Buyer Beware- Bathrobes

Herbaltees

On my last cruise, I purchased the Carnival Robe. It was delivered wrapped in plastic. Since, I had one in my room I never opened it until I got home and was ready to wear my robe.

It is NOT the same heavy weight waffle weave robe. It looks the same through the plastic, but it is not. This robe is much lighter, and the waffle is not a weave, it is stamped pressed into the fabric. I'm so disappointed.

I called Carnival and they gave me the number to Harding Brothers (the fun shops vendor) to complain. I've called every other day for the past three weeks, now. No one ever answers the phone, and no one calls me back.

I have no other recourse but to warn others.

Edited by Herbaltees
spelling
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Herbaltees said:

On my last cruise, I purchased the Carnival Robe. It was delivered wrapped in plastic. Since, I had one in my room I never opened it until I got home and was ready to wear my robe.

It is NOT the same heavy weight waffle weave robe. It looks the same through the plastic, but it is not. This robe is much lighter, and the waffle is not a weave, it is stamped pressed into the fabric. I'm so disappointed.

I called Carnival and they gave me the number to Harding Brothers (the fun shops vendor) to complain. I've called every other day for the past three weeks, now. No one ever answers the phone, and no one calls me back.

I wonder if you had opened it, if you could have just swapped it for the one in the room?

52 minutes ago, Herbaltees said:

Interesting about the "faux weave", since the description in the Fun Shops listing states (bold my emphasis):

Item # 775

SUITE ROBE

$49.95

Our 100% cotton honeycomb weave bathrobes are delightfully cozy, soft and ultra absorbent. 

Obviously a stamped pattern is a complete bait and switch.  I would complain too!

39 minutes ago, pacruise804 said:

If you paid the ship charges with a credit card, could you dispute the charges since it wasn't the advertised product?

Thanks for the heads-up/warning.

Im hesitant because I believe the whole bill was charged as one lump sum, including the gratuities etc. 

but it’s worth a conversation with 

my cc company. Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Herbaltees said:

Im hesitant because I believe the whole bill was charged as one lump sum, including the gratuities etc. 

but it’s worth a conversation with 

my cc company. Thanks!

Did they give you a receipt for the robe?  Did you keep the printed final account statement that you were given on debarkation day?  Both of these would list the individual charge for the robe.

My credit card company will let me contest only part of a charge.  Hopefully yours will too.

4 hours ago, Herbaltees said:

Of course you do. First I would call back Carnival and explain what is going on. The third party vendor is responsible to Carnival and you. If that does not resolve your issue file a fraud claim with your CC company and get an address to send back the robe. Also get a return receipt signature so someone signs for the robe. I would not give in and insist on a refund. 

Hmmm that is interesting. I was on the pride in October and ordered a robe. It did not come until the last night and the steward told dh they were out of the one I wanted but brought me another one that was “better”. Took one look at it and said no thanks - definitely not the same quality. 

I'm wondering if it will fluff up after a few washings? When I purchase new towels, it takes several washings before they are extra plushy. They often tend to use a lot of starch on things that are flat packed for sale because it saves space. I also had this happen to me when I ordered a huge pile of washcloths on ebay. When they arrived, there were 48 wash cloths stuffed into a usps mailer that fit inside my mailbox. After washing them, I had a laundry basket full of normal towels.

Edited by Doggielover68

21 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

I'm wondering if it will fluff up after a few washings? When I purchase new towels, it takes several washings before they are extra plushy. They often tend to use a lot of starch on things that are flat packed for sale because it saves space. I also had this happen to me when I ordered a huge pile of washcloths on ebay. When they arrived, there were 48 wash cloths stuffed into a usps mailer that fit inside my mailbox. After washing them, I had a laundry basket full of normal towels.

No amount of fluffing will remove the false description about the woven fabric when it has been merely pressed into the garment. Bait and switch tactics are unbecoming to say the least.

If anything after a few washings the pressed on "woven" print might disappear and the "you are there" look to the fabric will be but a memory and a short one at that.

Edited by sanmarcosman

32 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

No amount of fluffing will remove the false description about the woven fabric when it has been merely pressed into the garment. Bait and switch tactics are unbecoming to say the least.

If anything after a few washings the pressed on "woven" print might disappear and the "you are there" look to the fabric will be but a memory and a short one at that.

Are we even sure it is merely pressed onto the fabric? There is no photo or side by side comparison. I was offering a suggestion that may or may not help. OP already has the robe at home with no response from the company. There is nothing to lose by trying. 

Edited by Doggielover68

3 minutes ago, Doggielover68 said:

Are we even sure it is merely pressed onto the fabric? There is no photo or side by side comparison. I was offering a suggestion that may or may not help. OP already has the robe at home with no response from the company. There is nothing to lose by trying. 

The OP did say the weave was pressed on so I went with that because they impress me as knowing what they're talking about. But sure, no loss in trying.

Edited by sanmarcosman

Carnival is the one who misrepresented the product. It is their responsibility. They shouldn't have just turned you over to the vendor.  At the very least they should do their own investigation to assure the robes being sold are the same ones being provided to passengers.

• 2 weeks later...

I ended up speaking with Carnival again and they gave me a refund. The rep said they used to be able to send out replacement items,  but thanks they can’t because the duty free laws have changed.

In any case, I’m satisfied with my refund.