Juneau and Hiking

lizabet623

Hi everyone

I am looking for some feedback on a Carnival Excursion. Its the Guides Choice Adventure Hike.

1. Does anyone have any opinions on it?

2. Does anyone know what time it possibly leaves and returns? (Its 4.5 hours)

I would like to be able to do this and the Mt Roberts Tram (on my own) depending what time the above gets back.

Schedule as of now, which of course is subject to change, is Juneau 9:00am - 11:00 pm.

Thanks for help. These boards are a wealth of information

You should have plenty of time for Mt Robert's with this ship excursion due to your long port time. In a couple months the schedules should be out for Carnival with the times. Mt Roberts can be just purchased at the dock so you could even decide when you get there.

My wife and I were in Juneau last May. We did the Mendenhall Glacier excursion that included a salmon bake afterwards. We got to back to

the main part of Juneau (downtown plus the port area) at around 3:30

and then went up the Mt. Roberts Tram. Once you get off the tram, you can get another good hike in by going to the top of Mt. Roberts. it took about a half hour or more, but it's definitely worth it once you reach the top. You definitely will have enough time to do Mt. Roberts. Don't do the exursion that goes with it, just go to Mt. Roberts Tram and buy your ticket there.

Has anyone ever walked the Outer Point Trail on Douglas? If it's nice, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get there without too much trouble...taxi or renting a car? I think RCI used to offer a bus trip there, but it was expensive and walking on a trail with 40 people is not very appealing to me! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Has anyone ever walked the Outer Point Trail on Douglas? If it's nice, does anyone have any suggestions on how to get there without too much trouble...taxi or renting a car? I think RCI used to offer a bus trip there, but it was expensive and walking on a trail with 40 people is not very appealing to me! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Taxi, and arrange your pick when you are dropped off, or have the cab phone number- try out your cell phone prior. :)

The Outer Point trail is nice and easy, but your best bet is to get a rental car. After cab fares each way, it probably won't be much higher; plus, you'll enjoy the freedom of time and exploration. I'd also seriously look at the Perseverance Trail, which is just outside downtown Juneau. That could also be a much cheaper option if a car rental is too high for your budget.

Check out this great website for some basic information:

http://www.juneau-guide.com/juneau-alaska-hiking.htm

If you do decide to rent a car, i highly recommend the Windfall Lake Trail.

Thanks everyone and BQ! BQ, do you know a reliable taxi company in Juneau...I don't want to be stuck out on Douglas! Should I arrange this before we get to Juneau, or can I find a taxi at the dock? Sadly, we are only in Juneau from 12:30-8:30, and I want to explore a little bit of Juneau since we were there last year and missed the whole town because of shore excursions. It was the only town that I wished I could have spent more time in. Not for shopping, just for exploring! Renting a car seems like too much trouble for this short trip, because I think that I would somehow have to get to the airport to pick up a car?! If it's not a crazy idea, I think I'll try to find a taxi.:)

Thanks everyone and BQ! BQ, do you know a reliable taxi company in Juneau...I don't want to be stuck out on Douglas! Should I arrange this before we get to Juneau, or can I find a taxi at the dock? Sadly, we are only in Juneau from 12:30-8:30, and I want to explore a little bit of Juneau since we were there last year and missed the whole town because of shore excursions. It was the only town that I wished I could have spent more time in. Not for shopping, just for exploring! Renting a car seems like too much trouble for this short trip, because I think that I would somehow have to get to the airport to pick up a car?! If it's not a crazy idea, I think I'll try to find a taxi.:)

Rent A Wreck is a good value and they include pick up downtown, which most other companies do not- add at least $30 for a cab. They also in the past have allowed late drop off downtown, which would be convenient for you, for an extra fee. I consistantly see Capital Cabs everywhere in Juneau. But with this listing, you may want to contact them inquire about pricing and pick up etc.

http://www.magicyellow.com/category/Taxicabs/Juneau_AK.html

• 1 month later...
I am looking for some feedback on a Carnival Excursion. Its the Guides Choice Adventure Hike.

1. Does anyone have any opinions on it?

So *does* anyone know anything about the Guide's Choice Adventure Hike? I was thinking of taking this hike through Princess. Any info or opinions? Thanks!

sayhello

Archived