Michaels Club crowding with zenith?

cindivan

We typically have cruised RC but as DH and I become empty nesters next year we are branching out. One cruise we have talked about for a long time is a TA. Recently there was a thread on RC where people who had booked suites on a TA were saying how disappointed they were to find how crowded the suite lounge (equivalent to Michaels lounge I think) and the Coastal Kitchen (equivalent to Luminae?) were with pinnacle members (the highest loyalty members on RC of which I doubt DH and i will ever be).  They were saying how it very much decreased the value of booking a suite when they couldn’t make reservations at Coastal Kitchen on a regular basis.   There was also several comments about entitlement attitude which I won’t get into. The thread got quite long and there wasn’t a whole lot of disagreement that there are a lot of pinnacles on TA cruises (and longer off-season cruises in general) and sometimes do compete with suite guests for room in the lounge and Coastal Kitchen. 

A TA will probably be a few years out for us, but it just made me wonder if Celebrity was like that. We have loved the cruises we have done with Celebrity so it’s in the running for us, and if we splurge for a suite we want to be able to take advantage of this benefits. It’s my understanding that Zenith have access to Michaels but not Luminae.   

Any one have thoughts/exoperience regarding this?

TIA

Edited by cindivan

On Celebrity Xenith do not have access to the suite dining room. Michael's Club is a good size space and since complimentary beverages are available throughout the day and evening, it is not like everybody tries to use it during the same time (occasionally it can become a bit crowded if the Concierge has planned a special event or presentation inside the club that is of interest to most). Celebrity does not have a very large amount of Xenith cruisers, so the chances of so many being on any given cruise as to overwhelm Michael's Club is extremely slim. The Xeniths I have met in Michael's have been very friendly and helpful and have greatly enjoyed their company (and felt their presence enhanced rather than took away from Micahel's Club). If anything Michael's Cub can be a little slow at times; overcrowding rarely seems to be an issue.

We echo Gonzo70.  We are in Suites and Zenith members.  Luminae is for  Suite guests only, not for Zenith.  Michael's Club has never been overcrowded.  We were on a RCL cruise a while back and we agree with what you say.  There are so many Diamond Plus and Pinnacle members that the lounge values have decreased, in fact we do not fine the lounges enjoyable at all on RCL.  The number of Zenith on Celebrity is very very few compared to RCL.  

Micheals was not crowded at all on our last cruise and had no issues getting time we wanted for luminae. We also just returned from oasis and even though there was a large group of pinnacles we had no issue getting seat in lounge or time we wanted   for costal kitchen. After doing both this year I perfer celebrity suite perks over rccl, but view in rccl lounge for oasis on deck 17 was really nice.

We have been in a suite a few times.  Michael’s Club was rarely crowded and most times empty except if they was some special event.   

The few times we did have drinks in there but found the place to be dead and basically limited on drinks available.   I have heard some claim that they get special treatment and special drinks but the few times we asked for something a little more than a simple cocktail or standard wine we were told that they don’t have it or can’t make it.   

With the drink pack I think most find more exciting places to be.

The place is very crowded on embarkation day as I think many are in there waiting for Luminae or the cabins to open.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

With Zenith members having the beverage package as a perk, and many suite passengers also having it, Michael’s is rarely crowded. And Zeniths do have access to Michael’s , but not Luminae. Having said that, be advised that on TA cruises, suite passengers, below those in Royal suites and higher, do not have any perks included. Therefore, Michael’s will be more crowded with passengers taking advantage of the complementary beverages in there. 

I happen to be be one of those folks who enjoys the laid back, quiet atmosphere of Michael’s Club.  I often meet and chat with the other guests in there, who share my love of peace and quiet. If someone is looking for a crowd and a more party like atmosphere, he/she may prefer the Martini Bar. 

Having been in a number of the RCCL concierge/suite lounges, I can identify with your concerns. On a number of cruises, I have seen the boorish behavior of some of the Pinnacles. The  idea that they have to share space with others that are not Pinnacles is abhorrent to them. They make it quite clear that they view non Pinnacles as unworthy of even common courtesy. (I have also met Pinnacles who were lovely.) Never had anything remotely like this on Celebrity.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gonzo70 said:

The Xeniths I have met in Michael's have been very friendly and helpful and have greatly enjoyed their company (and felt their presence enhanced rather than took away from Micahel's Club). 

What a very nice comment. 😊

We are Zenith level loyalty members who book Aqua, Sky Suites and Celebrity Suites.  Celebrity guards the actual number of Zenith members as if that number is as important as the formula for Coke.  But there are so few of us that our impact on Michael's Club is rather minimal.  In addition to MC being at times a bit crowded on evenings when the MC Concierge has arranged for a special music or speaker presentation, the night when the Senior Officer's social gathering is held in MC it can also be a bit crowded -- but generally not with the Zeniths as we have met so many of the senior officers so many times over the years.  

1 hour ago, Straughn said:

With Zenith members having the beverage package as a perk, and many suite passengers also having it, Michael’s is rarely crowded. And Zeniths do have access to Michael’s , but not Luminae. Having said that, be advised that on TA cruises, suite passengers, below those in Royal suites and higher, do not have any perks included. Therefore, Michael’s will be more crowded with passengers taking advantage of the complementary beverages in there. 

This applies to TA, TP and re-positioning cruises. We have a sky suite booked for Santiago (San Antonio), Chile to San Diego. No perks with sky suite. I've only met 5 Zenith members so far. They have all been very nice and interesting to talk too.

8 minutes ago, cruising teacher said:

We are one of the original Zeniths. Early on Zeniths were invited. No longer. Are you sure that you were not also traveling in a Suite?

No -- we have received them when booked into Aqua staterooms.  We have received the list of MC events and also have had the MC concierge remind us to attend (which we generally don't).  For example, we were in Aqua last fall for a B2B on the Millennium, and on both legs received the list of MC events with encouragement to attend.   Has happened with in Aqua on other ships as well.  Wonder why you are not receiving them too.  Perhaps we are just lucky.

To the OP -- remember that the number of Pinnacles far exceeds the number of Zeniths.  No one knows exactly how many Zeniths there are, but 300-350 is a good estimate.  The most that have ever been on one ship at one time is still under 25.  Some of them were in staying Suites so they could have been in Michael's Club anyway.  There were 22 on the first Edge 7 night cruise, and I believe that there are six on board now.   Unless things drastically change, the number of Zeniths on a cruise doesn't really cause any crowding in Michael's Clubs.

Thanks for everyone’s thoughtful and informative replies.   

If my original question seemed to be negative about Pinnacles I apologize. That was not my intention.  We also have met Pinnacles who are awesome and with whom we enjoy conversations and spending time.  I’m sure the same is true of many Zeniths who we hope to meet one day (Asia feb 2, 2020 Milleineum anyone?).  

I don’t want to get involved in who deserves to be where. That is not my decision.  I just try to be a well informed consumer and you have been very helpful. Thanks 

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

I have been Zenith for a while now.Is there a social group or web site as  a way to get in touch with other Zenith members?

i don't cruise that many, so far I only met a few.

On my last cruise there were only 19 and I hardly met them in MC.

The only time I met was on the Zeniths Lunch with Officials..

Verizon.

10 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

No -- we have received them when booked into Aqua staterooms.  We have received the list of MC events and also have had the MC concierge remind us to attend (which we generally don't).  For example, we were in Aqua last fall for a B2B on the Millennium, and on both legs received the list of MC events with encouragement to attend.   Has happened with in Aqua on other ships as well.  Wonder why you are not receiving them too.  Perhaps we are just lucky.

I don't tend to travel in suites [usually AquaClass; sometimes Concierge Class] but, as a Zenith member, have always been invited and encouraged to attend the Officers' Gathering [and all other events] in Michael's Club too...

Best to you and C, G...

There were 22 Zenith cruisers on our Silhouette TA in November.  Some of whom were in suites.  Michael’s was very busy at times, with standing room only. I don’t believe that was down to the Zeniths.  No drinks packages means people go there and stay there to take advantage of the bar in Michael’s.  We bought a premium drinks package when it was reduced.  Out of 14 SS we were told by our butler that we were the only guests to have one. 

At other times you coukd have heard a pin drop.  We were the only people in there.  

Do people actually go out of their way to find out who's who? What difference does it make? The only time I have found Michael's Club crowded is on Reflection on TAs because there are more suites than on other ships and no drink packages included on most TAs.  Now, with Edge Class, it might be different but that remains to be seen. As someone said Zeniths have a premium drink package at all times so it's not as likely that they would be there.

Edited by Ma Bell

1 hour ago, Ma Bell said:

Do people actually go out of their way to find out who's who? What difference does it make? The only time I have found Michael's Club crowded is on Reflection on TAs because there are more suites than on other ships and no drink packages included on most TAs.  Now, with Edge Class, it might be different but that remains to be seen. As someone said Zeniths have a premium drink package at all times so it's not as likely that they would be there.

Have to agree with you.   I find that MC is much busier on all ships for Repositioning and TA's as most passengers in Suites do not get "Free" drink packages. On our last cruise (TP) we noticed that the bar would get busy with Suite Guests stopping in to get a glass of wine to bring to dinner in Luminea.  Zenith's on the other hand do get premium beverage packages even on repositioning cruises so are not using Michael's club for this purpose.