Cruise Critic Community
gmarsh

Caribbean Christmas on Symphony - Here We Go!

Wednesday 12/19...the calm before the storm.

Packing has been underway for three weeks for some...the magical 50 lb limit...I don't need 18 shirts...we can utilize the on board dry cleaning and laundry facilities.

Coordination of the family arrivals to NoLa, well they know what time the boat leaves so they better be on board or....see you in Cozumel.

Lady Jean and I plan to board ASAP on Saturday, head for Lido and a cheezeborger and fries.  We will await the arrival of our four kids, their hubby's and wives and our two adorable grand-girls, 8 and 2. 

After almost 20 months of waiting, we are poised to get BOARDING PASSES this morning!  Two days in NoLa seeking food and tunes and maybe some more food.

I am cutting way back on gear.  No binocs, big cameras, suit, jackets, a few dress shirts and ties for the BTO nights.  Gonna go with a tiny little Canon pocket cam. 12mpand a nice little zoom.  I figure with 10 adults, we can share pictures.

I hope to include some daily notes and some pics to share as the two weeks progress.

Merry Christmas and Happy Prosperous New Year to all.

Geo and Jean

IMG_8049.png

17 minutes ago, goldengatecruisers said:

Have a wonderful cruise on Symphony over the holidays with your family.  Many of us will be 'coming along' with you.

Thanks GGCruisers!  Half of our group has NEVER cruised before.  I expect they will be Crystalized very quickly.

"You mean we can just go to the bar and get a drink without a bill AND they have room service too!!?"

Geo,

wishing you and your family a wonderful cruise.  I look forward to following along.

Nancy

Geo and Jean....

Bon Voyage.

Enjoy every minute.

We will wave to you from Serenity.

Happy Holidays.

Keith

I'm up, stop that noise!!

It's still dark of course.

The puppies know something's up...the suitcases are a dead giveaway and one cat thinks he's coming with...

Checked the NoLa weather...it's a gale warning that we're flying into today...of course!

Symphony is off Honduras somewhere...I hope they remember the way back!

We meet the daughter and DH and their little one at the airport and fly together.

Let's hope everyone is on their toes today!

G

%kROKbCLRTq98f6d36JAZg_thumb_da20.jpg

Hello Geo and Jean.  I sure wish I could see the looks on the faces and hear the comments from all the first time cruisers in your family!  What a wonderful way to celebrate Christmas and the New Year for all of you.  I look forward to hearing about your cruise as it unfolds......it makes me happy to read about people having fun!

~Nancy

We are currently on Symphony in winds of 50-60 knots since last night.

Captain informed us due to the storm our arrival into New Orleans will be delayed until 12 noon tomorrow.

Following! I'm eager to hear your thoughts on everything Symphony, as I'm going to be on her in a month. I've never spent a Christmas on a cruise ship - something I've always wanted to do. I'm sure there's no better cruise line to spend the holidays with than Crystal - I'm sure it will be super special!

3 hours ago, TER777 said:

Embarkation expected to be 3pm as per friends currently on board. 

Hey there, YES, CONFIRMED via Crystal email and telephonic comms with The Home Office.

This is an important notification regarding embarkation in New Orleans tomorrow, December 22, 2018. The ship is encountering poor weather conditions on her route to New Orleans and, as of now, we expect the ship to arrive in the early afternoon. Once we disembark the current guests and prepare the ship for our embarking guests, we anticipate that embarkation will commence at approximately 4 p.m.

If you plan on arriving for embarkation after 4pm tomorrow, please feel free to go directly to the pier. If you plan on arriving in New Orleans tomorrow before 4:00 pm, however, please proceed to the Hilton New Orleans Riverside rather than going directly to the pier. The address of the Hilton is as follows:

• Hilton New Orleans Riverside
    Two Poydras Street
    New Orleans, LA 70140

Lunch will be served at the hotel between 12 p.m. and 6 p.m. Should you prefer to drop off their luggage at the pier prior to proceeding to the hotel, you may do so. Crew members will be on hand to accept and hold their luggage at the pier.

Edited by gmarsh

Good morning all!

As Auntie Mame said, “It’s Today!.

Flexibilty is the word for today.  Late checkouts needed and hold the luggage. Crystal did a great job of notifications for the late arrival of Symphony today.  I hope they were able to make up some time after the storms.

Had a super dinner at Backspace with my first Sazerac. Yummy. 

Later all🎅🏻🎉🚢🎄🎁🍷🍻

When I looked at the webcams it was just dawn and the ship was still in the Gulf. Could see the lights from all the oil rigs.

Bon Voyage to your family. 

Patty

Made it on board.  Horrible directions given by Crystal on how exactly to get into secret pier area.

600 Poland St. is where they told us...not!

Its a liquor store.

There were no signs anywhere that said Crystal turn in here...

But, once at the correct place, boarding was quite easy.

i just love how our Lido Deck team recognized us when we got uptop.

13F3BD4F-249B-49ED-A195-F64162C740DC.jpeg

FFE4F89C-BCCF-47A3-8F95-5F4357852205.jpeg

Geo,

Wishing you and your family a wonderful cruise and joyous holidays.  It's so great that you will be cruising  and enjoying the holidays with your kids and grand kids.  

I will be especially interested in hearing about how your 2 year old fares on a luxury line.  My wife and I are taking our children and 2 year old grandson on Silversea in a few months to celebrate a special occasion.

Bob

Good Morning!

Bacon odors have awakened us.

Our last group was delayed three hours and arrived about 930p.

Crystal was ready in a jiffy to board them at the main desk and into their stateroom.

Today we muster at 315p and sail at 4.

NO life jackets needed for muster any more!

Merry Merry!

EAA2192C-9619-4AE9-B238-44231C0D3D08.jpeg

9 hours ago, gmarsh said:

NO life jackets needed for muster any more!

Merry Merry!

EAA2192C-9619-4AE9-B238-44231C0D3D08.jpeg

Enjoy your cruise.

Must admit, the comment about lifejackets surprises me.  Not sure how I feel about this change to procedure.