like they have gone the way of Carnival and Royal Caribbean and made their food on par with Golden Corral.

• Like 1

I have been on the koningsdam (sister ship) multiple times and have always found the food to be very good.  

Without pre arranging, the dining room was happy to bring me vegetables steamed with no salt and modify many of the dishes without sauces etc.  So I could control what I was eating.  Many people ordered their dishes the day before so they could customize even further.  I don't think you will have any issues.  

• Like 1